XCOM 2
Shadow Ops LW2 Class Pack
xylthixlm  [developer] Feb 25, 2017 @ 2:58pm
Balance discussion
This is for balance feedback and suggestions.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 167 comments
A Wizard Did It Feb 26, 2017 @ 3:45pm 
After a quick start with a few of these and leveling some of them up, one thing that jumped out at me right away is I think the Combat Engineer may start off a bit strong. The combo of smoke & mirrors and fastball gives them access to a tremendous amount of utility in a single turn. I'd recommend making fastball a higher tier talent since it's pretty ridiculously good on its own. Originally this class had a squaddie talent that made it do more to objects which I really liked as a flavor thing even if it was of really limited use. I feel like that should come back in place of Fastball.
Last edited by A Wizard Did It; Feb 26, 2017 @ 5:20pm
Rifle Man Feb 26, 2017 @ 11:30pm 
I`m agree with you. Fastball should put it on the higher rank. The same as Fullkit. Maybe put them on the same rank would be more balance. Fullkit Genaders are very spamable in legend. A Fullkit and double grenades class is overkill.

Demo Grenades is very usefull too. It add 10 Environment Damage to your Flag Genades. So, the env damage of a Demo Flag Genades is 19, it could takd down most cover in battlefield. Its very powerfull than Sapper & Combat Engineer(add 3 and 8 env damage). But less than their combination (add 11 env damage).This perk seems could put it on later rank as well.

Fastball, Fullkit & Demo Grenades could be become the last perk on Master Sergeant. However, Fullkit still win in the most case.
xylthixlm  [developer] Feb 26, 2017 @ 11:49pm 
If I was going to take Fastball off squaddie, I'd probably remove Bombardier to make room (no big loss). The trouble is finding a place to put Fastball where it's not just the best perk. Maybe SGT, but it's still pretty good compared to Lightning Reflexes.

Full Kit could easily swap places with HEAT Warheads.
Rifle Man Feb 27, 2017 @ 6:19am 
The most easy way to balance Fastball is turn cooldown to 7 rounds. In the most missions in LW2, you cant use Fastball more than twice.
Odebate Feb 27, 2017 @ 9:07am 
Fastball would be an acceptable replacement for Bombardier at the SGT rank. It would make a competative pick against Lightning Reflexes however, what are your thoughts on swapping Lightning Reflexes with Precision Shot? Or dumping Precision Shot for Slug Shot? Having Slug Shot opposed to Fastball at SGT would be a very good matchup. Lighting Reflexes vs Dense Smoke at CPL isn't a bad skill matchup either, it also gives Pioneer CE some survivability in the earlier ranks.

Also, Bombardier could have a home further down the tree. Damn Good Ground feels like a filler perk to me, might make a good replacement with Bombardier.

Finally, Demo Grenades feels very potent at LCPL rank. +10 Env Dmg is a bit much (in my opinion). I'm going to try playing around with +5/+6/+7 and see what feels best (to me).

Onto the Dragoon for a moment. I haven't had enough time to sufficiently level the class yet (experimenting with Ghost half of the tree for now) but, what's with Area Suppression at TSGT? The Dragoon has plenty of squad utility without Area Suppression, with it, this class starts to feel like a Swiss Army Knife.

I'd like to vie for replacing Area Suppression with Will to Survive and adding Combat Fitness into the tree at GSGT. Will to Survive is a viable alternative to Aegis and Combat Fitness gives the stat starved Dragoons (in the case of NCE or Hidden Potential) to catch-up in the later ranks. Combat Fitness also provides a solid alternative to Rocketeer, giving the Dragoon more all-round survivability.
Last edited by Odebate; Feb 27, 2017 @ 9:20am
xylthixlm  [developer] Feb 27, 2017 @ 9:49am 
Area Suppression is on the Dragoon mainly because it doesn't fit the theme of the Juggernaut and I wanted it available to at least one cannon-using class. It's also on the Infantry, but since they can't use cannons it uses all the ammo in the rifle and can't actually take shots without an expanded magazine.

The Dragoon being a jack-of-all-trades is deliberate, although they lean heavily towards more defensive abilities.
DarkrimXtrike Feb 27, 2017 @ 9:54am 
I like the Swiss army knife feel of the Dragoon. Not strong on offensive but extremely useful all around
xylthixlm  [developer] Feb 27, 2017 @ 10:30am 
@Debatoo, I like to put defensive perks against other defensive perks, so swapping Lightning Reflexes and Focused Defense up to CPL makes a lot of sense. Lightning Reflexes also fits the Pioneer theme well, and I like to put the main subclass theme-setting perks at LCPL and CPL.

