RimWorld

RimWorld

RimMagic (1.0-1.5) -- now with Ascendant Vampires, Resurrection and Healing!
Anubis Jan 26, 2017 @ 1:02pm
Some ideas/suggestions
So after playing with it a bit, I have a few suggestions.

Vampirism should probably work in stages, with the vampire getting stronger as he drinks more blood (with the downside that it would require a steadier supply of it) and weaker if he tries to avoid addiction, while still stronger than a human (This is basically how "The Elder Scrolls" series made Vampires work, I believe it would also work very well for Rimworld).

I'd say most of the stats need some adjusting right now, I know, players should make their own balance, however, significantly self limiting access on equipment is not all that good of a workaround.

For most stats I'd say they shouldn't be increased by more than 200%, metabolism could be higher as there is no real reason for vampires to need as much sleep (high metabolism is actually pretty amazing by itself once light level becomes the deciding factor for paralysis).

The main problem on stats however (apart from the exaggerated movement speed and manipulation) is the "hearing" stat, because of what it does ingame, hearing shouldn't really be higher than 100% ever (and that's already kinda high) because all it really does is affect trade prices and the current levels causes everything to cost around 10$.

(I did nerf them myself on my end, just suggestions for a slightly better balance)

Also, "talking" appears twice on the effects of vampirism, with an offset of 4.8 and another of 3.5, not sure if intended.

Going with your philosophy, these changes don't do all that much for the mod on it's current state, however, once vampire factions and/or vampire hunter factions exist it becomes more of a problem as balance would be more important to keep a fun and challenging experience.

Again, I fully understand your philosophy, and if my suggestions are away from what you want for the future of the mod there is no issue disregarding them, I just really like the idea and would love to see this grow even more.

Cheers mate, and good luck on whatever it is you decide to do, I love your work.

PS: It is probably a good idea to make "hearts" stackable since the mod uses so many of them, I know they are hard to come by and you'll never really have a lot, but it is still kinda silly to see colonists moving around like crazy to pick them up one by one and spread them miles away from the workbench they'll use them on (this is sorta unnecessary but meh... Quality of life stuff).
< >
Showing 1-13 of 13 comments
Anubis Jan 26, 2017 @ 6:59pm 
An interesting thing to do with Sun Paralysis after it is working is to have it work in a few stages that progress quickly if the vampire is exposed to the sun and take a long time to heal afterwards, with later levels taking whole seasons to get healed similarly to how the toxic fallout currently works but in relation to exposure to bright light.

In early levels it wouldn't affect the filtration stat so heavily and thus healing faster, later levels could greatly affect the blood filtration and pumping stats taking a longer times to heal, which alongside another disease would likely cause death.

This would create an interesting offset where the vampire can actually get out in the sun but long exposures could be extremely dangerous.
Magical Liopleurodon  [developer] Jan 30, 2017 @ 11:36am 
Hi Anubis, thanks for your feedback and kind words! I've definitely considered Vampire stages, and I don't like how the melee system works at the moment.

I really like your idea for sun paralysis and matching it with toxic fallout...the code should also be similar, so I should be able to "merge" the toxic fallout code with the "night owl" code and get something like I want.

As for making hearts stackable...have you tried the extended storage mod? Does that make them stackable? If not, its definitely something I'll look into--theoretically, it should be a small change.

Also, thanks for the report on the talking offset, I'll add that to my list and look into it next time I get a chance to work on the mod. Thanks! :)
Anubis Jan 30, 2017 @ 11:54am 
I use mods for stacking, although they don't make hearts stackable because those mods only increase stack sizes and hearts dont actually have a stack size, it's just a nitpick though, nothing major.

About the sun paralysis thing, the night owl code is restricted to a set timeframe, I'm not sure that is the best way to do it, I can think of two ways of making it work in another way.

1 - Restrict it to "light level > 50%" (which is what lamps reach), you could check out the "Psychology" mod's traits to have a look on how to do that, they have two traits that are associated to light level which you could possibly use, I believe one trait is called "photosensitive" (which honestly is exacly what vampire lore points them out to be), and get vampirism to work on a similar way.

2 - Restrict it to outdoor and indoor unroofed locations during the day. (Exactly how the Toxic Fallout works except it would have to happen only at night)

Both of them work, although the first one would happen only in direct contact with the sun and the second one would also happen on locations that are technically shadow, but it could be an easy workaround.

