Half-Life: Alyx

Half-Life: Alyx

Half-Life: Incursion
FireKeep Jul 28, 2022 @ 7:34pm
"Lite" Version to improve performance?
First off, congrats on getting this mod out! This was a huge effort and and you should be proud of yourselves.

Secondly, the level of detail on this map is incredible - by far the best map on the workshop so far in this regards.

BUT...

This detail unfortunately impacts performance too great to the point it's noticeable in game - for me and one other at least. Admittedly my rig is basically the bare minimum for VR (RX 480, intel i5, you get the picture). I'm sure this is probably the case for a decent amount of players.

What I'm wondering is if you guys could go through the trouble of creating a "lite" version of the map, one where the amount of detail has been turned down so that those with weaker PCs/performance issues can still enjoy the mod? I've been having a lot of fun with it and I'd love to be able to play it the way it should be played, even if it sacrifices some of the incredible art that's been done here.

Thanks!

Edit: I should clarify that this would be a separate map that could be selected from the map select menu.
Last edited by FireKeep; Jul 28, 2022 @ 7:36pm
< >
Showing 1-5 of 5 comments
cazanu Jul 28, 2022 @ 10:04pm 
no offense time for an upgrade bro
Polygrove  [developer] Jul 28, 2022 @ 10:27pm 
Originally posted by FireKeep:
What I'm wondering is if you guys could go through the trouble of creating a "lite" version of the map, one where the amount of detail has been turned down so that those with weaker PCs/performance issues can still enjoy the mod?

We knew performance was going to be an issue with lower end systems. Worth consideration for sure. I will do some tests to see if there is a lightweight solution to reducing draw calls for a 'lite' map. My first go to would removing the grass and debris scattered throughout the level, and less physics props. I can't be certain when that update would be available, but I will try to keep folks updated.
FireKeep Jul 28, 2022 @ 11:52pm 
Originally posted by Polygrove:
We knew performance was going to be an issue with lower end systems. Worth consideration for sure. I will do some tests to see if there is a lightweight solution to reducing draw calls for a 'lite' map. My first go to would removing the grass and debris scattered throughout the level, and less physics props. I can't be certain when that update would be available, but I will try to keep folks updated.

Thanks for considering it! I'm sure there's plenty of people in the HL:A scene that would be willing to help if you decide to go through with it.
PlanicZV Aug 1, 2022 @ 8:16am 
why it is stuttering on rtx3070? is it normal ??
Its unplaylable for me now...
Last edited by PlanicZV; Aug 1, 2022 @ 8:17am
melc Jan 31, 2023 @ 6:41am 
Originally posted by PlanicZV:
why it is stuttering on rtx3070? is it normal ??
Its unplaylable for me now...

I think that this map is mostly putting strain on the CPU because there's a lot of stuff happening in a small map. have a AMD Ryzen 7 4800H and RTX 2060 ( laptop version + quest 2) and the performance drops in the middle area.
< >
Showing 1-5 of 5 comments
Per page: 1530 50