Daniel S. Mar 11, 2016 @ 6:20am
McAfee blocks my steam download
Hi
Today when i booted up my pc i saw that mcafee had blocked an ip address from accessing my computer, appearently it originated from central U.S.A and while looking up the ip there was no info. But after that i noticed that when i try to download anything from my library (an update for dota 2 for example) it takes forever, as in the download speed is about 10kb/s. This should not be a problem since i am using my phone internet wich has around 100mb/s speed, and my house wifi wich also has 100mb/s

Someone help me on how to fix this?
< >
Showing 1-15 of 23 comments
АLLEN Mar 11, 2016 @ 6:20am 
пппп
76561198262067401 Mar 11, 2016 @ 6:22am 
You could create an exception for Steam, or temporarily disable McAfee when downloading, or uninstall McAfee and use a different antivirus/firewall.
Daniel S. Mar 11, 2016 @ 6:23am 
I checked my mcafee "internet connections for program tab" and everything that had "steam" in its name already had acces to every port
76561198262067401 Mar 11, 2016 @ 6:27am 
Have you tried changing your download region?
RheeL Mar 11, 2016 @ 6:27am 
:oo
Daniel S. Mar 11, 2016 @ 6:32am 
Originally posted by flawlessmelody:
Have you tried changing your download region?

yeah, didnt do anything. still stuck at 15kb/s

Originally posted by Royner Leal:
:oo

Originally posted by Denchik:
пппп

Wtf are comments like theese tho, it does not help in any way at all and i am confused as to why they even bother writing this
Tev Mar 11, 2016 @ 6:34am 
They're writing it due to a badge requirement that doesn't even exist anymore.

Forgive me for this bias comment, but if I were you, I'd get rid of McAfee. It's been notorious for causing issues on Steam in the past, and there's better free antiviruses than that like Avast, AVG and so on.
76561198262067401 Mar 11, 2016 @ 6:34am 
I would try disabling McAfee temporarily, starting a download, and seeing if the issue persists. If it does, then all I can suggest is switching to a different antivirus/firewall.
Daniel S. Mar 11, 2016 @ 6:37am 
Originally posted by Teutep:
They're writing it due to a badge requirement that doesn't even exist anymore.

Forgive me for this bias comment, but if I were you, I'd get rid of McAfee. It's been notorious for causing issues on Steam in the past, and there's better free antiviruses than that like Avast, AVG and so on.

I used to have Norton, altho that wasnt much better for dealing with steam...
I still have another 200 days left on my subscription for McAfee so it would just seem like a waste of money. But thanks for the advice

Originally posted by flawlessmelody:
I would try disabling McAfee temporarily, starting a download, and seeing if the issue persists. If it does, then all I can suggest is switching to a different antivirus/firewall.

Doesnt that render my pc vulnerable to attacks?
Tev Mar 11, 2016 @ 6:38am 
Unsure if this is valid with your McAfee version as it's not clear how up-to-date it is, but see this: http://smallbusiness.chron.com/add-exceptions-mcafee-69566.html

Consider putting Steam's folder in the real-time scan exceptions.
Daniel S. Mar 11, 2016 @ 6:41am 
Unsure if this is valid with your McAfee version as it's not clear how up-to-date it is, but see this: http://smallbusiness.chron.com/add-exceptions-mcafee-69566.html

I tried typing in virusscan console both in the run program and in the windows search bar. No results.

Im using windows 8 btw
wuddih Mar 11, 2016 @ 7:02am 
Originally posted by Danial .S:
Doesnt that render my pc vulnerable to attacks?
you are behind a nat/router? then your pc cannot be directly attacked by random garbage from the internet, you are the only security hole in your network that attackers can rely on a.k.a you downloading and executing stuff.

you could run without any virusprotection if you would just think before you are doing something.

this being said, mcafee is poop. windows defender is more then enough if you simply behave yourself while using the computer.

Originally posted by Danial .S:

I tried typing in virusscan console both in the run program and in the windows search bar. No results.

Im using windows 8 btw
probably because this explanation is for the enterprise version and your endconsumer version has no console. just open the normal mcafee thing where you could change some settings and simply look for something like the word "exclusion"
Last edited by wuddih; Mar 11, 2016 @ 7:03am
Daniel S. Mar 11, 2016 @ 7:58am 
Why is McAfee bad? I was told Norton 360 was bad and that i should instead use McAfee. What antivirus is the best then?
ReBoot Mar 11, 2016 @ 8:07am 
I personally prefer Windows Defender. While it can't replace the user being sceptical, neither can any paid AV. The defender has a bonus for not causing trouble with Steam.
Azza ☠ Mar 11, 2016 @ 8:17am 
Go to your McAfee Security Center, under that find "Internet & Network".

Click the "Firewall protection", then go to "Advanced".

Find your "Program Permissions" and firstly ensure "Steam" is fully allowed (grant full access), this might also include:
- x64launcher.exe
- steamservicetmp.exe
- steamerrorreporter.exe
- gameoverlayui.exe
- Steam Client Service
- Steam Client WebHelper
- Steam Client Bootstrapper

I believe McAfee doesn't allow you to determine exactly which ports the program uses, however if it does...

Required Ports for Steam:
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8571-GLVN-8711

If you require testing to ensure those ports aren't blocked, use Open Port Check or similar:
http://portforward.com/help/portcheck.htm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 23 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Mar 11, 2016 @ 6:20am