Stellaris

Stellaris

Ships reworked
Yandersen  [developer] May 11, 2017 @ 7:44am
Feedback needed
Hi everyone and thank you for trying out my first mod "Ships reworked"!

First, I want to thank CaptainX3 and his New Ship Classes & More mod for a 4-section frame I used for Battlestar. I also want to admit I used some of the graphics from Novio Magnum mod by ScepraX, great thanks go there as well.

The reason I gone making my own mod instead of just using famous NSC and NM is that I have a different vision of how new ship classes should be implemented and what they should add to the game. I came up with completely different approach from what you could have experienced before. I believe my solution is more practical, user friendly, generally light and elegant.

Please let me know what you think, any feedback is highly appreciated! :)
Last edited by Yandersen; May 11, 2017 @ 7:46am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 25 comments
Yandersen  [developer] May 13, 2017 @ 4:10pm 
There is a thing I need ur opinion about, guys, - armor. Currently it is a regular utility slot item type, like in vanilla. I am thinking about moving it into aux type. The reason is that on small ships one may fill all possible slots with armor and it will not make any difference anyway. But on capital ships even a single L slot gives overlimited protection right away. IMO, making armor an aux type should make the way it works more logical. However, in this case the aux armor shall also be stripped of HP bonus. In result, the utility slots will be left for reactors and shields only, which is kinda plain, maybe. And aux slots will be a places the trade of balance will take place: either one pushes for armor, shield regeneration, shield HP, hull regeneration or hull HP.

This is a questionable change and I need ur opinion on, guys. Please let me know what u think about it.
Last edited by Yandersen; May 13, 2017 @ 4:12pm
Han Solo May 14, 2017 @ 1:02am 
This mod along with Novus Orbis is adding a series of namelist entries called "name_list_ART2.ship_nam" or "name_list_cybrxkhan_fant". Any insights on solutions?

I do use a lot of life improvement mods, so, not sure how to proceed, but by disabling the aforementioned mods the problem seemed to go away. Would love to use these mods with my other ones.
Yandersen  [developer] May 14, 2017 @ 7:35am 
Han Solo, those seem to come from some other mod. Have to repeat myself again: SR is not compatible with ANY other mods adding new ship classes. Any mods that do so could be compatible ONLY in case they were developed with a specific goal to be combined, mine is stand-alone in ship-addition.

BTW, might be helpful if u list the mods u want to use SR with, so I can check their compatibility for u. If u wish to do so, please list them in that specific topic here.
Last edited by Yandersen; May 14, 2017 @ 7:39am
Yandersen  [developer] May 17, 2017 @ 3:57am 
"Do the D/T/F weapons have bigger projectiles (I mean graphically)?"

Projectiles - no, reused the Large model. But this did not manage to draw my attention. The actual turrets do scale though - D=1.5*L, T=2.25*L, F=3.375*L. For most races it looks fine, only the reptilian models look not so good if u pay attention to smallest turrets on Dreadnought, Titan, Flagship and Battlestar. There r many bugs even in vanilla models anyway, but noone reported that yet, meaning noone really looks there. ;)

"How do these larger weapons choose targets? For example, will the super F slot weapon target tiny corvettes?"

The vanilla X and T slots had special targeting. I removed that. I made it work the same way as regular weapons. There r no more weapons with special targeting in SR except for Titan Laser I did not touched. As for F sizes, even there some weapons have 100% tracking, so don't worry, there is always something to squeeze corvette bugs with. :)

"Do I need to use "automated ship behavior" mod with your mod?"

Nope, I overwrote ship behaviors completely, hardly any mod will be compatible. Try my way, who knows - maybe u will find it better than anything else? :)

"I saw the missile HP did not follow the S:M:L = 1:2:4 rule, indicating even the smallest flak battery can one-shot kill the largest slot (F) T5 missile."

Indeed, having 6 tiers for missiles makes HP look ridiculously high for F if u try to double HP. Yes, it does strike the surviveability of larger missiles in a bad way. But their damage doubles as well. In result, a single missile turns into a doomsday machine if reaches it's target. Let this along with high range and speed of small missiles humbly suggest using them on corvettes.

"I think this will cause severe balance issues.
My suggestion: Add high evasion to missiles and high tracking to PD weapons, so that missile can evade all flaks and can only be shot down by PDs."

