Recent reviews by Bacon Overlord®

< 1  2  3 ... 12 >
Works as advertised.

Would chase around a shiny, turning, huge cursor again.
Posted February 9.
Kicked me out of Fallout First on the last day of the billing cycle. Pretty stupid.
Posted December 20, 2020.
Reviewed on i9-10900KF, RTX 2080 Ti, 64GB RAM

If you liked the Fallout series, you'll feel right at home here.

In fact, it's about the same stuff... different story, different NPCs (well, the main protagonists are different, but you'll see familiar fodder and fill-ins) along with several new types of monsters and event-driven monsters that may only show up for a few days and then disappear.

The game is played on a server with the option to upgrade to a "1st" account and have your own private server (basically where you can play without being harassed by other players unless you invite them). The connections seem secure and pretty stable for a game that's this popular. Interiors of buildings can feel a little laggy at times.

The perk and leveling system is completely different. You'll either love it or you'll hate it. I don't think there are many people that fall between. You get a series of cards to choose from (randomly generated based on your level) that you can "equip" based on the stat points in have in each of your SPECIAL stats. So if you choose to upgrade "perception" this level, you can browse the available cards for perception that you have. If you want to choose one, it'll be available to equip into your new slot in perception. As you upgrade cards (receive duplicates and combine them) you effectively upgrade your skill in various perks.

Some new things that Fallout 4 didn't have (that were sorely needed)
Machine gun turrets don't need electricity or ammo. But, you have a limit of 10 turrets on your property.
You don't have to lug around shell casings for making ammo
You have a global "stash" that you can access anywhere there is a stash... red rockets and train stations all have them as well as some other unique locations.
You have new "event" locations that you can go take part in that are reminiscent of "world quests" in MMOs like WOW, etc.

Over all the game plays well, there are some hiccups here and there with lag depending on the time of day you log in. But, for the most part even those times aren't too bad and are usually just when you first log in.

Definitely a must-play if you're a Fallout fan!
Posted November 5, 2020. Last edited November 5, 2020.
Reviewed on i9-10900KF, 2080Ti, 64GB RAM

This game.. is a masterpiece of hilarity.

If you're into games that force you to make hard choices and then show you that they were really easy choices that almost always lead to your demise or failure... well, then this game is for you.

The humor is great. The choices are often pointless and too funny to even pass up on. Even though you KNOW you'll fail.

The graphics are.. well, you can see the graphics. It's a stickman game. So... yeah...

Want to earn achievements? Fail. As much and as uniquely as you can. That's half the fun of the game.
Posted October 13, 2020.
Reviewed on I9-9980XE and 2080Ti, 32GB RAM

Lots of guns - Check
Lots of Mayhem - Check
Lots of cheesy, cringy one-liners? - Checkx9999

New stuff like followers and skills? CHECK!

Premise:
Aliens have invaded.. Well, technically they are STILL invading. it's Serious Sam 4, after all... Your job is to do what you do. Which is kill them in a spectacular font of blood and gore.

It's no Wildlands or anything, but it's comfortably in the realm of yet another entertaining version of the Serious Sam genre. It doesn't have amazing graphics, it doesn't have janky gameplay either. The controls are tight, the demons are satisfying to blow up with any and all of your arsenal, and your followers are righteous, pieous, stupid and somewhat slow in the head at times. Which makes for hilarious statements and situations.

Is it worth buying at $40? To me it was, but I'm definitely a fan of the genre. Tons and tons of things to shoot with weapons galore.

Definitely a thumbs-up and definitely a must-have for any Serious Sam fans out there.

I will say the loading times are long. I'm not sure if that's something they can fix later. I'm on a SSD and it still takes a solid 30 seconds between levels. But, honestly that's my only complaint about this game.
Posted September 24, 2020.
Reviewed on a 9980XE, 32GB RAM and 2080.

If you like story-rich games that are so linear that you can't even land wrong without "dying" and starting over. Then this is the game for you.

It's basically Diablo with Avenger characters and a third-person perspective and lots and lots of cutscenes with QTEs. LOTS of QTEs. Like... so many QTEs.

Apparently there is more to the game after you finish the main questline... which continuously bats you between the various avengers with little warning or information about how to really use their skills beyond a couple "click this" notifications.

The storyline is incredibly predictable. It's still interesting to watch the character development of a "new" avenger. Even though the cutscenes completely leave out the part about how she discovers she has powers... which is a true "thumbs down" moment right there. For me at least.

The attacks aren't very varied until apparently later in the game. At first you get the same basic attacks and fight the same mechanized opponents over and over. If you can make it through that, you get a lot more options as you level.

