Garry's Mod

Garry's Mod

Track Assembly Tool
Jane Mar 19, 2021 @ 4:08am
Server failing to send translations
Nothing but intense spam in client log (and nothing related to loading addon). Oh, and apparently I was supposed to "trackassembly_resetvars", server got much more logs but nothing about translation. Here's log itself, includes some clicking: https://u.teknik.io/ZgPul.txt
< >
Showing 1-15 of 28 comments
Jane Mar 19, 2021 @ 4:12am 
Also it's Linux gaming rig.
[Sk$Bh]Trick or treat KID!  [developer] Mar 19, 2021 @ 11:53am 
Are the server and client on the same machine ?

Translations are client side. And function that handle the translations are also client side. They must be loaded from the gaming rig, not the server.
Jane Mar 19, 2021 @ 12:00pm 
No, server is dedicated and sits fully separated from client (physically on same computer, but in different LXC containers, no shared filesystems). Just like it would be over internet. The only instance where I've seen translations implemented yet working with my setup (no AddWorkshop on server, nothing extra installed on client) is NPC Spawn Platforms, which has properties file with translations. ".properties" can be added to FastDL with AddSingleFile. AddCSLuaFile should not cause problems either, addons do that all the time. I have no idea why trackassemblytool fails.
[Sk$Bh]Trick or treat KID!  [developer] Mar 19, 2021 @ 1:01pm 
I want to stay away from *.properties extension as far as possible. I want the translation to be an actual lua file encoded in UTF-8 so I can fill up hashes dynamically using concatenation an all the other neat functions from the sting library, which happen to utilize UTF8 quite nice.
That is also the first time I encounter this error ( o far as I remember at least ), so I will try running a sever under VM and forward it to my real IP to debug this and enable the client logs.
[Sk$Bh]Trick or treat KID!  [developer] Mar 21, 2021 @ 8:05am 
Hi,

I make a server just now, to test that and it is working quite well for me even with disabled 'sv_allowcslua'. Are you sure that your server is up to date and you have all the permissions on the CFG and addons ? Addons main folders must be with lower case letter to work.

Command-line Parameters ===================================================================== ./srcds_run -game garrysmod -strictportbind -ip 192.168.0.106 -port 27015 -tickrate 33 +host_workshop_collection -authkey +clientport 27005 +tv_port 27020 +gamemode sandbox +map gm_construct +sv_setsteamaccount dvd_video +servercfgfile gmodserver.cfg -maxplayers 16 -disableluarefresh

This is my my run command
Last edited by [Sk$Bh]Trick or treat KID!; Mar 21, 2021 @ 8:05am
Jane Mar 21, 2021 @ 10:34am 
Addon is not installed on client, right? Is addon installed as folder in "addons"? I have no idea what is causing "Oops, missing ?", every other addon works as expected.
[Sk$Bh]Trick or treat KID!  [developer] Mar 23, 2021 @ 2:04pm 
@Jane has Garry's Mod 21 Mar @ 7:34pm

You need to install the same addon in both client and server. If you are using Linux server make sure the cloned repo folder ( the one that contains the "lua" folder ) name includes only digits, lower case letters and underscore otherwise the linux machine will not see the files at all.

Windows: ...garrysmod\addons\TrackAssemblyTool_GIT ( upper case is allowed )
Linux: ...garrysmod/addons/trackassemblytool_git ( upper case is not allowed )

I made all the files in TA with lower case names. Try leading only the "lua" folder inside the main repo folder. This is the source of the tool and only it is needed to function anyway :P
Jane Mar 23, 2021 @ 2:28pm 
Oh, this is pain. It would be great if such small addon was fully FastDL compatible. As for filenames, I am fully aware of Garry's Mod being broken regarding uppercase filenames. Already had directory name lowercase (and there's no uppercase in file names with exception of unrelated "tools" dir already).
Jane Mar 23, 2021 @ 2:37pm 
Oh, hold on, there's more uppercase stuff. Nope, it's not the cause.
Last edited by Jane; Mar 23, 2021 @ 2:53pm
[Sk$Bh]Trick or treat KID!  [developer] Mar 24, 2021 @ 1:03pm 
I think you better ask in the Gmod discord. Can you use the *.gma version ?