Regular PD is limited to S slot, while Flaks go all the way up in sizes in SR. I didn't wanted to make this differentiation to make larger ships more vulnerable to missiles - they are suppose to go in front of formation, therefore require to have some protection against all types of attack. As for evasion, it is a measure of unpredictability of target trajectory times maneuverability. This can only be achieved by some sort of AI onboard so should not be applied to the guided missiles. As for tracking, it is 100% for both Flaks and PD. But I buffed strike craft over 100% evasion to make PDs inefficient against it unlike the Fighters having over 100% tracking. I agree, further testing and balance tuning required, I am open for suggestions, but I am not sure if 1 or 2 people can ultimately dictate how it should work in their opinion. That is why I opened this topic so that everyone can give their feedback about the new balance. Tweaking numbers is not a big deal, I can update it any time, no new game will be required. I just want to be assured it will be a step in a right direction, that is why more opinions will be nice to hear first.

"However, you may need to modify the flak so that it will not target missiles anymore. According to my modding experience, I don't know if this is doable or not."

I don't think it is. Maybe through adding a special targeting to PD and Flaks, hmmm, but I haven't seen any examples of missiles and SC being a prescripted targets like in vanilla X or T weapons, so I highly doubt it may work. I think such targets are set by weapon type "point_defense" and this means both.

"All ships have a combat speed at 3.0, is there a special reason for this?"

The idea of SR is to keep largest ships in front of formation. That is why the speed should not be lower for larger ships, otherwise they will engage last. For the sake of realism I changed the cost of thrusters to represent their size increase with the ship size. The 3 is a base speed. With Tier 4 engines it will be 6 (+100% bonus). Also, there is no more difference between combat and regular speed for the ships (except for a bonus the Afterburners provide) as I see no logical reason for the ship to slow down when entering the battle. Ready to hear arguments! :)

"All military stations do not have D/T/F slots, making them useless in mid/late game. Do you have a plan to modify them as well?"

Excellent point, I shall start working on this, thank u! I think 3 more tiers of Fortress-like structures shall do the trick, right? :)
TianTian May 17, 2017 @ 11:47am 
Thanks for the reply.

1. I'm kind of busy with real life at the moment. Actually I have three mods on steam that have not been updated to 1.6 yet. I will ask people to come to your mod in my previous combat overhaul mod (called "Science Matters"). For now ,I just want to enjoy the game a little bit at the moment. But I am glad to help to give ideas about your mod.

2. For the missiles, I am gonna buff the HP a little bit for my own game. So that the F missile will not be one-shot killed by one M slot flak battery.

3. I think additionally 3 tiers of military station that using D/T/F weapons should work well.

4. For the armor, in my previous mod, I have a easy fix for your situation.

Basics: http://www.stellariswiki.com/Ship_designer#Armor
There is an equation in the above wiki page.

4.1 There are several lines in the defines.txt file that determines the parameters in the equation and determines how efficient armors will be for bigger ships. I modded them into the following values:
DAMAGE_REDUCTION_MAX = 0.99
# can't have more damage reduction than this.
This is the damage reduction limit. I raised it to 99%.

SIZE_MULTIPLIER_DAMAGE_REDUCTION_EFFECT = 0.25
# how much does ship size reduce damage reduction from armor (higher number = more armor required for same DR on a larger ship)
This is the how much does the size of a ship affects armor. Vanilla value is 0.15.

DAMAGE_REDUCTION_MAX_SHIP_SIZE = 20
# ship sizes over this don't affect how much armor is needed
This is the higher limit that a ship's size will be used in damage reduction (DR), the vanilla value is 10, which means any ships with a size larger than 10 will use 10 in the DR calculation.
Please note that the ship size here is not the fleet size of a ship. It's a separate value that defined in 00_ship_size file.

DAMAGE_REDUCTION_HIGH = 0.50
# above this level of damage reduction require even more armor. Vanilla value = 0.75

DAMAGE_REDUCTION_HIGH_SCALING = 0.25

4.2 There may be a issue if you add a fixed HP to the armors: this added HP may be a very large value for small ships but can be negligible for large ships, especially in the Titan/Battlestar ships in your mod.
My previous solution is to add a percent of HP to the armors.
I used 0.25/0.5/1% for T1 S/M/L armor and 1.25%/2.5%/5% for T5 armors.
However, I don't know how balanced the fixed HPs are in your mod, if they are well balanced. There's no need to make a change.

