RimWorld

RimWorld

Star Wars - Fully Functional Lightsabers
Hades Jan 11, 2018 @ 6:20pm
Lightsaber crystal and damage
I shifted this conversation in the comments section... to a discussion.

So I dug into the XML (line 182+ of PJ_items.xml) and the slotted bonuses tags are referring to what might be the wrong variable (MeleeWeapon_DamageMultiplier).

e.g. "This synthesized crystal has been further enhanced, giving it a slightly more MeleeWeapon_DamageMultiplierful blade, and it's trademark red hue."

Maybe it needs a variable the inserts the word "power". I'll keep looking around.

The lightsabers themselves range from no damage multipliers (green, blue, purple etc), through to 28 for the infused red one, to 30-40 for the rare crystals up to 100 for the legendary ones.

It seems to me that these values should be divided by 10 (2.8x, 3x, 10x etc.)... maybe the developer changed some base variable that Jecrell was multiplying against. If you divided by 10, the infused red crystal lightsaber would do around 24 DPS to 160 (based off a basic blue crystal lightsaber doing around 8.5 DPS (poor steel) to 16 DPS (good plasteel).

It would also be good to make the purple crystal into a rare given that Mace Windu wouldn't be using a low quality basic crystal given his reputation.

Just thinking out loud (and not knowing Jecrell's thought process on the damages) maybe these changes are needed:

1. In descriptions, replace "MeleeWeapon_DamageMultiplier" with the word "power".
2. Give all basic color crystals a x2 multipler (so they do around 16 DPS to 32 DPS).
3. Make the purple color crystal an infused version as the Jedi's "version" of the Sith red infused crystal... and give both purple and red color crystals a 3x multiplier.
4. Divide all rare crystal damage multipliers by 10 (e.g. 3.2x, 4x)
5. Divide all legendary crystal damage multiplers by 10 (e.g. 10x)

Thoughts?
Last edited by Hades; Jan 14, 2018 @ 12:45am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 15 comments
I got my ♥♥♥♥ stuck in the ceiling fan, the instructions were unclear.
Last edited by Betty The Great Magician; Jan 13, 2018 @ 6:08pm
Celestite Feb 13, 2018 @ 6:30pm 
just a question, where do you obtain these crystal?
Hades Feb 14, 2018 @ 2:24am 
The basic ones are smelted from chunks...all the other ones can be purchased from traders or drop as rare loot.

But this discussion is about how some crystals are under-powered and others are over-powered.
Redeye Mar 10, 2018 @ 9:16am 
if anyone has a balanced xml I can replace this mods base modifiers I'll happily take it. Storm this is a good discussion about balance. It's frankly very unbalanced.
Hades Mar 10, 2018 @ 4:25pm 
So far the top tier damage crystals are doing about 40dps in the description.. though with lightsaber offense modifiers I guess that means they would max out at around 100dps.

Still too high maybe? I mean, one or 2 strikes from a lightsaber should kill most people, armoured or not.
Tal'Raziid Mar 11, 2018 @ 12:17am 
Originally posted by Storm:
So far the top tier damage crystals are doing about 40dps in the description.. though with lightsaber offense modifiers I guess that means they would max out at around 100dps.

Still too high maybe? I mean, one or 2 strikes from a lightsaber should kill most people, armoured or not.
Sometimes my pawns, with very high melee skill, down enemies in 1 or 2 attacks. Which is effective, but i want my battles to last a liiiitle bit longer xD
Although, deflection works amazing with high melee skill (i think skill affects it), for tanking ranged enemies and dealing a bit of damage too
Tal'Raziid Mar 11, 2018 @ 12:22am 
Also, here's the file path to the file containign the crystal defs: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\workshop\content\294100\918200645\Defs\ThingDefs_Items\PJ_Items.xml
Now, one thing i've noticed is that some of the crystals dont have a damage_multiplier, (Firkrann, Pontite, for instance) as well.
If you ask me, id recommend toning down even some of the advanced crystals clsoer to a 1.5-2.0x modifier
Redeye Mar 11, 2018 @ 11:30am 
Hey Tal can you help me find the file that modifies the saber glow effect? I'm having FPS issues when I ignite a saber. I need to turn down the glow effect
Tal'Raziid Mar 11, 2018 @ 11:50am 
Yeah, no problem. Give me a bit, I’ll look around for it
Tal'Raziid Mar 11, 2018 @ 12:01pm 
@Issah
For the record, i'm mostly bashing my face against files looking for keywords, I'm by no means an expert at this.
-<li Class="SWSaber.CompProperties_LightsaberActivatableEffect">
<compClass>SWSaber.CompLightsaberActivatableEffect</compClass>
<altitudeLayer>MoteOverhead</altitudeLayer>
<ActivateLabel>Activate</ActivateLabel>
<uiIconPathActivate>UI/Lightsaber/ActivateSaber</uiIconPathActivate>
<DeactivateLabel>Deactivate</DeactivateLabel>
<uiIconPathDeactivate>UI/Lightsaber/DeactivateSaber</uiIconPathDeactivate>
<activateSound>PJ_LightsaberActivate</activateSound>
<sustainerSound>PJ_LightsaberHum</sustainerSound>
<deactivateSound>PJ_LightsaberDeactivate</deactivateSound>
<gizmosOnEquip>true</gizmosOnEquip>
-<graphicData>
<texPath>Weapons/LightsaberBlade</texPath>
<graphicClass>Graphic_Single</graphicClass>
<shaderType>CutoutComplex</shaderType>
</graphicData>
</li>
This is the closest thing ive seen to what id guess is the location for the glow effect. Not sure yet, since i dont what the defs for glowing effects are labeled under.
(file path is: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\workshop\content\294100\918200645\Defs\ThingDefs_WeaponMelee\PJ_Lightsabers.xml)
Last edited by Tal'Raziid; Mar 11, 2018 @ 12:01pm
Redeye Mar 11, 2018 @ 12:18pm 
I'm ripping through the dll for SWSaber using an app called JetBrains dotPeek. I can see all the C# of the glow effect. I'm no C# expert there is alot of code to make the glow. I want to find out how to just turn it off to see if that helps. Curious though are you getting any FPS low when you activate a light saber? I have a gtx 970 and a decent rig, I don't understand why its hurting me. as for the DPS tweaks, https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1poiSM7jAlEvDq5fuEsSNwszlSNGmNiW42sp8G3Ujp-Q/edit#gid=0 has his numbers for damage for each crystal, just in case you didn't see it.
Tal'Raziid Mar 11, 2018 @ 1:13pm 
Nah, i dont have any issues with lightsabers causing FPS drops, not even on my crappy old laptop.
Redeye Mar 11, 2018 @ 9:00pm 
I do have like 100 mods enabled. I'll test it with just the SW stuff on to see if it does anything different for me. Good to know its a "me" problem :) helps narrow down whats wrong.
Tirimor Sep 6, 2020 @ 5:14am 
My only problem is armor pen. They are lightsabers, they are supposed to cut through almost everything. Though different hilts would also be a good thing. We could use the hilts from Fallen Order and even use galen marak's lightsaber hilt. There are plenty of options of hilts out there to be put in the mod.
Jenkem Oct 18, 2020 @ 3:21pm 
What does the (-1%) mean under the crystal?
< >
Showing 1-15 of 15 comments
Per page: 1530 50