Resident Evil

Resident Evil

View Stats:
masterotaku Sep 4, 2016 @ 2:57pm
RE1 real time graphics mod (hotkeys for noise filter, color filter, etc)
If you thought crushed blacks in backgrounds were impossible to fix, you were wrong. This mod, made thanks to the Helixmod dll, allowed me to dump and modify shaders responsible for effects that deserve to be in an options menu (for RE0, go here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/339340/discussions/0/343785574521847386/ ).

Download link: https://s3.amazonaws.com/masterotaku/Resident+Evil+1/REmake_settings_mod.zip

Unzip the contents of that file in the root folder of the game, "Resident Evil Biohazard HD REMASTER".

If you use the fps fix mod, which is also a "d3d9.dll", rename it to something else and uncomment the

ProxyLib = "I:\Steam\steamapps\common\Resident Evil Biohazard HD REMASTER\fpsfix.dll"

line in "DX9Settings.ini", writing the correct path to the renamed dll.

Hotkeys (by default all effects are untouched):

- F1: noise filter toggle.
- F2: black crush / color filter toggle.
- F3: fog toggle. You should toggle back to the default setting for ingame cutscenes, or else there will be a broken depth of field effect.
- F4: bloom toggle (effect not present in many places). It also disables the map and menu graphics, so if you want to try it, make sure it's only when you're controlling your character.

There is a "profiles" folder I made with two different "DX9Settings.ini". One of them is the default one, and the other has the noise filter, color filter and fog disabled by default.

In RE1, background textures have noise themselves, due to the scaling process Capcom made.

Some of the effects are made to compensate each other's brightness and contrast, so sometimes disabling just one effect won't be a good idea. I recommend disabling noise, color and fog in general, and only enable fog when needed.

With those F1 to F3 effects disabled, the character lighting sometimes doesn't seem to blend with the background as perfectly as before. But seeing all the backgrounds detail is worth it.


Example screenshots:

Default: http://u.cubeupload.com/masterotaku/bhd20160903215420319.png
No noise, no color, no fog: http://u.cubeupload.com/masterotaku/bhd20160903215417293.png

There are probably better examples than this one, but look at the right wall and the stairs.
Last edited by masterotaku; Sep 4, 2016 @ 3:01pm
< >
Showing 1-14 of 14 comments
b2007929 May 1, 2017 @ 1:40pm 
Please create a Steam guide!
Red May 6, 2017 @ 9:22am 
how exactly do i "uncomment" that line, i'm noob about it. What exactly do i need to edit? It's screwing up the resolutionfix

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=920310341
Last edited by Red; May 6, 2017 @ 9:42am
b2007929 May 6, 2017 @ 10:17am 
Originally posted by RED:
how exactly do i "uncomment" that line, i'm noob about it. What exactly do i need to edit? It's screwing up the resolutionfix
Add to the start of a line:
;
Last edited by b2007929; May 6, 2017 @ 10:18am
Red May 6, 2017 @ 10:30am 
Originally posted by b2007929:
Originally posted by RED:
how exactly do i "uncomment" that line, i'm noob about it. What exactly do i need to edit? It's screwing up the resolutionfix
Add to the start of a line:
;

its already there
masterotaku May 6, 2017 @ 11:09am 
Resolutionfix... Is this the mod you are using, to reduce the internal resolution?: https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/607-resident-evil-hd-remaster-slowdown-fix/

I haven't tried that mod. It uses a "d3d9.dll", so you need to rename the dll of that mod to something else, open "DX9Settings.ini" and delete the ";" that goes before "ProxyLib", and make sure you put the correct path to your renamed dll.

I don't have the game installed right now so I can't check the compatibility with that mod. I have only tested the fps fix (https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/606-resident-evil-hd-remaster-fps-fix/) and the door mod and they work.

Is the game that demanding for you that you need to reduce the resolution? Are you using a laptop?
Last edited by masterotaku; May 6, 2017 @ 11:09am
Red May 7, 2017 @ 4:28am 
Originally posted by masterotaku:
Resolutionfix... Is this the mod you are using, to reduce the internal resolution?: https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/607-resident-evil-hd-remaster-slowdown-fix/

I haven't tried that mod. It uses a "d3d9.dll", so you need to rename the dll of that mod to something else, open "DX9Settings.ini" and delete the ";" that goes before "ProxyLib", and make sure you put the correct path to your renamed dll.

I don't have the game installed right now so I can't check the compatibility with that mod. I have only tested the fps fix (https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file/606-resident-evil-hd-remaster-fps-fix/) and the door mod and they work.

Is the game that demanding for you that you need to reduce the resolution? Are you using a laptop?