Personally I don't think I will. It's pretty bad in the early stages.

Anyway... this would be a NEUTRAL for me, but I'm going to give it the shadow of the doubt and thumb it down for now. Maybe after I've played it more I'll have better things to say. But, at this point it's kind of a lukewarm game. Nothing new to see here. Just a very, very linear story and some group missions afterwards.

Also, I didn't have the issues other people are complaining about with slow-downs, crashes and other problems.
Posted September 5, 2020.
Reviewed using:
i9-9980XE, 32 GB RAM, 2080TI
Index headset with Index controllers, default graphics and mobility settings

Overview: You're dumped unceremoniously in the middle of New Orleans and are trying to find your way as a "tourist" to somewhere safe. You travel by boat/skiff and and only during the day.

Each "day" is basically a 15 minute visit to an area you choose where you wander around and try to find things to salvage before the "bells" go off.

Pros:
The game looks gorgeous, is well optimized and has a decent amount of progression in the form of three unlockable trees of weapons/gear and perks.

Cons:
Aiming is far too "floaty" as if the character is a 90 year old man that can't hold a simple 5 pound shotgun straight. So the "skill" portion of aiming is ridiculous and nonexistent unless you take an inordinate amount of time to aim.

Character interaction seems to have no point. You can trade with some random NPCs for items that you can salvage, but with only one exception I can think of you really don't get much else from the NPCs beyond threats. Simply shooting them yields a gunframe usually which ends up being more useful.

The story
You get to contact someone via radio early-on and then.. nothing. No follow ups no hints, no information. If you forget your handy-dandy little notebook you're basically just wandering around for days visiting locations that all start to look alike and making decisions that seem utterly pointless to the story or the progression with other survivors.

Bottom line:
It's "ok" as far as gameplay. It's no Alyx where the controls are tight, the aiming is based on skill and the story is deeply immersive. Their decision to take skill out of the aiming kind of makes the whole game pointless to be used with the VR remotes. Especially when you can't even win a battle of tug-of-war with your weapon when the object you're up against is a branch or a pane of glass even. The character's anemia is really taxing after awhile... he can barely heft a double barrel shotgun...

I found it fun to impale zombies' heads with screwdrivers and shivs for a few minutes, after that it just got old.

If there was a Neutral rating, I'd give it to this game. The shoddy gameplay, timers and ambience is buoyed by the great graphics and some of the locations are really interesting. Not really very rewarding to explore (nothing really is in this game), but at least to walk through.

Posted May 21, 2020.
Reviewed on a 9980XE and 2080XE with 32GB RAM

First, this game is a grind.

Having gotten that out of the way, the rest of the game is great.

You can land on planets, explore, mine, help spaceships being attacked by aliens (yes, there are aliens), there are events every few months from the devs like Thargoid invasions, etc. They are touting a new fleet carrier update to come out soon and are working on a "legs" update that will allow bipedal ambulatory movement (walking for the layman) instead of just flying or driving.

Basically this is an open world. Don't expect hand-holding after the short tutorial or a guided "go here" type of adventure. It's up to you what you will become in this game. Pirate? Savior of a planet? A beacon of hope for a star system in famine? A ravager of lawless systems? Maybe a trader or one of many types of miners? It's up to you.

Pros:
- Great graphics
- No obvious transitions between space-system-planet-landing. The only repetitive animation you face is the hyperdrive effect when you jump between systems.
- Multiple game modes allow you to enjoy the game as you want to. So.. play solo if you like or create a private server that only your steam friends can join or just play open and interact with the thousands of other players. PVP your thing? There is plenty of it. PVP NOT your thing? You can easily avoid most players and PVP even if attacked or you can play a game mode that makes other players nonexistent.
- Engineering is great.. you can take a ship that's ok or even bad and make it into something you love. It adds another layer of customization to the game that really helps specialize a ship into what you want it to do. Be prepared though. Nothing comes easy.
- Many different missions from various starports with different options for mission rewards from credits to rare items needed for engineering to just plain reputation with the controlling faction or superpower.
- Many different ships are available. Each one has a specific feel, sound and cockpit as well as handling and stats. None of them feel redundant or just "reskinned"
- The space dogfights are a lot of fun. It brings the whole experience together and lets you see just how helpful that last "upgrade" was.

