Arma 3
FC-37 Thunder
Architeuthis Oct 25, 2014 @ 4:16am
Bug report
Very impressed by this beta release. The model and textures are top notch and are definitely on par with the vanilla assets (if not exceeding them). I haven't done any heavy testing, but there are a few issues that I noticed which could use some work.

While Absolutely gorgeous, the cockpit itself could use some more functionalty. I would like to see even more interaction with the MFD, i.e. additional interactive gauges, more status updates, a map etc. etc. Perhaps a working JDAM GPS targetting system? Maybe you could coordinate with john_spartan and saul (if not now, perhaps after the contest).

Minor issues include poor manoeuvrability on the ground, the fuel nozzle appearing untextured from the cockpit view (no issue in third person), no flame effects from the engine and no animation from the exaust. I also seem to be unable to eject. Moreover, I would like to see randomized markings to give each plane some individuality (i.e. fighterwing, pilotnames, etc.)

All in all a phenomenal beta release, and imho a sure contender for a podium finish in the contest.
Last edited by Architeuthis; Oct 25, 2014 @ 4:22am
< >
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
Saippua  [developer] Oct 25, 2014 @ 5:21am 
Hey thanks for the feedback. The lack of functionality in the cockpit is in part due to the lack of animationsources for class MFD and model.cgf. I had big plans when i started working on this but the more i worked, the more i realized how limited the engine is.. I cant really animate something like thrust vectoring (which doesnt even exist in arma, but could be faked if the throttle animationsource was working in the code, which its not) or engine RPM/oil temperatures if the values arent exposed in the code. It seems that airplane simulation has never really been a priority for BI, and most of the functionality for helis/other vehicles simply doesnt work for class Plane. Maybe that will change in the future (at least helicopters are getting some love recently in the form of rotorLIB)
Some of these features could probably be done via a custom script, but since im not much of a coder i decided it focus on things im good at. Also with some scripts i did have to make, it seemed that they have a massive impact on performance so i dread to think what a full JDAM system or tactical map would do to performance.

Anyways thats enough rambling on.. Ive already fixed the fuel nozzle, ground turn radius and engine particle effects (no flames, since no afterburner :( ). Ill also be downgrading a bunch of textures to improve performance (currently theres a ton of 4096x4096 textures which can be a killer for performance on lower GPU RAM systems.

Lastly, I havent noticed any problems with ejecting myself. Seems to work fine for me at least so if you can supply some more detailed information on what situations it happens in, thatd be great
AdmiralSnackBars Oct 25, 2014 @ 8:55am 
If we want to keep the high res textures is there a way to do that?
Architeuthis Oct 25, 2014 @ 10:15am 
A shame to hear about the reduced functionality for the plane class. It is what it is I suppose. Perhaps in the future the fixed wing aspects will receive some more love from BIS. But an interactive map should be doable. Plenty of mods seem to have implemented it without (seemingly) a loss of performance. Nodunit and Franze's AH-64 and the SU-35 flanker by John_spartan and Saul come to mind. Though admittedly, the former is a helo class. However, the MFD seems to include status indicators for the lights (both normal and collision), however these appear to be static assets. Is it not possible to make this dynamic? It's always the small details that make an addon great. Perhaps you could enlist the help of Nodunit and Franze? To date they seem to have implemented the most advanced coding for an ARMA series aircraft (to my knowledge).

Hopefully you don't cut too many of the high resolution textures. Performance wise the plane seems alright (and I have a lousy system) and it would be shame to sacrifice the clean and crisp textures for marginal gain. That being said, I suppose the argument could go the other way around as well I supppose. In any case, I hope the cockpit will remain high resolution atleast. Nothing worse than seeing blurry instrument panels.

I've also encountered a small visual bug. On the right side of the fuselage, close to the cockpit, a small black artifact can be seen. I've included a screenshot for further reference.
http://i.imgur.com/CUOSyV2.jpg

Regarding the eject bug. Ejection is somehow disabled for both the menu and the hotkey (2x v) options. However, at the time of testing I was running CBA and a bunch of other mods. I'll try to replicate it using a vanilla ARMA 3 soon. Lastly, the plane seems a bit too shiny in clear skies daylight conditions. It looks fine during overcast conditions. If I find any more bugs, I'll be sure to report them.

Edit: ever thought about adding a b61? ;)
Last edited by Architeuthis; Oct 25, 2014 @ 10:45am
76561198124528931 Oct 25, 2014 @ 1:44pm 
bugs :C
COMMANDOBLACK Oct 25, 2014 @ 4:27pm 
Please do not down grade the textures. With great mods, people need to understand to up the power of their tech. The community should not slow to an idle, then to stand for the few. People need to upgrade, because this is platnum work here. With that said. I'm only having a slight problem with the sound of getting out of the plane. That would be the stealth plane of the two. Just using one mod. And that is the USS IOWA at the moment. Again enjoying this plane. Once I get my 30" monitor back up and running. I will have some video of its awesomeness.
COMMANDOBLACK Oct 25, 2014 @ 5:55pm 
I also found out that the plane does not like the Nimitz ship deck at all. Just placing it on the deck it explodes.
Malek Oct 26, 2014 @ 3:45am 
Please fix the issue with the Nimitz, when I land or place it on the Deck it explodes, when you fix that I restart to fly the Thunder because it is a beautiful plane but I can`t use it at the moment.
OCTOP01 Oct 26, 2014 @ 9:34am 
I have no problems ejecting myself, but i think the radar needs to be greatly improved(Maybe this is a bug). I also think that you should add better manoeuvrability in the air because youre getting outmanouvred quite easily by the F-18 or Su-35.

Edit:For some reason the thunder has great problems dodging missiles even compared to the A-164 Wipeout maybe you can fix that too.
Last edited by OCTOP01; Oct 26, 2014 @ 11:45am
stubbs May 23, 2015 @ 9:08pm 
So i have been having problems adding the gau22 or whatever gun it is. I put in the loadout = "atg" ;gun "yes" but it still isnt giving me the gun. I have tried it on the ground and airborn but the gau never shows up. What am i doing wrong? Any imput would be greatly appreciated, I love this plane as is but with the gau and maybe some rocket pods it would be the greatest ever
Boris Nov 11, 2015 @ 5:40pm 
This jet is not compatible with the USS Nimitz. Can u please fix this
nicolay-nikitenko Jul 27, 2019 @ 8:20am 
Dear author, you have created a plane that, in terms of the quality of textures, no one has yet been able to circumvent even in 2019. It is a pity that his defect does not allow you to enjoy a fully elegant fighter. Can you fix the problem with jumping the plane when driving on the road? This problem is peculiar to old addons.
< >
Showing 1-11 of 11 comments
Per page: 1530 50