Ok. The path in the file is written "I:\Steam\steamapps\common\Resident Evil Biohazard HD REMASTER\d3d98.dll"

should i edit as "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Resident Evil Biohazard HD REMASTER\d3d98.dll"

???


As for the resolution fix, no the game is not demanding. I have a desktop gtx 950, and it ran fine 2 years ago on my AMD 6850 as well. I use it because the backgrounds look less pixelated when i lower the internal resolution with the resolution "fix". The pixelated backgrounds are a big annoyance to me in this "Remaster", i even put my monitor sharpness to "0" in order to hide some of the awful pixelation of the 2D backgrounds.
Last edited by Red; May 7, 2017 @ 4:29am
masterotaku May 7, 2017 @ 5:19am 
Originally posted by RED:
should i edit as "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Resident Evil Biohazard HD REMASTER\d3d98.dll"

???

Yes.

Originally posted by RED:
As for the resolution fix, no the game is not demanding.

If you can't get it working with that mod after doing what I said before, try the game without it, to check if my mod works.
Red May 7, 2017 @ 5:52am 
Originally posted by masterotaku:
Originally posted by RED:
should i edit as "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Resident Evil Biohazard HD REMASTER\d3d98.dll"

???

Yes.

Originally posted by RED:
As for the resolution fix, no the game is not demanding.

If you can't get it working with that mod after doing what I said before, try the game without it, to check if my mod works.

ok. thanks
Diego Sakazaki May 9, 2017 @ 4:41pm 
HOLY JESUS BARRY, Works like a charm!
Thats is why i love PC gaming community. Thanks for that man! o/
Last edited by Diego Sakazaki; May 9, 2017 @ 4:41pm
Archanioł Jul 17, 2017 @ 12:43pm 
This thread should be pinned. Thanks. You fixed the game.
SkyFall Jul 22, 2018 @ 8:02am 
Originally posted by N Aguento + Morrê:
Originally posted by b2007929:
Add to the start of a line:
;

its already there

Remove it then
Kayael Dec 8, 2019 @ 3:49am 
Thank you so much for this mod, the black crush was unbearable in the remaster and you fix gets rid of it so it looks much clearer and pretty much like the Gamecube version.
Originally posted by masterotaku:
If you thought crushed blacks in backgrounds were impossible to fix, you were wrong. This mod, made thanks to the Helixmod dll, allowed me to dump and modify shaders responsible for effects that deserve to be in an options menu (for RE0, go here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/339340/discussions/0/343785574521847386/ ).

Download link: https://s3.amazonaws.com/masterotaku/Resident+Evil+1/REmake_settings_mod.zip

Unzip the contents of that file in the root folder of the game, "Resident Evil Biohazard HD REMASTER".

If you use the fps fix mod, which is also a "d3d9.dll", rename it to something else and uncomment the

ProxyLib = "I:\Steam\steamapps\common\Resident Evil Biohazard HD REMASTER\fpsfix.dll"

line in "DX9Settings.ini", writing the correct path to the renamed dll.

Hotkeys (by default all effects are untouched):

- F1: noise filter toggle.
- F2: black crush / color filter toggle.
- F3: fog toggle. You should toggle back to the default setting for ingame cutscenes, or else there will be a broken depth of field effect.
- F4: bloom toggle (effect not present in many places). It also disables the map and menu graphics, so if you want to try it, make sure it's only when you're controlling your character.

There is a "profiles" folder I made with two different "DX9Settings.ini". One of them is the default one, and the other has the noise filter, color filter and fog disabled by default.

In RE1, background textures have noise themselves, due to the scaling process Capcom made.

Some of the effects are made to compensate each other's brightness and contrast, so sometimes disabling just one effect won't be a good idea. I recommend disabling noise, color and fog in general, and only enable fog when needed.

With those F1 to F3 effects disabled, the character lighting sometimes doesn't seem to blend with the background as perfectly as before. But seeing all the backgrounds detail is worth it.


Example screenshots:

Default: http://u.cubeupload.com/masterotaku/bhd20160903215420319.png
No noise, no color, no fog: http://u.cubeupload.com/masterotaku/bhd20160903215417293.png

There are probably better examples than this one, but look at the right wall and the stairs.


Hey man. There is a video on youtube of a guy who uses this mod combined with Reshade. I'm wondering if you ever installed this WITH reshade?
Originally posted by JohnnyGamer:
Hey man. There is a video on youtube of a guy who uses this mod combined with Reshade. I'm wondering if you ever installed this WITH reshade?
I didn't try that yet. I only tried my mod alongside the fps fix that I mention in the OP.
I still haven't finished the RE 1 and 0 games. I should do it someday soon, and I could try ReShade that day.
< >
Showing 1-14 of 14 comments
Per page: 15 30 50

Date Posted: Sep 4, 2016 @ 2:57pm
Posts: 14