Dauntis Jul 15, 2016 @ 11:32am
Steam Error On Startup - Help!? - solved
Update:

I tried the config flush over and over until it finally worked and it seems to be working now. Thanks!

[Window Title]
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\bin\win32\vrpathreg.exe

[Content]
Windows cannot find 'C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR\bin\win32\vrpathreg.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again.

[OK]

Every time I log into steam on my PC as of today, I receive the above error message as a popup, I click 'OK' about 3 times for the error to go away, then steam will boot.

About 10 seconds later steam completely freezes and I can't figure out a way to fix it. I'm not even using VR or anything of the sort so I don't understand the error, or if it has anything to do with the program constantly crashing.
Last edited by Dauntis; Jul 17, 2016 @ 5:58am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 15 comments
wuddih Jul 15, 2016 @ 11:52am 
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=3134-TIAL-4638
tried this already?

also check your anti-virus if it does something with that file for some reason.
Altec_GT95 Jul 16, 2016 @ 9:26pm 
I had the same problem 1 week ago, the solution was update the SteamVR aplication from the "SteamVR" tab (Library menu) just click on "Install", and it should start to update the application. Just click "ok" if you get the same Errors mentioned on this post, until it dissapear. After the update, restart steam. And that's all! I hope I was helpful. :happy_creep::handprintleft:
Dauntis Jul 17, 2016 @ 5:56am 
I found another forum post that said to basically delete a lot of folders within steam, except for a few, and I did that, and it removed the error that I was posting about, But I'm still getting the same client is not responding message.

I can't even try the flush because when I get the message asking for permission for steam to access files it freezes.

I also can't do the Update SteamVR application because I can't get into my library. It crashes immediately after I open it every time.
Dan Jul 17, 2016 @ 6:15am 
can u help me i have the smae problem only it still wont work for me?
Dan Jul 17, 2016 @ 6:46am 
i have the same problem i cant even get onto steam and its really annoying. we may have to unistall steam and reinstall it
Armaky Jul 20, 2016 @ 11:58am 
Solved with Flush mode.. TU wuddih :blissful_creep:

The folder "Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR" was created probably during an update of steam client.. now the folder was eliminated from the system bcz i never downlod Steam VR in my System
AZI-DAHAKA Jul 21, 2016 @ 3:03am 
Had the same problem and solved it on a simple way myself.
Long story short :
1. Go in your Library and then chose "tools"
2. Fully install SteamVR there.
3. After installing the 300+ mb you simply rightclick on it again and "delete local content"
4. The error should not appear anymore because SteamVR was completely deleted over the steamclient, so your client wont search for the file anymore.
Listrius Jul 27, 2016 @ 12:55pm 
Heyho, I had the same problem, I fixed it like this:
1. Installed SteamVR in the Tools Tab (error still occured)
2. Verified SteamVR and SteamVR Performance Test in Properties "Local Files"
3. Restarted Steam
4. Fixed

Hope this will help somebody :-)
Fabioluiz100 [BR] Jul 31, 2016 @ 6:46pm 
Originally posted by <ODC>MeTaL_GanDalF:
Heyho, I had the same problem, I fixed it like this:
1. Installed SteamVR in the Tools Tab (error still occured)
2. Verified SteamVR and SteamVR Performance Test in Properties "Local Files"
3. Restarted Steam
4. Fixed

Hope this will help somebody :-)

Thx, bro, working for me...
weee Sep 2, 2016 @ 7:19am 
Originally posted by Armaky:
Solved with Flush mode.. TU wuddih :blissful_creep:

The folder "Steam\steamapps\common\SteamVR" was created probably during an update of steam client.. now the folder was eliminated from the system bcz i never downlod Steam VR in my System

this worked, just remove the SteamVR folder in your <steaminstallation>\steamapps\common folder and restart steam
MuthaFukinRick Apr 12, 2017 @ 11:50pm 
Originally posted by Δltε๛_ஞ95 么:
I had the same problem 1 week ago, the solution was update the SteamVR aplication from the "SteamVR" tab (Library menu) just click on "Install", and it should start to update the application. Just click "ok" if you get the same Errors mentioned on this post, until it dissapear. After the update, restart steam. And that's all! I hope I was helpful. :happy_creep::handprintleft:
I followed the steps you outlined, then restarted Steam and the issue was resolved. I owe you a blood debt and will forever be your Wookie. [Gggggaaaaaaarrrrr]
JakubkaT- Apr 13, 2017 @ 12:40am 
I dont know :steamsad:
VValdmeister Jun 13, 2017 @ 11:18am 
Originally posted by AZI-DAHAKA:
Had the same problem and solved it on a simple way myself.
Long story short :
1. Go in your Library and then chose "tools"
2. Fully install SteamVR there.
3. After installing the 300+ mb you simply rightclick on it again and "delete local content"
4. The error should not appear anymore because SteamVR was completely deleted over the steamclient, so your client wont search for the file anymore.

This worked for me. Thx
Novotny Jun 20, 2017 @ 10:35pm 
deleting the openvr folder worked for me.
Wombo Stombo Aug 13, 2017 @ 9:06am 
Yeah, these instructions to install SteamVR are unnecessary. Just find the unwanted SteamVR (or other VR) folder in SteamApps, and delete it (or as someone else said, navigate to SteamVR and click "delete local content."
< >
Showing 1-15 of 15 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Jul 15, 2016 @ 11:32am