This topic has been locked
roblox Aug 20, 2018 @ 12:56pm
Best Download Region For Me?
Hello so i have 1gb/s internet and with cable like 600+ mb/s and i want to max out my download speed on steam last time i downloaded a game it was like 20mb/s and i talked to a person he said he was in netherlands with like twice as lower speed then mine and had like 50mb/s what are my options to max out the speed i have the thing as no limit if yall was wondering

EDIT:Im from Lithuania (I need the best region for me the default is poland but like ages ago someone said poland is bad for me)
Last edited by roblox; Aug 15, 2020 @ 12:52pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 21 comments
Drab Aug 20, 2018 @ 12:59pm 
To max out the speed pick the region that downloads the fastest.
roblox Aug 20, 2018 @ 1:06pm 
Originally posted by Drab:
To max out the speed pick the region that downloads the fastest.
how do i know wich region downloads the fastests tho
wuddih Aug 20, 2018 @ 3:59pm 
ask your cpu that question. that limits your Steam downloads.
roblox Aug 21, 2018 @ 4:38am 
Originally posted by aaaaaaaaa:
yeah just pick one of the closest regions and make sure your hard drive and cpu arent slow AND make sure your using (atleast) cat 5e cables all the way to your router (and definitely not wifi), also ethernet cable length is apparently a factor too
maybe thats a problem for me bcs my pc is trashhhh
Cattenheimer Aug 28, 2018 @ 10:21am 
Originally posted by MisticRoyale:
Hello so i have 1gb/s internet and with cable like 600+ mb/s and i want to max out my download speed on steam last time i downloaded a game it was like 20mb/s and i talked to a person he said he was in netherlands with like twice as lower speed then mine and had like 50mb/s what are my options to max out the speed i have the thing as no limit if yall was wondering

EDIT:Im from Lithuania (I need the best region for me the default is poland but like ages ago someone said poland is bad for me)
A. Payment Authorization

You agree that you will not use IP proxying or other methods to disguise the place of your residence, whether to circumvent geographical restrictions on game content, to purchase at pricing not applicable to your geography, or for any other purpose. If you do this, Valve may terminate your access to your Account. :https://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/
SMIFFY Aug 28, 2018 @ 10:28am 
^^:steamfacepalm:
He talking about a downloading games not buying them. Anyone can pick any server they like from the drop down list in Steam > Downloads settings.
Cattenheimer Aug 28, 2018 @ 10:32am 
Ofc i know. Just saying. Maybe he will like the VPN and try to buy something with it. Who knows what will be happened in future :cleanhourglass:
PolishHussar95 May 18, 2019 @ 4:23pm 
Originally posted by wuddih:
so you want to ask your CPU which region is fastest???? LOOOOOOOOL
im sure if i did... it wouldnt answer
Last edited by PolishHussar95; May 18, 2019 @ 4:23pm
cSg|mc-Hotsauce May 18, 2019 @ 4:30pm 
Originally posted by PolishHussar95:
Originally posted by wuddih:
so you want to ask your CPU which region is fastest???? LOOOOOOOOL
im sure if i did... it wouldnt answer

Try all download servers until you find one with speeds you are happy with. Any server near me was slow as dirt. Nearest does not always equal faster.

The ones that were faster for me (I'm on the east coast) are, UAE, Vancover, Houston, South Korea and Sweden. Manchester works for others.

:qr:
Fear dot Com May 18, 2019 @ 5:56pm 
Hm. I got a buddy in Lithuania, and he downloads games ridiculously fast. IDK, just search around until you find one that you're satisfied with. Like, funny enough...Honolulu servers are stupidly slow, but I get the best speeds when I set the region to Finland (no idea how that's even a thing, but it works for me).
Qmancer Oct 30, 2019 @ 7:09am 
Originally posted by NP • Group4K:
Originally posted by MisticRoyale:

A. Payment Authorization

You agree that you will not use IP proxying or other methods to disguise the place of your residence, whether to circumvent geographical restrictions on game content, to purchase at pricing not applicable to your geography, or for any other purpose. If you do this, Valve may terminate your access to your Account. :https://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement/

He meant the download region and not to change country option
Cattenheimer Oct 30, 2019 @ 9:14am 
Originally posted by Qmancer:
Originally posted by NP • Group4K:
A. Payment Authorization

He meant the download region and not to change country option
I understood it a long time ago. No need to necro.
VeritasThePotato Dec 11, 2019 @ 7:11am 
Originally posted by David B:

EDIT:Im from Lithuania (I need the best region for me the default is poland but like ages ago someone said Poland is bad for me)

I am located in Latvia and tried a couple of servers due to similar reasons. I get the exact same download speed when I am connected to St. Petersburgh (Russia) or Warsaw (Poland). So, I believe it doesn't matter where you choose unless you are really far away. Let's sat if u choose Germany or France, of course, your download speed will be lower than the one in Poland or other neighbouring countries.

+ Sometimes the quality of internet in the server region also matters, for example, if the country that you choose does not have a good internet or fibernet infrastructure then it does not matter how close you are as distance-wise, you still gonna get low download speed.
cSg|mc-Hotsauce Dec 11, 2019 @ 7:12am 
Originally posted by ✪✥VeRiTaS✥✪:
Originally posted by David B:

EDIT:Im from Lithuania (I need the best region for me the default is poland but like ages ago someone said Poland is bad for me)

I am located in Latvia and tried a couple of servers due to similar reasons. I get the exact same download speed when I am connected to St. Petersburgh (Russia) or Warsaw (Poland). So, I believe it doesn't matter where you choose unless you are really far away. Let's sat if u choose Germany or France, of course, your download speed will be lower than the one in Poland or other neighbouring countries.

+ Sometimes the quality of internet in the server region also matters, for example, if the country that you choose does not have a good internet or fibernet infrastructure then it does not matter how close you are as distance-wise, you still gonna get low download speed.

Distance is irrelevant.

:qr:
Phantom Dec 11, 2019 @ 7:17am 
Originally posted by ✪✥VeRiTaS✥✪:

ISP routing and nodes and so on may affect the results.

o, I believe it doesn't matter where you choose unless you are really far away. Let's sat if u choose Germany or France, of course, your download speed will be lower than the one in Poland or other neighbouring countries.

Yeah, distance means nothing much at all.

Some servers can be slower today and faster tommorow.

Congestion? - Most likely is the explanation.

:cozydbd:
< >
Showing 1-15 of 21 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Aug 20, 2018 @ 12:56pm