Age of Wonders III

Age of Wonders III

Racial Reinforcements
Axios  [developer] Sep 14, 2015 @ 10:26am
Balance Changes
Please feel free to use this discussion to talk about balance changes. This isn't just for show; I genuinely will take note of what is mentioned here and factor it into future updates. Honest feedback please, if something is rubbish or overpowered please tell me!
Last edited by Axios; Sep 14, 2015 @ 10:27am
< >
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
end it fam Sep 18, 2015 @ 4:04pm 
One thing that seems a little unbalanced is the high elf blademaster, i like the idea, but it really isnt much squisher than the swordsman, with only 1 less defense at base, i think reducing its defense by 1 or 2 more would focus the unit a bit better. As it stands its mostly just better than the regular swordsman. On the whole great work on the mod though!
Axios  [developer] Sep 18, 2015 @ 4:24pm 
@kanan. Thanks for looking into it. I should mention that although the blade master has one less defence base, it also doesn't have the shield ability which to all front facing enemies is an extra 2 defence. On the whole though I think you are right and a slight nerf probably wouldn't hurt. I must admit I have been a little slack with balancing so far, instead focusing on new releases. This weekend though I promise there will be a host of fixes and balances to the existing units as well as a few new faces as well.
Twiggymc Sep 18, 2015 @ 10:09pm 
Honestly i found the blademaster to be fine he dies pretty fast to most things already due to the lack of a shield, maybe giving him sprint if your gonna lower his defenses more? or atleast maybe as a rank up ability that way he isnt completly destroyed by anything that happens to be in melee range of him
Last edited by Twiggymc; Sep 18, 2015 @ 10:09pm
Axios  [developer] Sep 19, 2015 @ 12:51am 
Originally posted by Twiggymc:
Honestly i found the blademaster to be fine he dies pretty fast to most things already due to the lack of a shield, maybe giving him sprint if your gonna lower his defenses more? or atleast maybe as a rank up ability that way he isnt completly destroyed by anything that happens to be in melee range of him

Haha I never planned for what happens if people have conflicting balance ideas. I really like the sprint idea by the way, that will be going in as a level up at the very least. Maybe I need to do some more testing, or put this to a vote.
Twiggymc Sep 19, 2015 @ 7:44am 
Ultimately its your judgement on balance lol if people have conflicting ideas im not against the defense nerf maybe by 1? i just feel that adding sprint means if hes caught in melee and needs to get out sprint will allow that
Axios  [developer] Sep 19, 2015 @ 8:05am 
Originally posted by Twiggymc:
Ultimately its your judgement on balance lol if people have conflicting ideas im not against the defense nerf maybe by 1? i just feel that adding sprint means if hes caught in melee and needs to get out sprint will allow that

It's my judgement but I want/need the advice of the community on balance. Overall I'm fairly happy with how they are currently.... I think I will leave it for now. Maybe try a few games out and see what I think of them.

Oh sprint made it into the game in the last update. They now get it from levelling up.
Last edited by Axios; Sep 19, 2015 @ 8:05am
Juz Oct 8, 2015 @ 5:46pm 
I think the Dwarven Shieldbearer is a bit op, having at look at it compared to the axemen it lose 1 damage, gains 1 def, fair trade off. It loses demolisher but gains shatter strike, again fiar enough bot situationally usful but then also gains projectile resistance at not extra cost or negative. With projectile resistance compared to not having it I don't see why I'd ever get the axemen. I feel like something needs to change here.

My suggestion would be to do one of the following:
Shield bearer loses the extra +1 Defense
Shiled bearer loses Projectile Resistance
Shield bearer loses 4 movement speed
Shield bearer loses Shatter Strike
Shield beaer costs 5 more Gold

Otherwise it really does just seem better to me anyway.
76561198143548845 Oct 30, 2015 @ 2:04pm 
While playing with the goblins i thought that the rabble units suffers from a small identity crisis as it is currently the goblins weakest and cheapest unit but is too neglected compared to the marauder and thus is never used often, so i suggest that they get the urban concealment ability to emphasise its quick spawn, defense role, making a city secure and also obscuring that from the enemy,the basis for this is that they are composed from town people, males, females, ... they mix well with the town populace so nobody can see the difference when attacking until it becomes too late.
Axios  [developer] Feb 11, 2016 @ 1:20pm 
Originally posted by Juz:
I think the Dwarven Shieldbearer is a bit op, having at look at it compared to the axemen it lose 1 damage, gains 1 def, fair trade off. It loses demolisher but gains shatter strike, again fiar enough bot situationally usful but then also gains projectile resistance at not extra cost or negative. With projectile resistance compared to not having it I don't see why I'd ever get the axemen. I feel like something needs to change here.

My suggestion would be to do one of the following:
Shield bearer loses the extra +1 Defense
Shiled bearer loses Projectile Resistance
Shield bearer loses 4 movement speed
Shield bearer loses Shatter Strike
Shield beaer costs 5 more Gold

Otherwise it really does just seem better to me anyway.

I'm replying way too late to this post. Still I am going to reply! You are right of course and I think the shield bearer will be getting a small nerf in the next patch. As I kind of like how the shield bearers are now I think i may go with the +5gold route. As your suggestion is valid.
Akora May 13, 2016 @ 2:47pm 
Great work, love the look and feel and the effort put into the unit appearances. My only comment/revision would be around the Tigran Predator. Feel it is a bit OP as it is. I feel like its almost a Tier 2 unit. Comparing it to the other Tigran Tier 1 units I feel its stats should be in between the Sun Guard and Cheetah.
My suggestion would be:
HP = 40 (down from 48)
Melee Strike = 11 (down from 12)
Cost = 60 (up from 50)
< >
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
Per page: 1530 50