Call to Arms

Call to Arms

WarFighter - Authentic CtA Overhaul
 This topic has been pinned, so it's probably important
Yuri~  [developer] Mar 12, 2022 @ 9:31pm
Q&A Answers
This part of the discussion will be used to address commonly asked questions and updated regularly whenever there is any more question in the comment section.

1) Q: Why does it seem incomplete? Some things don't seem to work properly and I think it could have been better?

A: The mod is still in early phase of development and not finalized. We got lives to do and it'll take time for us to finalize it and troubleshoot bugs. That's why we're relying on you to report any issue you come across.

2) Q: Is there a way to port or add texmods to vehicles or skins and make them work?

A: I'm afraid this is kind of complicated to explain, but there are tutorials for texturing which you can find in forums. You'll get used to the get around in time. Here is one of it: Link to ModDB Tutorial by merhabi

3) Q: I have suggestions, will you take our suggestions?

A: That depends if we think it's within the realm of possibility or not, or if we think it's valid for the mod. For example, we can't just slap any model into the mod and call it a day, due to factors such as if it fits with the rest of the models, if it makes sense in accordance to the mod's lore and geopolitics (which are heavily based off real life world), compatibility issues, trying to source the model, if the author allows us to use their asset, etc.

4) Q: Can I make any paid request?

A: Sorry, we don't take requests in regards on what we do to the mod, as we have our own roadmap and vision on what it'll be. But you can always suggest and we may consider it. If you care to support us, you can donate to my Ko-Fi link to Ko-Fi[ko-fi.com]. We'll appreciate it! Makes out life much easier, which in turn makes progress on the mod faster too with life issues being more out of the way, or we buy commissions for certain stuff for our projects.

5) Q: Is there any lore or catalogue of information on the updated lore and equipment of the factions within this mod?

A: We've been working on them. It's still WIP and will be updated regularly, and published sooner or later. One thing for sure -- they are based off real life equivalents and what ifs.

6) Q: What's up with the sound of vehicle engines that keep going on?

A: We've done a similar thing as in GoH, in which we give the ability for players to turn on/off the engine of their vehicles. You can find the option within the in-game interface. Just search for it that says toggle on/off engine. Of course, you can't toggle on/off engine if the vehicle's engine is too damaged.

7) Q: Do you create models?

A: I don't, but my co-dev Ruemc does. I make things shoot and go boom, he's the weapon and vehicle dealer and maker that gives you the good stuff.

8) Q: This mod isn't balanced and bad for competitive play. Why do you even make it so?

A: Since when war is fair? Even if it's a fictional scenario, we still base it off very heavily off real world geopolitics, military power, assets, and equipment along with how they perform as how they would in real life. Of course, things are not always 100% realistic since it is impossible to replicate 100% realism in a video game. But least we can do is make the experience authentic. If you look for balanced or competitive play, I suggest looking for another mod or play Vanilla CtA instead.

9) Q: With how urban CtA maps are and how deadly things are in this mod, I find it difficult to get my troops to secure a fortified position!

A: Use every single available asset in your disposal, and come up with whatever idea to improvise and overcome. If the enemies are occupying a chokepoint and there is no way around them, make a breach! Use C4s, anti-tank weapons, whatever to breach walls and make entry points, or for obstacle reduction purposes. And you will breach cover and new entries A LOT in this mod.

10) Q: What's your plan?

A: For now, we focus on making skins for the UAF and GRM and further overhaul of them. Once it's complete, we'll do US, Rebels, and Russia next. Eventually, after all of those have been finished, we'll make a new BLUFOR faction based off Ukrainian and Georgian armed forces, inspired by the 2022 Russo-Ukrainian war. A potential OPFOR faction in the much later future is the Chinese PLA, but that's far-stretched for now.

11. Q: Chill with the amount of anti-tank equipment! Will AT gets nerfed or reduced in amount?

A: Me, Ruemc, and the contributors have discussed about it. We did a little voting. All of us said no, so... no. Doesn't help that most CtA maps are haven for AT infantry too and cramped areas where vehicles are vulnerable. Either way, yeah, vehicles are still useful. Just know their capabilities and use them right, keep them as support or security, use obstacles as cover/hull down if possible, and don't rush them into places.

12. Q: Why are US Marines equipped with suppressors? They're regular Marine infantry, not spec ops or recon.

A: Marines are equipped with supressors because recently many marine infantry received them along with other gucci stuff such as FAST style helmets, believe it or not. Yes, I'm talking about the infantry, not just FORECON, MARSOC, or recon marines. This mod's timetable is set from 2022-near future.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2020/12/29/marine-corps-has-started-fielding-30000-rifle-suppressors-combat-units.html

https://youtu.be/i_CRwa2F71o

13. Q: What are the actual purposes of this mod?

A: (quoting my reply to something) I'm not one for small talks, but we are grateful for your support and care. This mod would not have been this good without the amazing things Ruemc did plus the several contributors that made things better.

It is intentional that there is a lack of outline on what the mod is actually about and what's the actual goals or objectives of the mod aside from an "overhaul", as we leave what it is to the player's interpretation.

But one thing for sure -- you can get hints of what it is and what we meant to do with the word "Warfighter", its definition, and the mod description.

Warfighter -- a combatant deployed to the AO, responsible for the use of military or combative action in combat. This term is a popular jargon within the modern US military.
This mod may sound and speak in American/NATO, but despite our personal preferences and who we side with in real life, we prefer that we won't be biased with technical info and development history of equipment, arsenal, and the average capability of said "warfighters" in every side. We want to reflect what a good warfighter would care about -- details, down to the tiniest ones, and understanding the situations they are in, and doing whatever they can to win the fight.
Sure there are silly and unrealistic aspects (the magical Javelin and how you can revive people endless times...), but since we can never copy the medium of real life into video games indefinitely, we still have to make some shortcuts here and there just to make the mod playable in most scenarios, with vanilla campaign missions take into mind.

There is so much you can do with a video game after all. But it's a good platform to get your interests to learn about something and then get interested in the real deal eventually (real life). Remember to not get confused between the different realities, however, as we can only reflect the atmosphere and feel of reality in a very abstract manner (this mod).
Either way, we want the player to care about their personal weapon, their service rifle, what are the capabilities of their squad automatic weapon, and how the infantry work in conjunction with vehicles as mobile gun and armored platforms, with violence of force to flush out and destroy the enemy. Playstyle is flexible dependant on user preference, and direct control plus individual unit action play an extremely vital role.

The gameplay and how things end boils down to how you approach it.

We personally talked with experienced individuals such as US Army veterans, along with taking references of sources such as certain gun channels (T-REX Arms, Forgotten Weapons, 9-Hole Reviews, Garand Thumb, etc) and sources such as Tankograd, Steel Beasts, Spookston, etc with consideration in order to get educated perception and guesses on how things work.
A bit of lesson from personal experiences are taken into consideration for things in the mod as well. Accuracy of units or handling of weapons are accounted by a variety of factors, for example. Stance, individual skill, optic, weapon, inertia/weight balance. Nothing is perfect but we make do.

Either way, we're a chaotic, ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥, and sarcastic bunch of mod developers/contributors who have done our own things here and there, and we have no regrets :)
Last edited by Yuri~; May 27, 2022 @ 2:09am