Any Alternative Lightweight Steam Client?
This "new" steam is just unbearable.

I've found Mist and Punk alternative clients but sadly they're dead projects

https://github.com/waylaidwanderer/Mist
https://github.com/scholtzm/punk

Do you guys have any light steam client alternative besides using no-browser command line?
< >
Showing 1-14 of 14 comments
FMP Oct 10, 2021 @ 2:43am 
Small mode is the best we have but even that doesn't have the functionality it did.
Nx Machina Oct 10, 2021 @ 8:01am 
The "new" Steam client launched on 19 Oct 2019.
Not_Gumballer91 Oct 10, 2021 @ 9:20am 
Originally posted by Nx Machina:
The "new" Steam client launched on 19 Oct 2019.
What do you mean?
crunchyfrog Oct 10, 2021 @ 9:34am 
There is a kind of answer, which is a great idea if you use other services too, like Origin, GOG< Ubisoft, Epic and more - PLAYNITE.

It's a neat little simple UI that's easy to read and simplistic and you can simply bung all your services details in there and access all the games from that one frontend.
Nx Machina Oct 10, 2021 @ 9:42am 
Originally posted by Not_Gumballer91:
What do you mean?

On 19 Oct 2021 it will start it's 3rd year so it is definitely not new.
Start_Running Oct 10, 2021 @ 10:10am 
This is OD since the Steam client is plent light. Deopending on how you choose to use it. Overlays, Friends, Store pages, COmmunity.. all of that can be disabled via smallmode.and other settings.

Spawn of Totoro Oct 10, 2021 @ 10:30am 
Originally posted by crunchyfrog:
There is a kind of answer, which is a great idea if you use other services too, like Origin, GOG< Ubisoft, Epic and more - PLAYNITE.

It's a neat little simple UI that's easy to read and simplistic and you can simply bung all your services details in there and access all the games from that one frontend.

Though, keep in mind, the other clients may need to still be installed as they are ran when you launch the game.

Some may prefer the UI, but if system resources are an issue, then you are basically running two different clients at one time, for the same game.... possibly three if it is a game that require Uplay/Ubisoft Connect. (Eg: Playnite > Steam > Uplay > Game)

So it does have it's down sides.
Last edited by Spawn of Totoro; Oct 10, 2021 @ 10:30am
crunchyfrog Oct 10, 2021 @ 10:34am 
Originally posted by Spawn of Totoro:

Though, keep in mind, the other clients may need to still be installed as they are ran when you launch the game.

Some may prefer the UI, but if system resources are an issue, then you are basically running two different clients at one time, for the same game.... possibly three if it is a game that require Uplay/Ubisoft Connect. (Eg: Playnite > Steam > Uplay > Game)

A very fair point. I wasn;t thinking of that.
Start_Running Oct 10, 2021 @ 11:33am 

I wonder how many clients you could stack like That. Use Steam to Launch, Origin, TO Launch FO 76

Not_Gumballer91 Oct 11, 2021 @ 12:24am 

Primarily, UI is not the concern. Rather the system resource. It's a decent answer but not in my case. As Spawn of Totoro said:

I guess I really have no option but to use small-mode with no-browser. But I really hope it doesn't get removed entirely just like the download interface being unusable on no-browser.
Last edited by Not_Gumballer91; Oct 11, 2021 @ 12:24am
Mad Scientist Oct 11, 2021 @ 12:47am 
Primarily, UI is not the concern. Rather the system resource.
So what exactly is the issue, then? The Steam client hardly uses any resources, and you'd still need steam for steam games.

Keep in mind the illegitimate software you're running and getting caught with numerous times likely consumes more resources than steam itself.
crunchyfrog Oct 11, 2021 @ 6:40pm 
Originally posted by Start_Running:

I wonder how many clients you could stack like That. Use Steam to Launch, Origin, TO Launch FO 76
Oho - I see that as a challenge!
crunchyfrog Oct 11, 2021 @ 6:41pm 

Primarily, UI is not the concern. Rather the system resource. It's a decent answer but not in my case. As Spawn of Totoro said:

I guess I really have no option but to use small-mode with no-browser. But I really hope it doesn't get removed entirely just like the download interface being unusable on no-browser.
Well then, I don't know what your point is then because steam does run pretty lightly. If it isn't then you have some sort of problem with your system.

PLaynite I only suggested because it's lighter in LOOK, but it doesn't make things faster or less memory intensive.
Wizardhermit Oct 11, 2021 @ 6:49pm 
System resource seriously? What system are you running on? A windows 95 PC?
Last edited by Wizardhermit; Oct 11, 2021 @ 6:50pm
< >
Showing 1-14 of 14 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Oct 10, 2021 @ 2:30am