Torchlight II

Torchlight II

Wildling (v.2279)
 This topic has been pinned, so it's probably important
gytfunke  [developer] Nov 17, 2013 @ 7:32pm
Balance Discussion
So, with a full roster of skills for each skill tree and only a few replacements left to make to the existing skill lineup, I'd like to get some feedback from everyone on balancing the Wildling. Does anything feel op? Useless? Please post your suggestions below.
Last edited by gytfunke; Nov 24, 2013 @ 5:42pm
< >
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
叫父 Dec 11, 2013 @ 7:30pm 
First of all, I have to admit that this is the most complete class I have ever seen since the game out. Very appriciate for the hard work.
The main problem of the class is the damage output which is too low even for high level.
My guess is most of AOE skills were basiced on focus (character property) not XX% of weapon DPS making the damage not distinct increasing. For example, Lightning Storm is awesome but the damage is just too low to effective. When the first level the character unlocking Lightning Storm, the damage can't even kill the worest minion.
Furthermore, I noticing that you decresed importance of skill damage by adding some strong summoners. While, the charge bar is great but the chance to call the ally is too low which is basiclly ignored during battle.
However, low DPS not means we can do nothing. My personal build is Brambleskin, Hand of Gaea, Solar Puissance, Conduit, Thunder Spirit and Take Flight. The idea is to become as tank as possible, and let the enemies kill themselves(by reflecting damage). This build is just so tanky by taking one hand weapon and a shield. The problem is still very low efficiency.
BTW, this experience is based on SynergiesMOD and Elite difficulty.
Last edited by 叫父; Dec 11, 2013 @ 7:47pm
gytfunke  [developer] Dec 11, 2013 @ 9:19pm 
Hey oZhU, this is great feedback.

First thing, if you're looking for other complete classes you should try out Haette's Nethermancer and OedipusTex's Theolentist. They're AWESOME classes.

The Wildling has been developed using Vanilla Elite as the standard. I've never played Synergies, so I don't really know how it differs. I hear you about the low DPS, especially on Lightning Storm. I'm going to add scaling damage to it. At the moment, only the stun chance scales with added points.

As for Nature's Allies (the charge bar summons), I've been considering adding slight boosts to them based on the weapon-specific passive abilities in each tree.

-An increased chance to summon an ally for the Primal tree
-Increased mana regeneration per Ally summoned for the Tempest Tree
-Increased max HP for all allies (players and pets) when an Ally is summoned

Let me know if you think those boosts would offset the small chance of summoning a Natural Ally via the charge bar. I'm going to start implementing them.

gytfunke  [developer] Dec 21, 2013 @ 12:59am 
Made kinda a huge change to 2 skills in the Gaea tree. Playing through Act 2 with my Gaea Wildling I felt like I was way too tanky and steamrolled everything without any effort. So, I've redone Brambleskin and Hand of Gaea.

Brambleskin is now Gaea's Vengeance, a weapon buff for you and all your allies.

Hand of Gaea now increases all party members' attack speed.
gytfunke  [developer] May 4, 2014 @ 9:42am 
Hey Khalanos, I redirected our convo here because I couldn't post this all up there.

This is great feedback. I do have one question: what difficulty are you playing the mod on and are you using Synergies or any other mod that affects the difficulty of the game?

*Blood Talon triggers three hits per cast, but only one hit per cast procs the bonuses (I did it this way to keep the bonuses from getting too crazy).

*I'll look into Storm Chakram being OP.

*I'll turn the volume down on Creeping Doom, but I still like the sound =^)

*I think you're right about Winter... it is a bit weak for how much it costs and all of its limitations.

*Lotus Bloom does mostly an exclusive DOT so that its damage doesn't scale abnormally well. The DOT is its baseline dmaage and each extra missile adds about 4% damage to the skill which is in line with other ranged skills from the vanilla classes. It's actually a little low, but that's because Lotus Blossom procs many Wildling passives, including the charge bar, and it does so more effectively than any other skill the Wildling has.

