RimWorld

RimWorld

A RimWorld of Magic
 This topic has been pinned, so it's probably important
Torann  [developer] Dec 10, 2017 @ 3:27pm
What Class Next!? Cast your vote!
Proposed classes:

*Paradox Mage (magic) - weak skills (undefined) that build a paradox level, as this level increases, it increases the chance for a random, powerful ability to trigger. See suggestion by Rincewind.

*Archon (magic) - conversion class for priest or paladin that transforms them into a holy warrior bent on destroying anything related to dark magic. Would receive several new skills and have bonuses vs undead/dark beings. See description by Tonatiuh-Cehualli.

*Shaman (magic) - uses totems to direct various powers that include healing, combat boosts (bloodlust), damage (chain lightning); may also be able to summon spirits or use the spirit realm as a source of unique abilities. See description by The Chicken King.

*The Cursed (stamina) - curses everything they touch, however, by performing various actions, each curse may have less of a penalty until it becomes a bonus or provides a unique benefit or action. This curse may also affect nearby pawns, for better or worse. 'Curse' power would become a unique pool that builds with the cursed' suffering and could be utilized to project that power through several skills. See description by Rincewind.

*Bright Mage (mana) - using holy magic offensively, the bright mage would have access to spells that burn a target in an intense beam of light, illuminate the weaknesses of enemies, and stabilize life threatening wounds on the battlefield. See full description by CaptainPiker.

*Spell Breaker/Hex Hunter (stamina) - particularly effective against mages, the spell breaker would have a mix of combat oriented skills and skills to counter mages or spells. These skills could include glaive throw which launches a projectile that hits the target and bounces to nearby enemies before returning to the spell breaker, enemies hit would be stunned for a short period. Other skills include abilities to counter spells or manipulate the flow of mana. See full description by Antharann Fireblade

*Wind mage (magic) - elemental mage using arcane power to manipulate wind and air. See full description by TechFlame

-- If you have a particular class that you'd rather see, post a reply with the class. Tell everyone a bit about them - what is the role they fill? Also provide 4-5 different skills they could have available to them that fit their role --
Last edited by Torann; Dec 21, 2018 @ 10:06am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 896 comments
Baron OhShi Dec 15, 2017 @ 6:52am 
I would love to see the druid, I love utility mages and it sounds like they will have an interesting mix of spells!
Orthodir Dec 15, 2017 @ 10:12am 
I agree with the Baron. Druids are awesome.
Jijow Dec 15, 2017 @ 1:59pm 
Same for me . Druid looks awesome ;-)
BagelBalls Dec 15, 2017 @ 6:37pm 
I would say priest, necromancer or blade dancer. I like the idea of resurrection and death magic but being able to strike all enemies would be cool.
Ravnius Dec 16, 2017 @ 7:36am 
Necromancer. 100%.
Hypnoshadow Dec 16, 2017 @ 8:39am 
Necromancer
Levianox Dec 17, 2017 @ 9:23am 
Bard or Priest. If bard I'd have to say they'd have to have a helluva good social/trade boost. :-)
kidd2106 Dec 17, 2017 @ 9:27am 
There are already a lot of classes in the mod that have combat abilities. There are not a lot of support classes in the mod. I think having the bard or priest would be a good addition to add more support classes.
Enghiskhan Dec 19, 2017 @ 12:05am 
I'd love to play as a necromancer that sucks at doing anything other than researching and raising the dead. I'd take up residence in a cave and wait for some poor soul to wander by so I can use his corpse as free labor.
Last edited by Enghiskhan; Dec 19, 2017 @ 12:05am
...in the basement Dec 20, 2017 @ 11:04am 
I love beasts, so I think the ranger would be great!

Also, there's a lack of combat classes, so adding it would be nice
LordLockStep Dec 20, 2017 @ 1:33pm 
Bard has my vote; more support classes sounds nice.
Torann  [developer] Dec 20, 2017 @ 2:45pm 
I'm about to start work on the new class, so I'm tallying up the current votes. If the reply had multiple classes, then each class gets a portion of your vote.
Druid 3
Necro 3.33
Bard 2
Priest 1.33
Ranger 1
Blade Dancer 0.33

I agree that there's not enough support classes, so I'm casting my vote for druid, which brings it to 4 and will make it the next class I'll work on. Keep the votes coming, as soon as the druid is done I'll tally the votes up again for the class after the druid.

LordLockStep Dec 21, 2017 @ 6:27am 
The (relative) lack of support classes gave me an idea or two;

1) The Alchemist*; Toxins(Damage type that debuffs enemy pawns/or damages limbs), Revigorate(Boost needs of Colonists), Reinforce(Item/Object Repair), Transmute(Transform one raw resource into another)**. Giving a small boost to crafting the Alchemist has few direct combat oriented abilities in favor of being a utility focused support class that works in support of maintaining the colony.

*Whether it falls under Combat or Magic is up in the air as the stamina and mana meters could both logically fit the role of managing how the Alchemist does their work.
**Thier biggest aspect an example of this would be to transform one wood to one steel or one rice to one piece of corn/one type of meat to another. As for how this scales between the tiers of resources I'm not certain.

Thoughts on the idea as a whole?
Torann  [developer] Dec 21, 2017 @ 2:24pm 
The ability to transform one type of material into another is definitely something I've been looking at doing. This spell would take, for example, a pile of steel and transform a random amount into another material, eg plasteel.. or even randomize it between plasteel, silver, and gold depending on the dice roll.

The problem is that, after that ability, I'm not sure what, traditionally, an Alchemist would do. So I've been looking at making a stand-alone spell that does this. I'm also considering adding a class or two like this when I start implementing items (that give special traits, capacity boosts, can cast small spells ect) and then the alchemist becomes crucial to making these items, or making the best of these items.
BagelBalls Dec 21, 2017 @ 4:09pm 
Speaking about the Alchemist and magic items, that gave me an idea.

The Enchanter
- Combat buffs such as adding extra damage to weapons, feel less pain.
- Ability to enchant special items (possibly?) or just certain ones and make artifacts
- Possible passive auras to give different effects (Healing/Pain Relief, Work Speed, Enhancing stats like Movement, Manipulation, Hearing, things like that)

The Scholar
- Researching techniques to improve enchanting.
- Give boosts to research with presence.
- Could research to find artifacts in the wild, a quest trigger or something like that
- Could be a very useful support class, maybe they could have a passive buff that once studied could improve certain spells.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 896 comments
Per page: 1530 50