Total War: WARHAMMER

Total War: WARHAMMER

Faction Unlocker Submod - Mixed Factions
 This topic has been pinned, so it's probably important
Crynsos  [developer] Feb 25, 2017 @ 12:51am
Want to customize the available Factions? Here's how to!
All of my Overhaul / Unlocker mods contain the same core data, just with one main difference - the table that lists the available Single Player factions, which you can edit yourself quite easily.

First off, grab the latest version of PFM[www.twcenter.net] (Pack File Manager) and then go to File >> New.
Right click the "Untitled.pack" in the left side tree and go to Add >> From Pack and pick whichever of my mods you have, they should be usually called "crynsos_campaign_overhaul.pack", "xxx_faction_unlocker.pack" or in the case of my Dwarf Faction Unlocker "kraka_drak.pack" in Steam/steamapps/common/Total Warhammer/data

You will be presented with a long list of table folders, so import the only one present in "factions_tables" by double clicking on it and also "data__core" from "frontend_faction_groups_to_factions_tables", then press OK.

The Factions table is purely so you have an easy list of which factions are available to pick from, delete it from your new submod after you are done with editing. Some factions may not be so obvious to identify by their key, so you also have the actual faction names available there.

Now look at the data__core you edited (make sure to change the name of that file to something else) and you will see four columns. Just enter something into the empty row at the bottom to create a new entry.
⚫ The first column is which category the faction is part of (used for a future faction selection UI, currently unused) and enter either "order" or "destruction" depending on what faction you are adding.
⚫ The second will be the faction key from the other table, make sure not to have typos there.
⚫ The third just specifies if the faction is a "major" faction, the only effect of which is to display it in the "Playable Factions" list when selecting campaigns, so you can ignore it.
⚫ The fourth column is the order in which your faction will appear on the selection. I have all races split in categories like 100 - 199 for Empire, 200 - 299 for Dwarfs and so on but you can enter whatever number you want.

Enter all of the extra factions you want to add, delete the factions_table after you are done and save the resulting .pack file in the same data folder.

This method can be only used to add factions to the existing mods. If you want to remove factions from the list and make it entirely custom, you will have to edit that same table file (but leave it as data__core) in my mod directly, but be aware that this means that the mod will not auto-update anymore, so you will have to move, rename or delete the entire mod file and re-apply these changes now and then to get my updates.

Name it to something like @custom_factions.pack and then start up your launcher, enable outdated mods (ignore the compatibility warning) and you will find it among your first few mods. Run it together with any of my Overhaul / Unlocker mods and you will have successfully created your own Single Player faction selection!
Last edited by Crynsos; Feb 25, 2017 @ 3:03am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 35 comments
Icarus Feb 25, 2017 @ 2:04am 
Nice guide: but I have a few questions:

1. Is there a limit to the amount of factions you can have? (I don't need that many more, but i want to know if theres like a safe number to stop at)

2. Beyond spelling if im crashing what else should i be looking for, I added the 3 free human factions (bp,estalia,tilea) and it seems to have just made it crash
Last edited by Icarus; Mar 4, 2017 @ 2:03am
Crynsos  [developer] Feb 25, 2017 @ 3:06am 
Seems the game doesn't like it when two data__cores try to overwrite one another. I modified the description, now it should work, although removing factions from the list is more complex.
Rachel L Feb 25, 2017 @ 3:24pm 
I am confused, i added both the factions of the vanilla faction and the overhaul unlocker and when i went to the new campaing it frooze and then crashed. On the pfm file there are 33 lines of factions.
Crynsos  [developer] Feb 25, 2017 @ 3:30pm 
Works for me. Make sure you renamed the data__core to something entirely different, don't have typos and rather don't have double entries.
Icarus Feb 25, 2017 @ 3:34pm 
Follow up question: Is it possible to change LL availability via this?
Crynsos  [developer] Feb 25, 2017 @ 3:40pm 
Nope, that is handled within the startpos.
Rachel L Feb 25, 2017 @ 3:42pm 
Data_core is now custom_core. No typos since i directly copy and pasted from the overhauled unlocker and no double entries. Should i run with wich unlocker at the same time, vanilla?
Rachel L Feb 25, 2017 @ 4:27pm 
@Crynsos, want me to send you my .pack for you to see if there is something wrong?
Crynsos  [developer] Feb 26, 2017 @ 1:27am 
Just make a new pack, import the full data__core from one of the two mods, rename it to something else, save it and start up the other mod, that worked just fine for me.
Rachel L Feb 26, 2017 @ 5:41am 
Worked. Finally!
YinYangTW Feb 26, 2017 @ 8:13am 
I appreciate this
Rachel L Mar 4, 2017 @ 12:33pm 
How do i make the "mod" updated so i dont have to check the enable outdated mods?
Crynsos  [developer] Mar 4, 2017 @ 3:34pm 
That can be only done by uploading it to the workshop, so just ignore that and always keep outdated mods enabled, there isn't any harm in that.
Rachel L Mar 5, 2017 @ 5:23pm 
@Crynsos, what i should to do make the RoR mod avaible to the unlocked factions using the way you teach here?
Crynsos  [developer] Mar 6, 2017 @ 2:06am 
Just use the unit_to_exclusive_faction_permissions table from my compatibility mod.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 35 comments
Per page: 1530 50