Project Zomboid

Project Zomboid

Aquatsar Yacht Club [for MP disable anti-cheat type 12]
Kluba Sep 5, 2023 @ 8:39am
Can't sail against wind
So i try to sail agains wind at an angle (red or green zone) and my boat sometimes moves foward bur rarely and in adition to that when the boat stop it looks like it is about to fall over
< >
Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
ElfpireEva Sep 6, 2023 @ 5:50am 
This angle in sailing is called a close reach and in real life is by far the most difficult angle to maintain speed consistanty, as the tendency to get caught in the irons is high.

While the strange movement of the boat is definitely not normal, I basically reason out that its the game/mods version of getting caught in the irons- so instead what I would do is work on tacking and Jibeing (basically working your way against the wind by sailing in a zig zag pattern) instead, as this method will stop this behavior, although it does take a lot more attention and sail switching in the game, it can be quite fun.
Kluba Sep 6, 2023 @ 10:04am 
Originally posted by TheIrishSailor:
This angle in sailing is called a close reach and in real life is by far the most difficult angle to maintain speed consistanty, as the tendency to get caught in the irons is high.

While the strange movement of the boat is definitely not normal, I basically reason out that its the game/mods version of getting caught in the irons- so instead what I would do is work on tacking and Jibeing (basically working your way against the wind by sailing in a zig zag pattern) instead, as this method will stop this behavior, although it does take a lot more attention and sail switching in the game, it can be quite fun.
yeah i am in zig zag as i stated before "at an angle red or green zone)" which is around 30* from the wind direction and try to do it with google with the sail set at an correct angle (acording to google)
Last edited by Kluba; Sep 6, 2023 @ 10:06am
ElfpireEva Oct 2, 2023 @ 1:41am 
Finding the sweet spot and keeping it there can be rather difficult, on the server im on I'm the dedicated helmsmen because I can reliably get it to work (Despite the UI actually not working for me anymore) but even with my real life knowledge and experience I often can find myself losing the sweet spot over the smallest of position changes, and the way the boat 'drives' can actually cause it to turn slightly without imput, which while accurate to real life, can be agitating
ignataplan Oct 20, 2023 @ 8:10am 
Originally posted by TheIrishSailor:

Do you guys hace any idea where can i find a tutorial, about how to sail with this mods, im actually looking everywhere, but i cannot undersund how to sailing with the wind
Im actually going to buckle down and just make one given how much this comes up
St Chad May 5 @ 8:20am 
I'm actually unable to sail at all. The sail position doesn't even move and the wind instrument on board contradicts the compass's wind direction.
I would make a sailing video too, if I could figure it out. Sometimes it works great, other times not so much. A how to video would be very helpful. Also I am not 100% sure which way the game thinks is north.
Oh and another thing, when the wind around 2mph I cant get it to move at all. Is that by design or am I doing something wrong?
< >
Showing 1-8 of 8 comments
Per page: 1530 50