Ce sujet a été verrouillé
SteamOS worthy to replace Windows?
Not much if known about the new Steam OS yet, but I sincerely hope it can replace Windows for me.

Gaming for Steam, yea that's pretty much set to run all fine. But other Windows programs? For example will Origin (from EA) work? I barely use it, but I have to use it if I want to play Mass Effect 3, so that's pretty important. Other things like internet browser are probably set too (the browser in "Big Picture" mode is terrible, so I hope they have something else or that Firefox/Chrome will run on SteamOS).

More importantly other programs I run, like Photoshop, Sony Vegas, VLC Player, World of Warcraft (battle.net client), Virus Scanners, Audacity, Fraps, etc. DRIVERS even more important. Will everything be able to work on SteamOS? I saw it's based on Linux, but I've tried Ubuntu before and even though I liked it a lot it was just not viable for me due to 1) most games not running optimal, even with "Wine", 2) all the command lines to install/update stuff was getting pretty tiresome. So yea I loved Ubuntu but I just couldn't use it with most programs not running on it.

How is SteamOS going to be? Is it just going to be "another Ubuntu" in a 'Steam overlay'? Or is it going to be a way more proper "Gaming OS" - that will run a lot more things?

Thoughts?
Dernière modification de Muu; 27 sept. 2013 à 4h50
< >
Affichage des commentaires 1 à 8 sur 8
It was never supposed to replace Windows.

It is supposed to replace livingroom-gaming for and with HTPCs.
Dernière modification de Vitdom; 27 sept. 2013 à 5h07
Vitdom a écrit :

Well, in a way it IS. Gabe is a big fan of Linux and SteamOS is effectvely Linux with a pretty face and is hopefully one step closer to taking gaming away from the exclusivity of Windows and bring Linux into the picture.

Valve have already converted their library over to linux and are bringing more and more games in all the time. This is one more step for them to try and get more people over to linux from windows.

Having a 'steam box' or a pc with steamos installed on it in the front room, would play linux games. Any windows games you would need to run on a windows pc and strem them over the LAN to that box via Steam. Until other companies get their systems into Linux (Origin, uPlay, etc) they wouldn't work, although they MAY stream via a "non-steam game" from the windows pc.
Dernière modification de  KARR™; 27 sept. 2013 à 5h25
Muu 27 sept. 2013 à 5h27 
Vitdom a écrit :

It is supposed to replace livingroom-gaming for and with HTPCs.
Big Picture in Steam already does this. I agree with KARR, it IS meant to replace it, considering all what Gabe said about Windows 8 (and honestly it IS terrible). It's about time people get more choice at an OS .. instead of being forced to use Windows.
How is an OS that has been designed with gaming in mind going to replace the traditional desktop?
I can't see people using thumbsticks to create an excel document, with that being said, its safe to assume the UI will look pretty similar to that of what's currently in use.
The only way I can see Linux denting Ms's market share is if people adopt different distros and use the Linux client on that.
Muu 27 sept. 2013 à 5h50 
jambutty77 a écrit :
How is an OS that has been designed with gaming in mind going to replace the traditional desktop?
I can't see people using thumbsticks to create an excel document, with that being said, its safe to assume the UI will look pretty similar to that of what's currently in use.
The only way I can see Linux denting Ms's market share is if people adopt different distros and use the Linux client on that.
Linux can run a lot (most) programs fine, not everything though. Considering I and alot of people do mostly gaming on their PCs, it's pretty obvious that a gaming OS would be perfect. As I said it has to support certain programs, obviously, but if it does there is no reason for me to use Windows at all.

And I believe a lot of people think the same. Can't vouche for everyone but SteamOS could be set to replace Windows for the most of us.
Dernière modification de Muu; 27 sept. 2013 à 5h50
good idea
Drhank a écrit :
jambutty77 a écrit :
Linux can run a lot (most) programs fine, not everything though. Considering I and alot of people do mostly gaming on their PCs, it's pretty obvious that a gaming OS would be perfect. As I said it has to support certain programs, obviously, but if it does there is no reason for me to use Windows at all.

And I believe a lot of people think the same. Can't vouche for everyone but SteamOS could be set to replace Windows for the most of us.

I've used Linux plenty enough in the past and yes its very good in a production environment I only really use it now for security reasons (grown sick of hacking and messing with wine).
I've no doubt that adoption rate would increase if it was going to contain programes that your average Joe would be familiar with.
But with media and gaming in mind I can't see it really replacing a production desktop. I'll personally use it as a way of playing PC games on my TV with the LAN streaming functionality but steamOS to create documents blah blah blah I'll stick with something that doesn't require 16 clicks to get the job done a la Win 8.
I really like the concept, but is it too ahead of its time?
< >
Affichage des commentaires 1 à 8 sur 8
Par page : 1530 50

Posté le 27 sept. 2013 à 4h49