Imperator: Rome

Imperator: Rome

Jozef's Immersive Etruria
Jozef  [developer] Feb 28, 2021 @ 5:03am
Changes
I've made some changes to this mod. An important one is that all city state leaders will now be known as "Zilath Mechl Rasnal", instead of just "Zilath". In chapter 18 of The Etruscan World: Political systems and law, Hilary Becker notes the epitaph of Vel Leinies, which mentions that he was "mechlum rasneas clevsinsl zilachnve". If one reads "Zilath Mechl Rasnal" as meaning "Leader of the People of Etruria", then Leinies' office would translate as "Leader of the People of Etruria of Clevsins", which doesn't make much sense.

In my description I already mention "Zilath Mechl Rasnal" as (likely, though maybe "possibly" would be a better phrasing) meaning "Leader of the common cause/res publica" ("mech" then translating as "cause" or "affairs", "rasna" as "people"), this is the interpretation of Rix. In this case, one could translate Leinies' office as meaning "Leader of the Clevsinian Res Publica", or simply "Leader of the Clevsinian State".

Furthermore, the term "Zilath" was used for many different offices ("Zilath Eterau", "Zilath Scuntnues"), and Etruscan kings were called "Zilath" as well ("Lauchume" was simply a first name).

I will take over this interpretation, also of how these titles relate to the different spheres of the Etruscan city state. It is thought that the city states had several boundaries: "cilth" (citadel), "methlum" (city) and "spura" (city-state) which had political as well as religious significance. So you have "Zilaths" at the level of the city-state, the cities themselves and below that, certain officials. The "Zilath Mechl Rasnal" is an overarching leader of the city-state, not of an Etruscan federation. This will be reflected in my mod.

I still want a specific office title for the leader of a greater Etruria, though. I have found this in an article doubting the existence of any kind of federation, which can be read freely here[www.law.uwa.edu.au]. On page 4, it mentions a so-called "zilch cechaneri", which according to Maggiani was a "supreme zilath" or "zilath for higher things": "a post which could be created at times of alliances with other cities, or at times of 'micro-confederations'."

I will therefore be using the term "Zilath Cechaneri" for this purpose; "Zilath" and not "Zilch" because I found a source in which this appears as an office title as well, and it's more consistent.
Last edited by Jozef; Feb 28, 2021 @ 7:08am