Today, we are excited to announce the Alpha release of the Dota 2 Workshop Tools. This is the first release of a new set of tools to create, play, and share custom maps and game modes for Dota 2. This is a developer focused release and currently has high system requirements, but soon everyone will be able to play. While this is still an early release with some instability, we believe it is important to give the community access to these tools as soon as possible. Using your feedback we will make frequent updates, improvements, and expansions to the tool suite.
Some of the features in this release include major changes to how content is created, delivered, and experienced for Dota 2:
- Completely New Tools - The new suite of tools support creating and importing content for custom games. This set of tools requires a 64-bit version of Windows, Direct3D 11 compatible GPU, and opting into the Steam Client Beta.
- Steam Workshop Submissions - This early version includes the ability to upload and distribute custom game modes through the Workshop. This new automated process allows players to subscribe to an author's custom game mode to automatically keep current as updates are released by the author.
- Testing Custom Game Modes - This alpha release is focused on getting the tools to developers first. Currently playing custom games requires a 64-bit version of Windows and a Direct3D 11 compatible GPU. In upcoming future releases we will extend support to more systems (including 32-bit and Direct3D 9) and make it easier for players to download, find matches for, and play user created game modes.
These tools are for you and we're looking forward to seeing where the community takes us in developing content for the expanding Dota universe. Help us make Dota 2 even bigger and better. Leave us feedback with your experience and suggestions on the Workshop Discussions.
Installing and Launching Tools
The Dota 2 Workshop Tools are an optional free download in addition to Dota 2 and must be installed to create or play custom game mode addons.Note:
The installation download is approximately 6GB in size and may take some time depending on available bandwidth.
- In your Steam Settings under Account you must opt into Steam Beta Update participation.
- Right-click on Dota 2 in Steam and select View Downloadable Content.
- Check the box in the Install column next to Dota 2 Workshop Tools DLC.
- Click Close. The required content will begin downloading.
- In Steam, go to the Library menu and click on Tools and install the Dota 2 Workshop Tools Alpha.
- Once the download is complete, the launcher is found in Steam under the Library menu under the Tools category. Double-click Dota 2 Workshop Tools to start.
Documentation for the Dota 2 Workshop Tools can be found on the Valve Developer Community page
. Please note
: The developer site is experiencing heavy load and may be unavailable at times.