I also still recomend limiting the vampire's stats to between 80 and 150% stronger than humans (Between 180% and 250% if you consider regular pawns at 100%) and weaker than humans when on sun paralysis (of course this highly depends on how you work out the effects of the sun).

I'd also recomend nerfing the effects of fresh blood or making it harder to aquire.

But then again, these last two recomendations are for balancing, which I understand are not currently your focus.

About the melee, I honestly don't see a lot of ways to make it interesting in the current state of Rimworld, maybe if you could make vampires do some sort of a leap when close to enemies that would work but I have never seen it done, not even animals that should be able to do that actually do it, like Cougars.

At any rate, this is likely shaping up to be one of the most interesting mods this game has :)

Great work.
Last edited by Anubis; Jan 30, 2017 @ 12:03pm
ProphetJohn Jan 31, 2017 @ 10:13am 
As long as we're talking about making vamps more complex, less on/off switch and more interactive with their surroundings, is there a way to allow them to sleep in sarcophagus? its not a coffin but it would be about as close as you can get without a custom item.

Im also not clear on how I can make vampires have a % chance to be part of a raid or whatnot, I know this is a coding thing but I dont have alot of experience with xml, is there a page that explains how somewhere I should be reading?
Oblivious Feb 17, 2017 @ 9:15pm 
Quick suggestion about the Necromancy idea. I think it would be best if there was a summoning circle where a corpse is needed plus some cursed blood to "reanimate" the corpse. Then the corpse could be either a colonists, or put into the category of a tamed animal. Just a penny for the thought.

PS. This could also be used for the summoning requirng a certain amount of corpses&blood to summon a super stronk monster.
Last edited by Oblivious; Feb 17, 2017 @ 9:16pm
can always make the hearts in to someting that stacks maybe a clensed/dryed(or someting) heart? that can also be a material for later things
Anvil Pants Jun 14, 2017 @ 8:39am 
The vampiric levels suggestion is (or would better be) more like Vampire: The Masquerade or it's conceptual derivative, Better Vampires (the Skyrim mod), than it is like Skyrim's vanilla vampire systems. BV's website has a straightforward table of how that style of game vampire progresses, and it has options for traditional and inverted progression: e.g., the vampire may either grow stronger or weaker at feeding. Growing stronger at feeding forces the character to feed for game-mechanical strength. Growing weaker at feeding forces the vampire to endure debuffs for game-mechanical strength, and occasionally feed for survival or relief.

To simulate having thralls, prepare carefully, taking a vampire and some cannibals.

For reference on how specifically made thralls could be done, see Walking Problem's "RimSlave V2.0". You'd want to reference his work because he's making slaves as humanlike pets, and is already working to solve conflicts that made with Orion's Hospitality.

I imagine that a thrall should be receiving some single non-stacking mood buffs from some activities it may do for its master. The normal pet moodlet for having a master would ideally only apply if the master is a vampire. Maybe give a debuff for being subordinate to a non-vampire pawn.

If you go that route, use animal handling at first. Vampiric level may or may not need to be separate from the thrall handling skill. Depends on whether or not you want thrall use to train vampiric level, or want the two done separately, as above in blood points concept.
Last edited by Anvil Pants; Jun 14, 2017 @ 8:44am
Enju Saion-ji Aug 5, 2017 @ 12:30pm 
people could have a personal spell book or something to learn spells for staffs or something like that
Ganonn Jan 16, 2018 @ 9:23am 
If possible... pick up the Alchemy and Black magic mod...since it seems to be dropped...or at least taken off of the workshop. I always played both of them at the same time...
✠ DFSpecter May 26, 2019 @ 3:16pm 
Winds of Magic from Warhammer fantasy. It would need to be it's own separate mod and a ton of time.

I don't see this happening anytime soon, but it's still an idea I wanted to see thrown about and talked about.
Count De Ville Aug 28, 2020 @ 5:09am 
hybrid vampire like alucard
Oblivious Jan 10, 2021 @ 11:32pm 
what about something similar to the tomb kings in warhammer 2?
SAUCE__GODD Apr 19, 2022 @ 9:32pm 
What if there were blessed weapons that could deal debuffs to vampires as well as inflict slow-healing wounds
< >
Showing 1-13 of 13 comments
Per page: 1530 50