Age of Wonders III

Age of Wonders III

Archon & Tiefling Races Mod
Eomolch  [developer] Apr 3, 2017 @ 3:23pm
Balancing Discussion
Feel like one of the new units is overpowered? Or that the little extra one of the racial class units gets is just too much? Well, you can tell me here!
Last edited by Eomolch; Apr 3, 2017 @ 4:09pm
< >
Showing 1-3 of 3 comments
Hanz_Gruber Apr 5, 2017 @ 11:42am 
Hey there! Been trying out this mod alittle and i came across a few things that either seem screwy or need to be tweaked.
First is the Archon Acolyte, it's Psychic Touch either needs to do about 1/2 its current damage or it needs to be able to be retaliated. His elite bonus of Phase also seems to be alittle too strong for mobilities sake considering he is a T1. I would suggest it be changed to something akin to Shadow Step. It would keep the same feel but tone it down alittle.
Second is the Archon Avenger. He's downright busted if you start with him and his ranged Holy Fire is doing too much damage from zero exp. I dont know if the values are too high or if the types of damage its doing are just really potent but that needs to be looked at.
Third is a minor one involving the Archon Apprentice. It's Expert level bonus is granting plus 1 Frost Damage when it doesnt do that type.
Overall, I've been enjoying this race mod quite a bit and even running it with mods that dont support it, it is still playable and seemingly viable. I'll update some more when i do some more testing. I may even stream some more testing of it. And if you feel the inclination to drop by and want to hash out some more bugs/tweaks my channel is www.twitch.tv/Hanz_Gruber. I hope to see you there!
Eomolch  [developer] Apr 5, 2017 @ 2:42pm 
Hi Hanz_Gruber! First of all thank you for the feedback! Now let's see if we can discuss this :)

1) About the psychic touch ability, it has 14 spirit damage. Compare that to the 12 shock damage of the initiate which can inflict that damage from a distance, can get flanking bonus damage and will also get to 14 damage with medals and the ability suddenly doesn't seem so unfair. Considering there is the spirit breaking resist one might consider going down to 13 damage but anything further in that direction would imho be too much. Or maybe lower the resistance check strength.

2) Phase for Acolytes at elite: This is something I'll have to think about since I also felt like phase on a tier 1 could be too much. Shadow step doesn't fit thematically and making a copy with a different name doesn't seem like a good idea to me. On the other hand phase on a t1 is less strong than it sounds. Especially when it requires the unit to reach elite level. Since the acolyte is without a ranegd attack and unlike the cheetah very slow I feel like the phase on elite can be the only that will keep you from throwing away your acolytes once you reach midgame.

3) Avenger ranged damage: It suprises me to hear this, since the damage is comparable to the apprentice or the orc priest (3/3/3 base, just 3/4/3 because of spirit ranged racial bonus for archson). It is true that spirit/fire/shock is a very potent combination since those are the least resisted damage channel. But on a tier III I think it should be fine. If the Avenger generally might be too strong now is a different question ... This will require more testing, data and maybe opinions!

edit: almost forgot to thank you for mentioning the wrong archon apprentice upgrade. is now fixed!
Last edited by Eomolch; Apr 5, 2017 @ 2:51pm
R.Windu Apr 6, 2017 @ 3:10am 
The Warlord class's Global Assault research turns every unit the warlord has into elite which means by researching this an archon warlords Acolytes will all have the phase ability.

Just thought I would mention this detail,
< >
Showing 1-3 of 3 comments
Per page: 1530 50