Cons:
- The grind. It's there, it's rough. But, they make it worth it. Engineering isn't always easy to do, but the results are fantastic. Want that federal corvette? It's going to cost you some time as you gain ranks and build your reputation with several start systems. But, is it worth it? Absolutely. The light at the end of the tunnel is a bright one. Granted, opinions vary on what your time is worth. But, for me it was definitely worth it. I can't think of a time when I got done getting ready for a trip to find something I needed, or was delivering goods and felt it wasn't worth the time. I had fun while I was doing it.
- Astrophysics is a bad words in this game. Don't expect to be able to turn in any direction as you go as fast as you want. There has to be a bit of "arcade" gameplay in order to keep things interesting. So, pulling G's in space is kind of a thing, so is limiting your turn speed based on the size of your ship. We all know that wouldn't ACTUALLY be a factor in space, but in the game.. well.. there has to be a way to differentiate between different ships and make big ships feel "heavier" than small ships. This his how it is done. Also, speeding up as you approach planets and having your speed limited while near one is a thing.. they call it planetary grav-wells. Which WOULD actually happen, but not nearly as dramatically as they have it in the game. So, if you're a fan of physics... just remember, it's a game.

All-in-all you can approach this game how you like and can play it in a way that you like. MMO, single player or even Coop/PVP with friends.
Posted March 19, 2020. Last edited March 19, 2020.
This review encompasses both the VR and pancake versions of the game.

Played on: I9-9980XE, 2080Ti with 32GB RAM
VR version: Index Headset and Vive PRO wands

Premise: An expansive explorer game of the universe. Mostly the UNKNOWN universe. Where crafting, gathering and base building are possible in order to upgrade your personal exosuit, multi-tool and starship(s) as well as (later on) your fleet of frigates and capital ship.

Pros:
The first planet you start on as a pretty extensive (and long) tutorial guide via objectives.
The walking gameplay feels tight and well implemented when playing with either mouse and keyboard or VIVE Pro wands.
The upgradeability of the exosuit and multitool gives you lots of end-game possibilities and things to look forward to.
Finding a trader ship or settlements is always fun.
Learning a language is a fun pursuit as practicing the language successfully can net some really worthwhile loot.

The VR version of the game felt worlds better than the pancake one and despite the few issues (listed under cons) it was definitely the superior choice for truly getting into the game.

Building on capital ships is definitely fun. Although the pieces are a bit limited (at least at the point of the game I've gotten to so far) you can still make a huge base with lots of stations.

Cons:
Learning a language doesn't seem to have any real impact on the game (so far) beyond knowing exactly what various races are specifically saying. This is usually conveyed by their body language anyway.

The spaceship flying with Vive Pro wands is pretty wonky at first. Thankfully there are a ton of customization options for just about anything in the game so you can adjust it to your liking.

The spaceship flying with a mouse takes awhile to get used to, but felt a bit more manageable than the VR version (to me anyway).

The VR version has some hiccups when trying to target specific things (like boxes are are near each other) or flying with the jetpack tends to lock you into one direction, the HUD sticks to one direction, also the teleporting sometimes turns you in unexpected directions. I feel like the game was meant to be played sitting down for VR which would negate a lot of these issues, but also makes it so you have to use the turning on the D-pad which defeats immersion for me.

All-in-all this is a game worth your time. But, expect to invest quite a bit of it as there are a ton of things to do and no real agenda beyond a few vague references once you complete the tutorial. The universe is there for your exploration.
Posted January 31, 2020.
Frustrating map layouts? Yes
Unsynced talking in cutscenes? Yes
Story broken by meaningless political positioning for a faction system that appears to do nothing more than give an achievement? Yes
Sparse (at best) combat? Yes

What looks like a decent game in the videos and gameplay ends up being unpolished, stiff and bland in practice.

I tried being a mage as my first character... you literally get one spell. Shadow bolts. That's it. Later on you can unlock a skill that does a small AoE and can do some CC with a stun.

That's the sum total of their version of a "mage".

Want to be a fighter? Get used to parry, attack, parry, attack. Literally that's all you do.

The story seems like it's good, but it's so broken up by meaningless side missions and quests that relate to a mechanic of faction relationships that's never explained nor do you seem to get anything out of it.

The graphics are pretty bad for a current-generation game. The actors move their mouths during cutscenes... that's about as close to lip synced as they get. Clothing and physics are stiff and immersion breaking as much as the mispronunciation of French words.

The nail in the coffin was the fact that the intial offering of the skill menu is literally the entire offering. I thought maybe it was just the first page of skills or something. Each "class" has about 3 skills you can unlock that are somewhat related to your stats. Unless you want to cross-class, that's all you get and you unlock the entire first skill by level 4 which, for me was by the time I got on the ship.

I would avoid this unless it's on a deep sale or there is a bunch of content, skills, animation updates, etc. added to this.
Posted January 13, 2020.