Space Engineers

Space Engineers

AiEnabled v1.8
 This topic has been pinned, so it's probably important
jTurp  [developer] Sep 8, 2021 @ 5:56pm
Pathfinding explained
Hello, here you'll find a breakdown of how the pathfinding works (or doesn't) for bots.

• The mod makes use of the A* pathfinding algorithm with extremely custom logic written by hand for many things.

• Voxel areas are split into an area about 125m x 125m which is broken up into grid squares

• Grid areas (large grid only) are however big the grid is and use the grid's own position system. Bots WILL NOT pathfind on small grid blocks - this would require a completely new set logic set for them and I don't have time for that right now

• Whether or not a bot can pass over a given block is based on those very custom rules I mentioned above. If you find a block that you think the bot *should* be able to pass over but it won't, there is a channel for pathfinding issues on the AiEnabled Server

• I have NOT added any mod block support yet, so there is no guarantee that mod blocks will work with pathfinding. There is also a mod support channel you can drop a note in
< >
Showing 1-15 of 24 comments
Starfall Sep 9, 2021 @ 8:16am 
i had a bug where after i had 2 combat bots for over a hour it said that the robots were lost and crashed my game (twice)
jTurp  [developer] Sep 9, 2021 @ 11:26am 
Originally posted by thealemans:
i had a bug where after i had 2 combat bots for over a hour it said that the robots were lost and crashed my game (twice)

What do you mean by "said that the robots were lost"? I'll need the crash logs in order to debug properly

If you can join the discord server, that's the best place to put your crash info / logs / details. Thank you :)
Konather Sep 9, 2021 @ 7:22pm 
i know it says that they do not pathfind with small blocks, but do they at least know to go around say a docked/landed ship?
jTurp  [developer] Sep 10, 2021 @ 2:34pm 
Originally posted by Konather:
i know it says that they do not pathfind with small blocks, but do they at least know to go around say a docked/landed ship?

Yes, they do plot obstacles and attempt to avoid them
TidBuryFukles Sep 21, 2021 @ 6:00pm 
Bots do not open doors currently. Do you think that maybe possible in the future?
jTurp  [developer] Sep 22, 2021 @ 1:04pm 
@DeepSIXXED

Bots do open doors, but they require proper access now (changed in the last update). As long as the door is enabled, functional, and not in an enemy faction, they should open it
lechkingofdead Sep 22, 2021 @ 3:52pm 
i noticed you put a repair bot into the small ship seat, how would you go about doing it, as i know how to large grid.
TidBuryFukles Sep 22, 2021 @ 6:01pm 
Cool, they do open doors if you own them.

Still amazed you guys took on a mod like this. I have wanted to do something like this with SE myself but never would have had the time. Its a great effort.

I know its beta still. I do see path finding issues from time to time. The worst of which is the repair bot and moving up and down ramps. You can see this behavior easily using the vanilla "Red Ship" grid that comes with the game. There are times it wants to move down a descending ramp and he doesn't move down enough so it sits there hitting the block at the top of it.

Do you guys need or want save games or something to help debug stuff like this? Anything I can do to help. I am an SE modder too but I haven't published anything yet.
jTurp  [developer] Sep 22, 2021 @ 11:00pm 
@DeepSIXXED

Blueprints are always helpful so I don’t have to try and recreate the setup, ty

@lechkingofdead

There is no difference between putting them in large vs small grid seat. If you’re talking about ordering them into a small seat, you can’t bc they don’t pathfind on small grids. They will just enter a seat on that grid when you do, assuming they have access
Last edited by jTurp; Sep 22, 2021 @ 11:01pm
Imperator Oct 9, 2021 @ 8:50am 
Can I please log that Pathfinding still seems to be broken over large distances from galactic center. My planet is about 150,000km out and all the bots do is stand there with a question mark above their heads. Works find on planets spawned next to galactic center.
jTurp  [developer] Oct 9, 2021 @ 10:36pm 
Originally posted by Imperator:
Can I please log that Pathfinding still seems to be broken over large distances from galactic center. My planet is about 150,000km out and all the bots do is stand there with a question mark above their heads. Works find on planets spawned next to galactic center.

Best bet would be to send me the world and have a spawn point named on the planet in question. Sounds like this is likely an SE World Gen issue - are you using that to spawn the planet?
Imperator Oct 10, 2021 @ 9:08am 
Hey Yeah I am using SEWorldGen, but the planet works fine using SEWorldGen at closer distances. I tried it both by spawning at the center and where i normally spawn it and it seemed fine closer, so I´m not sure if its specifically SEWorldGen, or just the distance from the galactic core.
jTurp  [developer] Oct 10, 2021 @ 2:44pm 
@Imperator

Can you send me the world? I’ll have to see what the debug says
Imperator Oct 10, 2021 @ 11:04pm 
@jTurp, I´m going to setup a test world to show it. I´ll get it over to you ASAP
Last edited by Imperator; Oct 10, 2021 @ 11:05pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 24 comments
Per page: 1530 50