Mount & Blade: Warband

Mount & Blade: Warband

The Last Days of the Third Age
Kham  [developer] Aug 18, 2015 @ 7:47pm
Frequently Asked Questions
These were taken from the manual[synnaskole.sweb.cz] and from a player made FAQ[mbx.streetofeyes.com]

Why is the text all messed up or I can't hit enemies?
Are you playing on a Mac? If YES, that is why.
See the Mac Install guide: here

Your intro is annoying! Can I disable it?
Why yes. In the main Mount&Blade folder there is a file called “binkplay.exe”. Rename it to something like “binkplay_disabled.exe” or delete it, the videos won’t play anymore. If you ever change your mind, rename it back to its original filename.

My Orc army is constantly starving! Where can I get more food?
Enemies are a walking pantry for the savvy orc commander. Review your troops and slaughter some prisoners, you’ll have plenty of manflesh to feed your lads.

Why can't I see shops/vendors from the menu?
You have to have met these vendors first in order for the menu to be enabled. This is so that people can take the time and enjoy the beautiful recreation of Middle Earth by the talented artists of the team!

But I want to see the shops/vendors from the menu NOW!
You can enable this through TLD options, within the Camp menu.

What can I craft?
Crafting is an incomplete feature. Do not spend any points on it.

Lords aren’t sieging the enemy settlements? What can I do?
Weaken the enemy further, as their faction strength goes down, they become more vulnerable and requirements for sieges will go down. You can also set these requirements in the TLD options.

Why aren’t we ever sieging Isengard?
Isengard and the tower of Orthanc are special, you have to grind the enemyforce down so that they spawn a last defence party. When you defeat that party, Isengard falls as the Ents join the fight and crumble its walls.

How can I get rid of the Oathbreaker trait
You need to successfully complete another oath. Kill lots of smaller parties, don't get help from allies (that doesn't count). Always kill the precise faction who'd slain the hero!

My uruk can’t ride anything? That blows!
There are huge Wargs you can get as rewards from faction leaders, Uruks can ride those.

What’s the deal with Moria? What can I do with the item I found there?
Nothing, at the moment. It’s planned to be expanded into a quest item. (no, you can’t mine Mithril)

Looking for easter eggs is hard. Is there a (SUPER SPOILER) thread with
all of them?
Yes, there is here[mbx.streetofeyes.com]
(you lazybutt)

I can’t find the mountain trolls for Saruman, where the hell are they?!
Let’s see, trolls live in the Misty Mountains. They live in caves. Now, where could they be hanging around?

Why can't I capture enemy commanders?
You can only capture them if you have the quest "capture enemy commander" active. As far as I know, if you have the quest active, your chances of capture are high, and dependent on your prisoner management skill. IF you attack an enemy commander on your own, you will usually capture him, but if you join in, this may not happen. AFAIK, this is due to M&B native mechanics.

Why can't I capture orcs/elves?
Only humans can be captured (true to lore) if you a good faction. If you’re evil, everyone is game for capture. Elves can never be captured if you are an evil side.

How do I gain rank and influence?
Rank is similar to the "renown" in M&B vanilla. You gain it by doing quests, fighting battles.
Rank points lets you gain rank in a particular faction. Influence is gained at about 1/6 of rank. So if you fight a battle and gain 6 rank, you gain 1 influence. There are other ways of gaining influence as well.

I can only seem to get maximum of 13 rank in any battle?
This is coded. At most you can get 13 rank and 2 influence although if you assist others, you sometimes get two checks at rank, ie you can get 13+2 and then 13+2. This also encourages people to do quests.

Is there a list of items you can get for each faction and the influence cost?
Yes, here[mbx.streetofeyes.com]

Is there a list of companions?
Yes, here[mbx.streetofeyes.com]

What is the point in the "gift to another faction" quest?
Transfer resource points from one to the other.

Animal ambushes are annoying! How can I get rid of them?
Animals are afraid of large groups of soldiers. If your party’s small, avoid Mirkwood and the mountains.

How do I finish the Golden Spears quest?
That is an incomplete quest. Do not spend too much time in it as it currently can't be completed.