*I've thought a lot about the weapon-specific passives. The reason Natural Selection is better than Windtalker or Wild Hunt is that it is there to offset some of the inherent advantages staves and bows have for the wildling. Staves offer the chance to use Focus as your primary stat and amass a huge mana pool with bonus elemental damage, which is great for the Tempest and Gaea trees. Bows allow you to stay out of combat without draining your mana (so sort of like having a staff, it essentially increases the amount of mana you have available to cast spells). Melee weapons on the other hand force you into melee combat where, unless you're playing Synergies, the Wildling doesn't have the 25% damage reduction a true melee class enjoys.
Last edited by gytfunke; May 4, 2014 @ 9:42am
Khalanos May 4, 2014 @ 4:03pm 
I play in veteran at the moment.
This is the difficulty I have been using with all my char so i can compare.
The synergy monster are a lot stronger than the vanilla ones. I guess you know that already.

I only use Synergy and mod class ( because synergy has a huge content, that often collides with other mods).

About the weapon, which is the biggest concern ( to me at least).

I will definitly never use a bow with the wildling. If it there were small packs of monsters ( like 2-5), you could hit ant run easily. But we always face much bigger groups. And since there are no spells that REQUIRES a bow ( and take adventage of it), you will do two things :
-> Use the tempest/nature tree ( acording to your preferences, mine is tempst)
-> Get to melee ( which will happen in less than a second)

The 10 (+2x lvl if i understood well)% dammage reduction is really huge, and the dammage absorbtion ( at my lvl it's around 100 for 2s), which PROC each time the chakram hit is a real boost. And I don't even use the tier bonus of harass ( yellow spell, which increase the dammage taken by 20% and slow monster with the tier bonus).

You have to be in melee, and the tankiness brought by the two polearm passiv are too important. Coupled with the insane projectile reflection, you are godlike ;)

But i must admit, I didn't consider the staff and the focus caracteristic, I could really be interesting, but i would need a better passiv, or the mob will rip your throat in high difficulty.
I am convinced that with the current skill tree, a bow is meaningless. ( And I personally use o bow only with archer classes, such as engineer, or Mongol Archer or Far East Exentention)
Khalanos May 4, 2014 @ 5:12pm 
I have more fresh comments :
-You need to lower the sound of pixie too, the flip flap form her wings is annoying :)

-There is really no insterest in investing point in howling breath ( you gain 2 miserable % chance to immibilize, not worth a point which can increase your damage by 5 %)

-The Beast spell has the same problem as Winter. It costs a lot, and it doesn't deals much more dammage than auto attacks, and you can't move, which leave you insanely vulnerable :s
(I am not a real fan of channeled spell, it's strategicaly aweful)

-I think the bats could pass through ennemies, like the chakram, that could be great.

Nuff' said for today.

If you want, you can keep me inform of the changes you plan to do, and I can tell you my thoughts about it.
Khalanos May 4, 2014 @ 5:15pm 
Last thing, there is a mistake with a spell.
The on which heals on a kill does NOT give mana ( the decription says it does :s)
gytfunke  [developer] May 4, 2014 @ 8:54pm 
Alright, this is a lot to work on, but I'll get to it eventually.
Kanjejou Mar 8, 2015 @ 12:53pm 
the early game of the wildling is very weak and may need a bit of a base buff for the first tree...
murder of crow 10% blind is very low for a skill made to prepare your opponent for a spanking...
a bit of blindness % per point coudl help
a Prey on the weak scale with nothing make this one quite weak in comparison...

i think tiered passiv could help a lot.... by making putting points in passiv more interesting...and less of a chore

for exemple put some crit chance on prey on the weak on tier 5/10 and 15 makign upping it a bit less painfull

make thunder spirit refresh faster at rank 5/10 and 15 like 0.9/ 0.8/ 0.7 sec

because as game progress very little part of your kit get better and more reliable...

Yes unreliability is maybe the biggest wildling weakness

chance of summoning are extremely low i reached level 100 in veteran and even with 15% chance to summon i often clean entire donjon and barely summon 2 pet simuneateously...
Last edited by Kanjejou; Mar 19, 2015 @ 4:16pm
Ikore May 30, 2015 @ 7:58pm 
everytime I open up the skill tree the game crashes.Is there a fix for this?
Last edited by Ikore; Jul 4, 2015 @ 1:22pm
< >
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
Per page: 1530 50