Garry's Mod - Discorddiscord.com › invite › gmod
Official discord for Garry's Mod from Facepunch | 58700 members. ... You've been invited to join. Garry's Mod. 19,470 Online. 58,700 Members. Accept Invite.

https://discord.com/invite/gmod

It is weird that table hashes and dynamic compilation work for so many people ... You can rid of the "tools" directory BTW. It only contains stuff that makes me develop :D. You can delete everything that is not located in the "lua" directory. I've merged the translation hash indexing and if does not work, then Lua itself does not work.

I always test my changes before I merge or update something so I am sure TA is OK.
Last edited by [Sk$Bh]Trick or treat KID!; Mar 24, 2021 @ 2:20pm
Jane Mar 24, 2021 @ 5:03pm 
I do not want to use .gma. Neither I want to use Discord. I am giving up. Also I want to quote author of Ultimate Workshop Downloader:

Originally posted by https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/discussion/2214712098/3099012755257220350/:
Ultimately, if we still have problems downloading legacy addons in 2021, we should totally blame addon developers. They should configure what needs to be sent, but they often don't. To make matters worse, they started to care even less about paying attention to server dl after GMod started using Workshop - since it's super pratical and "automatic" (with resource.AddWorkshop()).

My problem with TA is not that it does not configure files to be sent, it's the fact I simply can't do it. All other addons can be scanned for usual resource files for resource.AddSingleFile / AddFile. This approach does not work with TA.
Last edited by Jane; Mar 24, 2021 @ 5:14pm
[Sk$Bh]Trick or treat KID!  [developer] Mar 26, 2021 @ 11:43pm 
Hmm. Interesting. I will check AddSingleFile. I will revert the old way if compiling translations and test it with this. Will commit shortly. I will create new issue for you

for iD = 1, #gtTransFile do local sNam = gsLangForm:format("", gtTransFile[iD]) if(SERVER) then AddCSLuaFile(sNam) resourceAddSingleFile(sNam) end end

Although This "AddCSLuaFile" claims to solve this problem in the first place o its own and this is pretty weird...

https://wiki.facepunch.com/gmod/Global.AddCSLuaFile
Last edited by [Sk$Bh]Trick or treat KID!; Mar 27, 2021 @ 12:36am
[Sk$Bh]Trick or treat KID!  [developer] Mar 27, 2021 @ 1:04pm 
Originally posted by Jane:
Oh, hold on, there's more uppercase stuff. Nope, it's not the cause.

Could you please try if the last WS version works for you. I've added Intensional call of this function. as it seems only "AddCSLuaFile" is not enough for you.

https://github.com/dvdvideo1234/TrackAssemblyTool/commit/c69a3d1f26b22777382eb1defb84c353b717acdf

https://github.com/dvdvideo1234/TrackAssemblyTool/issues/29
Last edited by [Sk$Bh]Trick or treat KID!; Mar 27, 2021 @ 2:34pm
Jane Mar 27, 2021 @ 7:05pm 
AddFile is not meant for lua files.
[Sk$Bh]Trick or treat KID!  [developer] Mar 28, 2021 @ 12:27am 
Originally posted by Jane:
AddFile is not meant for lua files.

Anyway. Does it work now or ?

My translation ARE lua files so they are compiled as a regular UTF8 files ;). I'd blame the Gmod devs on this one... AddSCLuafiles are basically the same but for lua files.

https://wiki.facepunch.com/gmod/Global.AddCSLuaFile
Last edited by [Sk$Bh]Trick or treat KID!; Mar 28, 2021 @ 12:40am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 28 comments
Per page: 1530 50