Dota 2
The Next Generation - Hero Concepts
 This topic has been pinned, so it's probably important
SwordBacon  [developer] Aug 27, 2015 @ 7:37pm
Balance Discussion Thread
Discuss and suggest balance changes on the current roster! This will become more relevant as more heroes are added.
Last edited by SwordBacon; Aug 27, 2015 @ 7:56pm
< >
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
zhyago Feb 4, 2016 @ 12:51pm 
Some Feedback on Veera:

Disclaimer: I played Veera twice now. So this is a first impression! Still i thougth some feedback would be appreciated.

Q: Toxic Darts
- Didnt felt right that the applied effect is random. Makes its use more a matter of "the more the better" than well measured debuff/disable. Id prefer 1 reliable effect the works well with rest of the skillset.
- I like it being a skillshot.
- It's countered hard by Magic Stick/Wand. Maybe give it a special power: dissipates 1 stickcharge per hit :D

W: Evasive Roll
- Didnt like that skill at all. its like the ♥♥♥♥♥♥ version of Miranas Leap and found myself rarely using it. Indeed i often found myself turning on spot to use it like Miranas Leap...
- Maybe make it give a bunch of stacks of E when used. Then it would be of use as kickstarter.

E: Plains Runner
- The skill which the hero resolves around. I like the idea.
- Maybe rephrase "Extra Movespeed" to "Movespeed above 300".
- Had problems keeping up stacks (but maybe im just bad): Two suggestions: faster growth, lower cap and/or lower turning penalty

R: Thrill of the Hunt
- Needs to be fixed: Camera should only move for Veera's player
- A CD of 35/30/25 is displayed in the tooltip while the skill is active (Should be 140/120/100)
- Its not a bad skill but i felt the CD is very long for the low impact it had. For comparison: Warruners ulti has a 90/75/60 CD and Bloodseeker Thirst is active as long as an enemy has low HP.
SwordBacon  [developer] Feb 4, 2016 @ 3:27pm 
Hey, thanks for the feedback zhaygo! Unfortunately the camera thing with ult is a global game variable, so I can't get it to only affect one player.

I will look into ways of changing Q and W to be more involved, with a few buffs here and there based on the results of the game night.
SwordBacon  [developer] Oct 30, 2016 @ 8:52pm 
Man, this is pretty old xD

Now that we have 20 hero concepts, I'd like to bring this thread to relevancy again.
Last edited by SwordBacon; Oct 30, 2016 @ 8:52pm
Pride Nov 22, 2016 @ 6:19pm 
Whilst I understand the reasons and can appreciate that I should be using this as the medium for voicing concerns or ideas I'd like to to state that typing out in depth information like this is something I find difficult, if you ever have the time and are available when we both have time I'd like to discuss the following via Discord as there's a great deal more to this I could address and enquire into.

As it stands the list beneath are initial impressions that I have since the limited nature of playing this game mode to its fullest.

Cherub

Misspelling on Synthesis, one of the words is missing an A so it reads "man".

* Spores
Giving them the ability to attack move into targets they find would be a big benefit. I get the theme's micro intensive but this aspect could probably be changed to make the hero stronger overall. If the Spores had a 0 damage 50 range attack it'd mean auto targeting when sent into fog, handy for farming so you can aim in in the direction that specifically position it every time.

* Defending with Flowers
Despite being able to summon at least two of each flower the aura don't stack, even if it would give diminishing returns with multiple sources it'd be an improvement. Having static summons means a very liner requirement from the hero, they have to be able to defend not only an area but all that occupies it.

The flowers aren't that defencive mechanically beyond stacking four healers, their range both for attacks and auras alike are pretty small, I think in a real game, even if strong at first the hero would inevitable become obsolete.

* Flowers' Self Destruct goes on cool down if it's attacked, even if by creeps, rather than being treated as Blink Dagger what if the ability was channelled instead so people could react and prevent giving free money? You can hardly expect something to watch all areas at all times. I'm assuming that the self deny is prevented since it gives a decent reward to enemies.

* It'd be helpful if flowers could be summoned to automatically attack without first needing to attack targets in range

* I'm uncertain if this is the right change so take this as you will, but in theory the damage to wake units from Sleep Cloud should scale in some way? This is due to the duration on this spell being pretty insane, enemies saving their team easier at earlier levels would force Cherub players to make more decisions about their build, if they want to be more of a support or so on by maxing the disable.

Hylonome

Battle Rhythm gains charges off denying, which can make her laning stronger since she can always maintain maximum stacks, however the mechanic of switching targets as often as it currently needs makes her later game weaker for it when she's clearly some kind of attack carry with no purges or resistance to stuns. My suggestion is to remove stacking off allies and instead make the duration pause whilst auto attacking, it would complement her trying to pick-off targets and also give her some semblance of hope for being effective despite crowd control. A minimum length BKB on someone who doesn't deal massive innate burst is harsh, I think this should accompany some other changes but at this time I'm uncertain what would be an appropriate fit.

Onimusha

I have some mild concerns about his Guard, at first I thought it was a passive, which it very well could be if it was nerf slightly, however that'd probably be a change you don't want to make, I prefer it be an active too but 'different'.

In its current form it'd fulfil a very niche function in a average team fight or even against two/three opponents since there are multiple and unpredictable stuns to interrupt the channel or just render you dead since you stood there trying to make use of the spell.

Side note, if the channel works differently to my understanding and in fact can work around stuns I apologise, I'm just making use of the information I'm able to observe.

I think it should be re-evaluated in some way, I'll leave at that.
SwordBacon  [developer] Nov 23, 2016 @ 9:24am 
Hey @Pride, I appreciate that you focus on improving the weaker mechanics of some heroes. I'll agree to most of your points.

____

First of all, I fixed the typo in Synthesis for next update. ;)

Cherub's Explosive Spore unit could definitely have an acquisition range that allows it to follow enemies on attack moves. I agree it's silly when it floats past targets and explodes in a bad spot.

The flowers from Flower Garden are actually missing an ability: a channeled teleport called "Transplant" that allows them to move to a new location within 1500 units. This should address the issues you have with flower's limited potential and inability to escape when taking damage. In another gamemode, these flowers are much stronger and are coded to be able to turn and attack automatically.

Sleep Cloud used to scale the damage to wake, but I felt the scaling was too much. People think the skill is OP simply by having a huge duration. I could re-introduce some minor scaling, like 100/120/140/160 would be fair.

____

Hylonome's Battle Rhythm is a fairly simple mechanic meant to be very strong in the mid-game and laning phase. There is a "rhythm" to using it. I thought it would be too strong if each attack refreshed the duration, though your suggestion to "pause" the duration would be nice, but difficult to implement.

____

Onimusha's Guard may be outshined by his other abilities, but it's really good! It allows 50% or more incoming attacks to be deflected, and it's really quick: 0.75 seconds at full channel. If we're talking about a situation where you're fighting multiple enemies, then your reflexes can be put to the test: if you see a stun incoming, Dash away!

I think the issue is Dash will almost always better at avoiding/dealing damage than Guard, plus it offers mobility rather than stopping it.

____

I'd be happy to discuss more heroes through Discord if that's easier for people to do.
Pride Nov 29, 2016 @ 4:30am 
Cool, in that case I'll leave a message on Discord when I have time, hopefully you'll be free too and can go through a little more thorough discussion. I'm not exactly sure when but maybe some time over the next week.
< >
Showing 1-6 of 6 comments
Per page: 1530 50