This topic has been locked
What is the difference between co-op local-co-op and online-co-op?
I know online co-op you are needed to be online. Like join your friend who live outside of your own country.
But what of co-op and local co-op?
< >
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
Mikasa Ackerman Apr 25, 2018 @ 12:49am 
maybe co op can be both online and local while the other two tags are either one or the other
Gus the Crocodile Apr 25, 2018 @ 12:55am 
^Yeah.

Co-op = this game has some kind of cooperative play

Local co-op = this game allows multiple people to cooperate, playing on the same computer

Online co-op = this game allows multiple people to cooperate, on separate computers via the internet
Hi Johnny,

Co-op is any game where two or more human players team up for a common goal.

Online co-op requires each player to have an internet connection, a separate computer, and a separate copy of the game. These include games like "Zombie Army Trilogy", "Left 4 Dead 1 and 2" and "Castle Crashers".

Local co-op, which is far more common on consoles, is rarer on PCs. Here both/ all players need to be in the same location, play with the same computer and screen (although of course a separate controller is required for each). The Lego games frequently have local co-op. One of the Magic games also has a two headed giant version where you and a friend can play against the AI or other opponents online.

S.x.

Originally posted by Erza Scarlet Titania:
maybe co op can be both online and local while the other two tags are either one or the other
I did think of that, till I tried to figure it out in Steam just to realize it is almost impossible just maybe for me to try to even to figure it out.
Originally posted by Gus the Crocodile:
^Online co-op = this game allows multiple people to cooperate, on separate computers via the internet
I get this part

Originally posted by Gus the Crocodile:
^Yeah.

Co-op = this game has some kind of cooperative play

Local co-op = this game allows multiple people to cooperate, playing on the same computer
But this I don't get.
co-op and local co-op as in both of them on 1 computer?
Originally posted by gallifrey:
Hi Johnny,
Co-op is any game where two or more human players team up for a common goal.
I think i get this part.

Local co-op, which is far more common on consoles, is rarer on PCs. Here both/ all players need to be in the same location, play with the same computer and screen (although of course a separate controller is required for each). The Lego games frequently have local co-op. One of the Magic games also has a two headed giant version where you and a friend can play against the AI or other opponents online.
So local co-op is like 1 game 1 platform(pc/console) 1 screen? is that right?

Online co-op requires each player to have an internet connection, a separate computer, and a separate copy of the game. These include games like "Zombie Army Trilogy", "Left 4 Dead 1 and 2" and "Castle Crashers".
But "Zombie Army Trilogy", "Left 4 Dead 1 and 2" store page only has (co-op) tag
while "Castle Crashers" has like (co-op) (online co-op) and (Local co-op)

Black Blade Apr 25, 2018 @ 4:51am 
Overall developers set the tags, and overall it seems like the developers them self-are not on agreement on the meaning of each category

Local Co-op at time can mean that you can play over LAN, and at times on the same PC

And seen more things like that, in the end it all depends on how the developer taken the words
sfnhltb Apr 25, 2018 @ 5:39am 
Co-op means there is at least one game mode available where two or more players work together towards some goal.

Online co-op means the above is possible for people when they aren't located in the same place but both can connect to each other or a host server over the internet.

Local co-op means that you can play co-op when located in the same place, usually meaning on a single computer with each player having their own controller typically. It could mean co-op over a LAN (one computer per person, but all in the same place), but most online co-op games support this as well, unless they require 1st party servers as the only option of where you can play, rather than letting people host their own games on their own servers.

A game only tagged co-op could mean either only one of two us available, or both are possible, you will need to look in more detail what is mean in each case.
Originally posted by Black Blade:
Overall developers set the tags, and overall it seems like the developers them self-are not on agreement on the meaning of each category

Local Co-op at time can mean that you can play over LAN, and at times on the same PC

And seen more things like that, in the end it all depends on how the developer taken the words
I can understand that
Originally posted by sfnhltb:
Co-op means there is at least one game mode available where two or more players work together towards some goal.

Online co-op means the above is possible for people when they aren't located in the same place but both can connect to each other or a host server over the internet.

Local co-op means that you can play co-op when located in the same place, usually meaning on a single computer with each player having their own controller typically. It could mean co-op over a LAN (one computer per person, but all in the same place), but most online co-op games support this as well, unless they require 1st party servers as the only option of where you can play, rather than letting people host their own games on their own servers.
Thank you for explaining that.

Originally posted by sfnhltb:
A game only tagged co-op could mean either only one of two us available, or both are possible, you will need to look in more detail what is mean in each case.
But please explain me this.
Why are there games that has all 3 tags? (co-op) (Local-co-op) and (Online-co-op)
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Arma 3
Brawlhalla
Castle Crashers®
Snapjak Apr 25, 2018 @ 7:14pm 
Ask the developers, not randos on the internet.
Gallem May 5, 2020 @ 1:52pm 
Originally posted by Wikipedia:
* Couch co-op & online co-op modes
Cooperative games designed to be played by multiple players on the same display screen have come to be known as "couch co-op", "local co-op" or "single-player co-op" games. Cooperative games in which players each use their own display system are known as "online co-op", "network co-op" or "multiplayer co-op" games due to the majority of such systems utilizing telecommunications networks to synchronize game state among the players. Games have also been brought to market in which both modes can be combined—accommodating more than one display with each display accommodating one or more players.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooperative_gameplay#Couch_co-op_&_online_co-op_modes
< >
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Apr 25, 2018 @ 12:23am