How do I increase the number of troops I can hire?
Increasing charisma and leadership; increase your rank level in a faction

I cant seem to recruit X companion
There are 3 things you need to meet.
1. The appropriate rank for a particular faction, for example, for Galmyne, you need to be a "close friend of Rohan"
2. You need a certain amount of influence
3. The city still needs to be around (esp Ulfas who is in West Emnet which used to get razed quite early)

There doesn't seem to be much action at the beginning of the game. Isn't there a war on?
The war doesn't start until you are level 8. Use this time to get a few quests under your belt, get some companions, money and explore.

Why isn't Elrond coming to Gondor to help out?
The northern factions had their own hands full with a war too. If you help clear their enemies, Elrond might be inclined to help though... the same goes for Gondor armies

Where is the gold?
Resources replace gold. You have a bank account with each faction. Be careful if you are for example Rohan and you hire lots of elves - you may not have enough elf cash to sustain them.

How do I make resources?
1. Have a rank in a particular faction. Each higher rank, for example, be a Friend of Rohan, Close Friend of Rohan etc allows you a daily income for that faction.
2. Quests
3. Looting enemies. Either you get scrap metal or enemy weapons etc

What is faction strength? How do I increase allies/decrease enemies?
Its a complicated algorithm.
All factions regenerate strength over time.
Winning big battles gains strength, losing these decreases.
I believe that if you lose a lot of battles in a short period of time, you lose more, and vice versa.
Last edited by Kham; Aug 12, 2019 @ 3:03pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 471 comments
Purple Knight Aug 19, 2015 @ 12:00pm 
Does the scrap do anything in particular or is it just something to sell?
Kham  [developer] Aug 19, 2015 @ 12:03pm 
Something to sell. There is also some quests where they ask you to collect X amount of a certain type of Scrap. But mostly it is to sell.
TheraptorGod64 Aug 19, 2015 @ 2:01pm 
are you gonna add more version like 3.4
a little help but i cant find any one to sell food from gondor is there a person that sells food
Iced Lenin Aug 20, 2015 @ 6:38pm 
Is there a way to mine anything yet?
Kham  [developer] Aug 20, 2015 @ 6:44pm 
Nope
Kengzilla Aug 20, 2015 @ 8:17pm 
what about the cheat codes? Do they still work under this mod?
COMRADG Aug 21, 2015 @ 12:14am 
how in the world do i get loot!?!?!??! i have made about 12 diff games so far all diff races an all with high an low looting points an i have never once gotin any loot or have ever had the opion of the loot menu after a battle... its i fight win the battle then back to the main map, no loot no nothing:/
Kham  [developer] Aug 21, 2015 @ 5:26am 
The only loot you can get, from my experience, are scrap.
Enderil Aug 21, 2015 @ 11:43am 
Where can i find some armor for my uruk hai?
Kham  [developer] Aug 21, 2015 @ 11:47am 
You can most likely get it from Isengard, the camps around Isengard, and some places near Mordor (Minas Morgul, Morannon, East Osgiliath etc). Basically, in places where you can hire Uruks :)
Iced Lenin Aug 21, 2015 @ 2:04pm 
Originally posted by kenghang:
what about the cheat codes? Do they still work under this mod?
There are cheat codes in the action menu
BOYCOTT S-T-E-A-M! Aug 21, 2015 @ 11:11pm 
Quick question...

Where in-game can you see your current rank points total at and is there a way to see how many rank points you need for the next rank?

I've checked all the places I'd expect such information to be (character screen, character statistics, reports, party menu, etc.) , but haven't noticed it yet.
Kham  [developer] Aug 22, 2015 @ 7:03am 
Currently, you can only see what your rank is, not how much points you have and the points required to get to the next level.

The way I find out is I look for a potential companion and speak with him/her. They'll say that you need to be a certain rank to recruit them and tell you how much more points you need to get to that rank. Roundabout, I know, but good enough for me :)
BOYCOTT S-T-E-A-M! Aug 22, 2015 @ 12:02pm 
Originally posted by Kham:
Currently, you can only see what your rank is, not how much points you have and the points required to get to the next level.

The way I find out is I look for a potential companion and speak with him/her. They'll say that you need to be a certain rank to recruit them and tell you how much more points you need to get to that rank. Roundabout, I know, but good enough for me :)

Much appreciated. Thank you.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 471 comments
Per page: 1530 50