I still like having Precision Shot against Slug Shot. Precision Shot lets the shotgun hit really hard against an exposed enemy, and combos with the other crit perks Pioneer gets.
Kaerius Feb 27, 2017 @ 4:09pm 
Originally posted by xylthixlm:
@Debatoo, I like to put defensive perks against other defensive perks, so swapping Lightning Reflexes and Focused Defense up to CPL makes a lot of sense. Lightning Reflexes also fits the Pioneer theme well, and I like to put the main subclass theme-setting perks at LCPL and CPL.

I still like having Precision Shot against Slug Shot. Precision Shot lets the shotgun hit really hard against an exposed enemy, and combos with the other crit perks Pioneer gets.
I really don't like precision shot with shotgun at all. It requires 2 actions. So you have a shotgun with range issues and you need to stand still(or add an action via command) to use it. The situation where it's actually useful is very rare, and weighed heavily towards ambush(and it's not a great choice for that) or in combination with cover destruction.

If it was a single action, it would be awesome for shotgunners, but it's not. Unless you tweaked it(I may have missed that).
Last edited by Kaerius; Feb 27, 2017 @ 4:10pm
xylthixlm  [developer] Feb 27, 2017 @ 4:16pm 
I did in fact tweak it, it's a single action with shotguns. Same for Deadeye on the Juggernaut.
Odebate Feb 27, 2017 @ 6:34pm 
@xylthixlm - Understood on Dragoon. If the intention is for the class to be a "jack-of-all trades" then I would say you have succeded with the tree. If we're looking at the Shadows Ops Pack as a replacement for LW2's classes (I myself am using both) then I agree with your logic for Area Suppression. I don't think Will to Survive should go, Dragoon is one of the classes that has the appropriate positioning and use for the skill. What are your thoughts behind Rocketeer in the Paladin tree? That seems like a skill that should belong in the Juggernaut's Siege tree.

Speaking of, do you think Roust should be replaced with anything? Inferno, Phosphorous, or Napalm-X? More on the Juggernaut later, still in the process of leveling one (I built the Siege tree).

For Pioneer, if you move Lightning Reflexes and Focused Defense to CPL and Precision Shot plus Slug Shot down to SGT, will Bombardier remain at the SGT level? Or will you replace Bombardier with Fast Ball and move Bombardier further down (or remove it entirely)?

Also, Survivalist has an incredible early game. Hipfire + Implacable + Both Barrels has been carrying March and April. I'll post more on Survivalist in a couple days.
Last edited by Odebate; Feb 27, 2017 @ 6:37pm
xylthixlm  [developer] Feb 27, 2017 @ 6:40pm 
Bombardier would be removed entirely and replaced with Fastball. I'd probably put an old skill that got cut back on Combat Engineer squaddie (Saboteur: primary weapon shots deal +2 damage to targetable objects like relays and gas tanks).

Rocketeer is on Paladin because it fits a Paladin sub-theme of working well with heavy armor (EXO/WAR). It's been on Paladin since the first (pre-LWPP) shadow ops. I looked into putting it on Juggernaut but ran out of room for rocket perks.
Nijugo-Cinq Feb 27, 2017 @ 8:32pm 
I just ran a comms tower with a 2xhunter 2xsurvivalist scrapper team, hunters were sword and ambush, survavalists were watch and sawdoff and the scrapper was bareknuckle, and JEESUS the damage output, the mission was 13 enemies and the only shot the enemy had was the naja camped on top of the last building, he missed and then i tripple move sword killed him, the synergy there is just incredible
DarkrimXtrike Feb 28, 2017 @ 4:26am 
I find the juggernaut flamethower to be kind of underwhelming, as he doesnt have any perks to improve it besides roust/more charges/firestorm which doesnt really add anything to the normal one. I was thinking maybe incinerator, napalm-x. One that instead of giving it longer reach gives it wider area would be cool, I dont know if thats possible.
Last edited by DarkrimXtrike; Feb 28, 2017 @ 4:29am
Phrozehn Feb 28, 2017 @ 9:49am 
I agree with DarkrimXtrike. Would love to see more flamer augmentation in interesting ways, to be honest. Width/Length improvements, added effects. Increased burning, or something new all together :)
< >
Showing 1-15 of 167 comments
Per page: 1530 50