ARK: Survival Evolved

ARK: Survival Evolved

ARK: Survival Evolved Workshop
Browse and subscribe to Maps and Mods to extend and enhance your ARK experience! Play locally, or host online servers with Workshop content to expand your survival gameplay beyond the ARK!
Learn More
 This topic has been pinned, so it's probably important
Zen Rowe 5 Apr 17, 2018 @ 7:17pm
Wildcard Workshop - Mod Tutorial Series
Hello everyone I would like to introduce you to our new official modding tutorial series: Wildcard Workshop.

In the series I will be diving into working with the ADK, giving tutorial, tips, and best practices for everyone who is interested in learning to mod ARK.

New episodes are scheduled to be added every other week.

Wildcard Workshop Youtube Playlist

I recommend visiting the individual episode posts below as there is the possibility that supplimental information could be found there in the event that I find mistakes after the video is posted or based on community feedback.

Episodes:
Last edited by Zen Rowe; Mar 25, 2019 @ 12:57pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 28 comments
ShaZZa 10 Apr 17, 2018 @ 8:16pm 
Would be good if you could do an INI tutorial (that's a bit more in depth and more user friendly then what's around).
Zen Rowe 5 Apr 17, 2018 @ 8:20pm 
Originally posted by ShaZZa:
Would be good if you could do an INI tutorial (that's a bit more in depth and more user friendly then what's around).

It's on my list of things to cover :)
I need to cover the herd of elephants sitting in the room though and get some of the big topics out of the way, like replication, before I can dive into the more granular topics like config options
Cyber Riddler Apr 19, 2018 @ 1:48pm 
KitsuneShiro 2 Apr 19, 2018 @ 2:02pm 
It was be nice to do a video on getting the dev kit to run better. It just crashes for me.
Zen Rowe 5 Apr 19, 2018 @ 7:32pm 
Originally posted by DestroyerTOP:
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Originally posted by KitsuneShiro:
It was be nice to do a video on getting the dev kit to run better. It just crashes for me.
The first video goes over setting up the devkit and how to make it run efficiently.

I have to ask about the crashing though, people frequently use the word synonymously with freezing. is the devkit actually producing a big error message prompt and shutting down, or is it just locking up?
If it's locking up/freezing, watch video #1, I explain what it is that I believe you are seeing (It's loading a TON of assets into memory, it's just what UE4 does).
Last edited by Zen Rowe; Apr 19, 2018 @ 7:33pm
KitsuneShiro 2 Apr 19, 2018 @ 7:36pm 
I don't get an error message and it shutdowns.
Zen Rowe 5 Apr 19, 2018 @ 7:56pm 
Originally posted by KitsuneShiro:
I don't get an error message and it shutdowns.

Understood, if you are interested in solving it could you open a new thread here:
https://forums.unrealengine.com/development-discussion/modding/ark-survival-evolved

And I will try to help suss out the cause. Troubleshooting devkit problems is a bit off-topic for this thread.
Cor. Apr 30, 2018 @ 1:06pm 
Now with making a mod. I was thinking of getting into making armor skins. Is this possible with the dev kit?

you would wear whatever armor you wish, but the skin would be for a set(like wearing fur armor for cold, but making it look like fur lined plate). Also looking to make a skin that would just add to current armor types, kinda like putting decals over armor you already have, like "iron ons" you use for T-shirts.
Last edited by Cor.; Apr 30, 2018 @ 1:07pm
Zen Rowe 5 Apr 30, 2018 @ 2:08pm 
Originally posted by LordCorellon1:
Now with making a mod. I was thinking of getting into making armor skins. Is this possible with the dev kit?

you would wear whatever armor you wish, but the skin would be for a set(like wearing fur armor for cold, but making it look like fur lined plate). Also looking to make a skin that would just add to current armor types, kinda like putting decals over armor you already have, like "iron ons" you use for T-shirts.

Making armor skins should be possible yes. I don't know the specific needs of it yet, never tried. I'll need to look into it. I might cover that in a future tutorial. In the meantime if you open an existing armor skin item BP and look at all the modified values that should guide you on everything you need to do to make one.

As for decals.... using the existing system I believe you could make variations of existing armor skins, but I don't think the code in place would support saving UE4 decals to the armor so I think you would need to script some handling for that.
Last edited by Zen Rowe; Apr 30, 2018 @ 2:09pm
Zen Rowe 5 May 3, 2018 @ 5:27pm 
List updated with episode 5 where I provide further example of replication in use.
ShaZZa 10 May 3, 2018 @ 7:30pm 
@ Zen - Quick question, is it possible to change the "F" an "NUM" key structure bindings in the editor at all? eg F1 = cliff platform F2 = cooking pot etc. As some of the modded structures I work with require foundations/floor support and I also check collision with walls/roof. It's easier to just hit the "F" / "NUM" keys to spawn this stuff on the fly.
Zen Rowe 5 May 30, 2018 @ 2:32pm 
@Shazza
I don't think there is a way to change that with what is accessable

Also I forgot to update this post with the episode before but there is a tutorial now covering config options via the INI
Kamilul Ihs Nov 14, 2018 @ 2:40am 
Why my ark's always fatal error when i use mod? someone help me please. iam a newbie
gin3002 Apr 26, 2019 @ 10:29pm 
HI
SouthHaven 2 Jan 4, 2020 @ 1:04pm 
Every time I "complete" a mod and a upload it to steam everything works, but upon loading the mod nothing exists that should exist and nothing changes no matter what i do in or out of the kit. Thanks in advance!
< >
Showing 1-15 of 28 comments
Per page: 1530 50