Cities: Skylines

Cities: Skylines

Loading Screen Mod
 This topic has been pinned, so it's probably important
thale5  [developer] Sep 23, 2019 @ 8:39am
Guide: Loading in Safe Mode

Safe Mode?

It is just a group of options in the mod options dialog:

Remove all vehicle agents and Remove all citizen agents: You can try these options if you are having problems with vehicles and/or citizens. They will repopulate quickly.

Try to recover from Simulation Errors: Use this if Simulation Errors appear in your game or output log.

What are Simulation Errors?

Simulation Error means that the thread that loads the savegame and simulates the city has crashed. It is a serious error. During loading, it is always game breaking. During game play, it is either serious or game breaking.

What causes them?

Reasons are many but all that I am aware of have something to do with Workshop content.

The recovery option in Loading Screen Mod targets errors in custom nets (roads, tracks, paths, etc.) A typical error is that some required net is no longer available. Maybe some road mod or asset was unsubscribed by mistake. Or maybe some net asset that you need is no longer available.

Usage
  1. In Main Menu, enable 'Try to recover from Simulation Errors' in LSM options.
  2. Load your savegame.
  3. If the save loads...
  4. Save it (using a new filename, of course!)
  5. Exit to desktop.
  6. Safe Mode options are automatically disabled when you exit. Leave them disabled.
  7. Load the new savegame.

Other options

Three mods are available for recovering savegames:

(A) Safe Mode in LSM
(B) Save Our Saves mod
(C) Safenets mod.

The three mods use different recovery techniques and are compatible with each other.
You can enable some or all of them in Step 1 above.

You do not probably need Safenets because the recovery option in LSM should be more powerful.

Feedback

Can the Safe Mode options be improved? Send your feedback and output_log.txt (using pastebin or similar).
Last edited by thale5; Sep 23, 2019 @ 9:03am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 16 comments
Hhaziq98 Nov 9, 2019 @ 8:49am 
About Simulation Errors, how I want to know with asset is broken? Can it list in .txt automatically?
thale5  [developer] Nov 9, 2019 @ 8:55am 
@Hhaziq98 If you enable Assets Report in mod options, you'll find out which assets are broken.

However, assets don't cause simulation errors. I don't know even one that does.
vila浅水荟澄 Dec 7, 2019 @ 10:50pm 
May I know how does Safe Mode recover the save from simulation error? In most case, I cant figure out which mod cause error in output-log. Thanks for answer
thale5  [developer] Dec 9, 2019 @ 12:27am 
@vilamno Safe Mode uses several techniques. The general idea is to patch the game so that it does not crash if the save game contains erroneous net segments. Without patching, the game is very vulnerable to net issues.
kkkkkk Dec 15, 2019 @ 6:26pm 
I've recover one of the saves, but i have tick the remove vehicle agent. And after a while ive found out that passenger does not get onto public transport. Please help, thank you
thale5  [developer] Dec 16, 2019 @ 9:30am 
@kkkkkk It takes some simulation time for the traffic to normalize. First vehicles reappear, then citizens notice the vehicles and start using them. At least in my tests it worked like that.
vproman Jan 4, 2020 @ 1:54pm 
Would it be difficult to have LSM also support map editing?
thale5  [developer] Jan 7, 2020 @ 8:36am 
@vproman You can enable LSM in editors if you like although I don't support it officially. Keep Left Control pressed when you start loading. There's a picture on the main page.
MaximusSupremus Feb 22, 2020 @ 3:57pm 
hey can this be used to skip some of the prefab maps?
cuz that would be sweet!
sebastiankozub Feb 23, 2020 @ 1:27pm 
Originally posted by Hhaziq98:
About Simulation Errors, how I want to know with asset is broken? Can it list in .txt automatically?
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1846793796
thale5  [developer] Feb 24, 2020 @ 8:19am 
@MaximusSupremus I don't think maps need skipping. When you click New Game or Load Game in Main menu, exactly one map is loaded. Other maps are not loaded and are not eating RAM.

If you meant skipping prefab buildings, props, etc from built-in maps, yes, that works. It works the same for all maps.
MaximusSupremus Feb 29, 2020 @ 12:56am 
Thank you
prizmracer11 Jul 3, 2020 @ 4:47pm 
Hello, this Mod has saved my city. I have to remove vehicle agents every time I load the city. If I don't the game freezes after loading. After removing vehicle agents everything works fine but after saving and opening again, the game freezes again. I think LSM is doing its job but do you have any idea how I can get the city working without loading in safe mode every time ? From my understanding its probably a bad vehicle asset but I can't figure out which one.

Otherwise, is there any drawback to running in safe mode every time? Thank you.
thale5  [developer] Jul 9, 2020 @ 8:46am 
Removing vehicle agents every time should be a safe thing to do. But it can be annoying because the traffic needs some time to settle after loading.

I'm pretty sure it's not a vehicle asset. My guess is it has something to do with nets (i.e roads, tracks, or paths). You could 'Try to recover from Simulation Errors' in LSM options, if you did not do that already. That option does its best to remove faulty net segments.
wyomingbean Sep 12, 2021 @ 8:49pm 
This topic and discussion was very helpful! Thank you!
< >
Showing 1-15 of 16 comments
Per page: 1530 50