ARK: Survival Evolved

ARK: Survival Evolved

Dino Patrol
 This topic has been pinned, so it's probably important
Grebog  [developer] Oct 30, 2017 @ 1:48am
QUESTIONS and ANSWERS
Q. Will this work with other dino mods
A. Yes, but you need to test it by yourself. There are hundrets of dino mods out there.

Q. Why does the dino pause while reaching a waypoint?
A. This pause from 0 to 5 seconds is part of the dino AI system.
In V1.2 you can set additional pause times up to 5 minutes for each waypoint.

Q. Why does the dino stop its patrolling, if there is no player in range?
A. All non player parts in ARK use the so called stasis sytem. The go into sleep, if no player is in range.

Q. Will the dino attack enemies while patrolling?
A. Yes, if it is set to neutral/aggressive. The dino uses the same behaviour as following a player.

Last edited by Grebog; Nov 5, 2017 @ 1:25pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 42 comments
🦊 Hermit Oct 30, 2017 @ 7:30pm 
May I ask a question? On reloading from stasis (for example when a player returns to their base), will the patrolling dinos pick up again where they stopped before, or will they have to be set to patrol again by the player?
Grebog  [developer] Oct 30, 2017 @ 7:33pm 
After coming from stasis or from loading a saved game the dino will go on following there route automatically.
🦊 Hermit Oct 30, 2017 @ 10:32pm 
Nice, and thanks for the quick response^^
Majew Nov 1, 2017 @ 9:43am 
can other players see and or destory the way points?
Grebog  [developer] Nov 1, 2017 @ 12:42pm 
@123 the restrictions are the same as for other structures. only tribe members are able to destroy them. the structures are seen by everyone, but you can change the visiual from flag to stone to flower to mushroom
Grebog  [developer] Nov 2, 2017 @ 1:16pm 
@WhoCares

1. You place a start waypoint and from this you add additional waypoints in the world.These waypoints are linked to the start waypoint.

2. if you start the patrol for a dino, the dino is linked to the closest start waypoint. This dino follows the waypoints linked to the start waypoint.

Grebog  [developer] Nov 2, 2017 @ 6:32pm 
each route has its own internal id. if you add a waypoint to a route, the waypoint knows to which route it belongs. you do not need to delete all waypoints. please try it yourself. you can add new waypoints, the newest added waypoint is always the last. you can delete any waypoint and the route connects the previous with the next waypoint (thanks to a doubled linked list).
But i will work on an better way to see to which route a dino belongs.
WarChicken Nov 4, 2017 @ 11:17am 
If the Dino comes across a feeding trough on its patrol duty, will it eat, or will I have to give each partolling Dino rations into its inventory?
Grebog  [developer] Nov 4, 2017 @ 11:49am 
@WarChicken this question we just discussed at lunch. I think we need to try. But i think, if the dinos eat while following you, they will do while on their patrol.
Grebog  [developer] Nov 4, 2017 @ 12:31pm 
So you need only one feeding trough, with my mod you let your dinos go to lunch by themself
eagle_1980 Nov 4, 2017 @ 2:00pm 
Was looking through the details and here, but didn't really see anything that would answer my question. Noticing that the waypoints system revolves around the Start flag, so my question is, will a patrol path be able to be set in a loop, so, you have a circle path from Start going around through several waypoints and back to Start and contining the same path on a loop?
Grebog  [developer] Nov 4, 2017 @ 2:17pm 
@eagle_1980 the route is always a loop, but with the newest update you can set a stop point.
eagle_1980 Nov 4, 2017 @ 2:18pm 
Originally posted by Grebog:
@eagle_1980 the route is always a loop, but with the newest update you can set a stop point.

Ah, ok, Thanks for the quick answer.
eagle_1980 Nov 4, 2017 @ 4:03pm 
I just had an idea with regarding to your mod. I've been building public taxi stations throughout the map for Diplos, Paracers, Brontos, Titans with their special saddles. So, I have 2 questions. Is there a limit to how many waypoints in 1 travel path or max distance total? Would it be possible to set up a network of destination waypoints? For example, a station happens to be at a junction point that goes in 3 different routes where if you were to be coming from a different station to which you could select say, desert as the destination out of 3 possible destination from the next station it travels through? Just seeing if it's possible to set up an automous taxi system.

Just thought of another question, regarding to the stress test of the server. If say 50 people had all set up their own waypoints patrols system, won't that cause more workload for the server to handle all that additional calculations and such? The reason why I'm asking this is because I've noticed with the auto on/off lights system, that the lights dont turn on all at the same time right at the dot, as a few will come on, then a few seconds the next few, then the next till all are on, so I'm under the impression that it's the server trying to do all that command at once. And we all know that the more active the server is with more players online, the more stress on the server trying to cope with the workload of all the calculations/processes.
Grebog  [developer] Nov 4, 2017 @ 4:16pm 
@eagle_1980
for your first idea: because of the stasis system such taxi systems will not work around the map. please google for ark and stasis...

each mod, some more, some less, are stressing the server. because i do not have a server with 50 people playing, i cannot test this. it would be nice, if you or other players would test my mod on such a server.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 42 comments
Per page: 1530 50