This topic has been locked
Sephiroth Oct 19, 2020 @ 2:34am
Steam will not refund my purchase of Baldurs Gate 3 (horrible game).
So naturally I own all the other dnd games and I gave it a shot. Not only was the game totally buggy but it was horrible. I tried to play the game but the in game bugs lag, graphical errors, etc where just horrible. Nevermind it was not in the slightest what I would call a Baldurs Gate game compared to original.

Anyway I played for 4.9 hours. If not for how buggy the game was in the first place this would not have lasted more than 2 hours.

I told them I wanted a refund and they declinded citing the 2 hour rule.
yet the 2 hour rule is not the nail in the coffin even based on what they have to say for a return policy.

http://store.steampowered.com/steam_refunds/
"It doesn't matter. Valve will, upon request via help.steampowered.com, issue a refund for any reason, if the request is made within fourteen days of purchase, and the title has been played for less than two hours. There are more details below, but even if you fall outside of the refund rules we’ve described, you can ask for a refund anyway and we’ll take a look."

As you can see there it says things like will issue a refund for any reason. I am not trying to take advantage of the system of the probably 10 years I have been buying games on steam I have only returned 1 game. I bought 60 games or more.

Anyway this is unfair and steam is abusing its players. I want something done about it. I want my return.

The game is full of bugs and like already mentioned if it wasnt for how buggy it was it probably would not have been on for 4.9 hours. I gave it a shot and its horrible.
< >
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
J4MESOX4D Oct 19, 2020 @ 2:37am 
You are outside of the policy. The game is also an early access alpha so I'm not sure what you were expecting:steamfacepalm:
crunchyfrog Oct 19, 2020 @ 2:41am 
No you are misunderstanding the terms in the rule.

Automatic refunds are for the strict 2 hours/14 days rule. They WILL give you a refund for that.

After that they CAN give a refund as there are always edge cases and extenuating cirucmstances. But at this point, it is DISCRETIONARY and their decision is final.

They're not abusing anyone as any user either knows this or can freely and easily read that in the rules. Plus this is OVER AND ABOVE what your statutory rights in law allow in every part of the western world.

So sorry but you are completely wrong. It does NOT say it will refund for any reason. It says it will issue such a refund for any reason IF those criteria are met. You're quote mining.

Last edited by crunchyfrog; Oct 19, 2020 @ 2:42am
Crazy Tiger Oct 19, 2020 @ 2:41am 
Ofcourse they don't refund you. You are over the 2 hour period. You also bought an Early Access game, which are games that are still in development and often contain lots of bugs. The store page even displays that and warns you to ONLY purchase it if the current state is acceptable to you.

It's not unfair or abuse from Steams side when you did not read properly and did not research your purchase.
Nx Machina Oct 19, 2020 @ 4:09am 
Originally posted by Lichdom:
"It doesn't matter. Valve will, upon request via help.steampowered.com, issue a refund for any reason, if the request is made within fourteen days of purchase, and the title has been played for less than two hours. There are more details below, but even if you fall outside of the refund rules we’ve described, you can ask for a refund anyway and we’ll take a look."

Amazing how you are able to overlook:

" issue a refund for any reason IF the request is made WITHIN fourteen days of purchase, AND the title has been played for LESS than two hours".

IF > WITHIN > AND > LESS all neatly tied together, all applicable.

Whilst focusing on "any reason"

But more importantly Steam are not responsible for your lack of research when buying an Early Access title nor are they responsible for your buying decisions.

Finally:

Baldur's Gate EE played for 791.00 hours - reviewed - not recommended.

Baldur's Gate II EE played for 546.4 hours - reviewed - not recommended.
brian9824 Oct 19, 2020 @ 5:18am 
Originally posted by Lichdom:
So naturally I own all the other dnd games and I gave it a shot. Not only was the game totally buggy but it was horrible. I tried to play the game but the in game bugs lag, graphical errors, etc where just horrible. Nevermind it was not in the slightest what I would call a Baldurs Gate game compared to original.

Anyway I played for 4.9 hours. If not for how buggy the game was in the first place this would not have lasted more than 2 hours.

I told them I wanted a refund and they declinded citing the 2 hour rule.
yet the 2 hour rule is not the nail in the coffin even based on what they have to say for a return policy.

As you can see there it says things like will issue a refund for any reason. I am not trying to take advantage of the system of the probably 10 years I have been buying games on steam I have only returned 1 game. I bought 60 games or more.

Anyway this is unfair and steam is abusing its players. I want something done about it. I want my return.

The game is full of bugs and like already mentioned if it wasnt for how buggy it was it probably would not have been on for 4.9 hours. I gave it a shot and its horrible.

They said they will issue a refund for any reason IF its within the 2 hour window. So do explain how following the clearly stated refund rules you quoted is unfair?
Sephiroth Oct 19, 2020 @ 5:29am 
Originally posted by crunchyfrog:
No you are misunderstanding the terms in the rule.

Automatic refunds are for the strict 2 hours/14 days rule. They WILL give you a refund for that.

After that they CAN give a refund as there are always edge cases and extenuating cirucmstances. But at this point, it is DISCRETIONARY and their decision is final.

They're not abusing anyone as any user either knows this or can freely and easily read that in the rules. Plus this is OVER AND ABOVE what your statutory rights in law allow in every part of the western world.

So sorry but you are completely wrong. It does NOT say it will refund for any reason. It says it will issue such a refund for any reason IF those criteria are met. You're quote mining.
Yes they most certainly are ABUSING players.

2 hours is not enough time for a lot of games.
I SPECIFICALLY SAID that the errors and glitches in this game caused me to also take longer to see if it was going to be good or not.

1. You either read what I posted and choose to ignore the facts.
or
2. You didn't read it.
Spawn of Totoro Oct 19, 2020 @ 5:41am 
You are out side the refund policy. Valve has a right to refuse to refund.

The refund policy is not to demo games.

If you had that many errors and glitches form the start, then you should have refunded with in the two hours, not waited.

You can try a manual ticket by selecting "I have a question about this purchase" but keep in mind that any refund given at this point would be an exception to the rule.
< >
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Oct 19, 2020 @ 2:34am