Company of Heroes 2

Company of Heroes 2

Co-op: Soviet: Blackout (BB - 3)
Opulent Omega  [developer] Mar 31, 2015 @ 4:35pm
Help for Blackout Co-op (Contribution Thread)
Hello!

This thread is made specifically for the purpose of helping players who may find Blackout somewhat difficult, or may simply be stuck. If you have successfully won in this map, please share your winning tactics as a reply here to help others who may be struggling.

As with all maps in the Blood Brothers series, I aim to provide a 'challenging but fair' gameplay experience. Since not everyone can be expected to be equally experienced at CoH2, this thread provides some helpful tips for those who may be struggling to complete this map.

In the interest of not ruining the gameplay, I will only provide beneficial tips to help improve your chances of success on this map, but these are tips, and as such will not carry you all the way to victory... you will have to go the rest of the way by yourself (or with a co-op partner of course).

Spoilers may be included below, please DO NOT read on if you have not played the map. It is better to play it first then come here if you are stuck.

General Tips:
- The map is essentially split into two main areas: the dense parks and the open riverbank of the lower level and the semi-open areas of the upper levels. As such, unit choice needs to take this fact into consideration. Effective close-range units such as Shock Troops work extremely well in the parks while suppression weapons such as MGs perform better in the open areas.

- This map rewards perseverance, even at the face of defeat. Notice that the enemy Oberkommando needs to run almost the entire length of the map every time he retreats. Use this knowledge to estimate the potential threat of the enemy. Seemingly impossible comebacks are actually quite frequent in this map.

- Not all Soviet vehicles are blocked. Scout Cars, Halftracks and Katyushas can still be built from their respective buildings. Due to the very limited amount of fuel available to players, the choice between picking the ability to build Halftracks first or Katyushas first is a crucial one to make.

- The resource income rates has been modified so that all players receive extra manpower than normal as a starting resource. However, they also receive less fuel, both as a starting resource and also as income rate. Player 3 also receives more manpower and munitions income rate than Players 1 and 2.

- Each player is given a different extra ability. The ability will appear along with other abilities once the player chooses any commander from his/her roster. Note that Players 1 and 2 are not given enough starting fuel to construct tier 1 buildings at the very beginning of the game. However, Player 3's extra ability allows the player to call in an airdrop of 30 fuel. This fuel may be sent to Players 1 and 2 in order to construct tier 1 buildings to rush tier 1 units.

- Search the surrounding areas for abandoned German vehicles before the Germans get to them. If used correctly they can provide an extra edge in the game.

- The dark atmosphere and environment is an integral part of this map. It impedes players' ability to make tactical decisions simply because they are unable to see the map, especially in the parks. This is an intended map design element.

Tips for Player 1:
- You are given extra Shock Troops as starting units at the beginning of the game. However, no Penal Squads or MGs are given to you as starting units. This starting setup provides enough close-range combat effectiveness to last a fairly long time into the game around the large parks if used correctly.

Tips for Player 2:
- You are given a combination of units including MGs and Penal Squads as starting units. This setup provides sufficient long-range or suppression effectiveness to last a fairly long time on the outer fringes beside the river if used correctly.

- Your extra ability costs 200 munitions to use but is excellent when faced with enemy threats to multiple territory points. Use of the ability can be devastating to the enemy if used at a good time, but its high munitions cost and relatively low cooldown means that it can drain your resources if used inefficiently.

Tips for Player 3:
- The difficulty of playing as Player 3 depends largely on the success of Players 1 and 2. If Players 1 and 2 are pushed back on their side, there is a possibility that the enemy from their side will invade the upper levels and flank your positions from the staircases in the center. The more enemy forces your allies can deal with, the less pressure those enemies will put on you.

- Using your extra ability can allow you or your allies to rush Halftracks or Katyushas.

- Holding the VP closest to you is no easy feat, especially considering it is right in front of the enemy base. Do not risk your entire fighting force gambling on a successful capture that may not last a long time.
Last edited by Opulent Omega; Apr 4, 2015 @ 10:03am
< >
Showing 1-2 of 2 comments
Kbal Apr 1, 2015 @ 8:03am 
I played this map as 3rd and 2nd position.

For 3rd
If your allies will not be able to push the line further then you have then you get beat up by all 3 comps at the same time. Since AXIS cant build mortars you can expect all other kind of inf.
Very important is to destroy arty situated in the center of the map near ammo point. I sugest to block other ways by barbed wire and force them to move where you want.
You can win even if your teammates are incompetent noobs. In game what I played I killed 1700-1800 and lost like 300 units and game length was around one hour.

For 2nd
Keep your half track alive because its a long way to nearest VP. Also very important is to be efficient and dont loose units for nothing. Regrouping all 4 shock squads will costs you a lot so guards, MGs, mortars are good option for holding point and shocks should go only for easy pray.
and same problem is here as like for 3rd if your frontline is far then expect attacks from all 3 players.
Last edited by Kbal; Apr 1, 2015 @ 8:08am
BeatrixDJ Apr 2, 2015 @ 2:02am 
1 needs to get in really close to do the most good. 1 starts with shocks so should stick with getting nice and close to the Germans. Should also stay in the parks to hide themselves from German grenadiers and obers in long range fights. 1 should only come out of park for 3 if 3 is in trouble.

2 should stay to the open side beside park, where the houses sink into water. Get plenty of MG and camp that spot until situation is under control. 2 should keep halftrack alive.

3 is so hard to play because it is so difficult. As the other guys said if 1 and 2 do not perform well then all the enemies spill onto 3. A solution to this problem can be to barb wire the right flank and use staircase only. At most the enemy will push you to staircase and you can use it as a MG shooting gallery. I won playing as 3 once with good allies and the second time by myself by using lots of MGs and Guards Rifles.

This map is easy or hard depending on your allies. If your allies are good and can hold the park at least, then the map is not too difficult. If you allies suck you will have a rainy walk in the park (see what I did there? :-D)!

- The dark atmosphere and environment is an integral part of this map. It impedes players' ability to make tactical decisions simply because they are unable to see the map, especially in the parks. This is an intended map design element.
It is a good map with night setting! I had exactly the problem you wanted! We need more of these!
Last edited by BeatrixDJ; Apr 2, 2015 @ 2:10am
< >
Showing 1-2 of 2 comments
Per page: 1530 50