Thanks~
TianTian May 17, 2017 @ 12:23pm 
Another suggestion regarding missiles:
The main issue with misisles is that they overkill. Once the target dies, all missile targeting it will dissappear. In my current game, I did the following the two things to alleviate this:
1. buff missile speed.
2. greatly decrease fire rate. The damage should be increased to keep DPS the same
In this way, there will be fewers missiles on the way, so the percentage of dissappearing missile will decrease.
Hope this helps.
Yandersen  [developer] May 17, 2017 @ 4:05pm 
Thanks, TianTian, very helpful info!
2) I will rework missiles.
3) 3 more military stations coming along with rework of the existing ones.
4) Nice u shared this with me - such info is hard to dig out. Will definitely change some defines.
4.2) As for armor HP I made it equal to half HP of the same size shield of equivalent tier.
Saboras May 24, 2017 @ 6:01pm 
Hi,
I've a problem where i cant research lvl 4 spaceports for some reasons. I also use auto auto-exploaration and plentiful traditions. Do you have any suggestions?
Yandersen  [developer] May 24, 2017 @ 10:46pm 
Yes, to have some patience. If u don't - dump an error log here and we will see what could be wrong. I just tested it myself: I modded the science labs producing 10000 resources so to have things researched "quick", then I went over the techs on high speed. The Battleships had a small bottleneck, but eventually appeared when some other researches went out of the way. I had it all the way to the Battlestars, no problem. Just keep researching, it did not mean to give all ship types in the very beginning, so give it a time.
Saboras May 25, 2017 @ 10:50am 
I do have patience.. actually alot of it. I'm 100 years in and already researched advanced techs like all tier 5 weapons and stuff(starting to get the repeatable things). I'll will do some more research but for now it looks like a bug at least to me :(
Anyways i didn't wanna be rude and i apologize if was it. This mod is great!
Last edited by Saboras; May 25, 2017 @ 11:05am
Saboras May 25, 2017 @ 6:03pm 
So i did some more research and what can i say? Still no Spaceport4. Maybe it's cuz i'm hive mind? Missing some other techs too... mega engineering for example

EDIT:
I found the failure. It is the Auto-Exploration Mod. Somehow this mod blocks the possibility to research some techs. I deactivated it and after a few "finish_research" i found the spaceport4. I've to apologize. It wasnt ur fault. But u should maybe take the auto auto-exploration out off the compatible mods till this bug is fixed.
Last edited by Saboras; May 25, 2017 @ 6:15pm
Yandersen  [developer] May 26, 2017 @ 2:17am 
Thank you a lot for the info! I will see what could be wrong. This is a second time I hear this reference, will check it out. No idea how it could be so, but, well...
Yandersen  [developer] May 26, 2017 @ 2:46am 
OK, I double-checked the Auto Auto-Explore mod, both code-wise and in-game with Ships Reworked using the finish_research console command to go all the way down to Battlestars. It worked just fine. Why did u decided that the issue was caused by Auto Auto-Explore? I looked at the code (again), and even there I see no any possibility for conflict. What made u think it was this one?

I added a warning msg in the mod list, but wish I had some proof, u know...
Last edited by Yandersen; May 26, 2017 @ 2:47am
Yandersen  [developer] May 26, 2017 @ 8:16am 
Just made an own version of auto-exploration mod. Mine does the same, but works differently (through technology overwrite/duplicate rather than event adding tech at start).
Saboras May 26, 2017 @ 11:10am 
It's pretty simple i just removed the auto-exploartion mod restarted the game and everything worked fine. I reinstalled it and couldn't research spaceport4. I dont know if it is the auto-exploration mod alone or if the bug only appears when u use it in combination with some other mods. Anyways here is my modlist(without graphical only mods) maybe there is a combination which causes the problem:

-Plentiful Traditions
-Starting Traditions
-Adjusted Tradition Tree Adaption Costs
-Ships reworked
-Auto Auto-Exploration

For now i'll test ur version of the exploration mod and hope everything will work out just fine :)
< >
Showing 1-15 of 25 comments
Per page: 1530 50