Starbound

Starbound

[Redux // Support Ended] Ori Spirit Race
 This topic has been pinned, so it's probably important
Xan // Eti  [developer] Jan 13, 2019 @ 10:05am
Development Logs
Subscribe to this Discussion to get work updates for the mod!

I've designed this thread with the idea of posting updates to indev features. This will contain sneak-peeks, previews, and explanations on upcoming changes to the mod.

For the sake of organization, should you want to give insight to a change or respond to any post, please mention the post number you are replying to or quote what you are responding to! The post number is in the lower right corner of each post.
Last edited by Xan // Eti; Feb 5, 2019 @ 2:06pm
< >
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
Xan // Eti  [developer] Jan 13, 2019 @ 10:08am 
I've started work on some codex entries for Spirit Guardians. Now I don't know about anyone else here, but I am a complete lore nut for games. As a result, I'm writing some pretty detailed stories in various codex entries. It's a great quality of life update for the mod and adds a bit more immersion. These entries also serve a much greater purpose: Linking the lore between the games.

When Ori and the Will of the Wisps releases, I will update any lore mentioned in the codex entries appropriately (There may be some more revealed to us through the game, after all).

Last night, I finished writing a codex that took up some 17 pages in-game. Lots of lore.
Last edited by Xan // Eti; Jan 25, 2019 @ 6:49pm
Xan // Eti  [developer] Jan 14, 2019 @ 11:24am 
I've just put the creation of clothing and armor on the to-do list. I had multiple ideas for armor styles in mind.

Armor:
I initially had two styles for this in mind.
1) Similar style to The Forlorn Ruins (Stone, orange energy highlights, maybe some floaty stuff)
2) Hardlight similar to the style of platforms in The Black Root Burrows

Weapons:
At the moment there's a stock bow and broadsword. This is fairly narrow in terms of options. I plan to add more including:
1) Daggers, shortswords, and greatswords. All of these will have a style similar to the armor styles mentioned above.
2) More bow variants, potentially a physical one in addition to the energy-based one.
3) Perhaps even guns will be made. This is still up in the air.
4) Spears, especially one similar to that of what we've seen in the Ori WotW trailer.

What do you all think? Do you have anything to add?
Xan // Eti  [developer] Jan 18, 2019 @ 8:44am 
I've just pushed 1.4.3b. This is a minor patch but there was some stuff I wanted to clear out of the way like the release of the codex entries and such. Check the "Patch Notes" tab up top for more info.
Xan // Eti  [developer] Jan 20, 2019 @ 2:27pm 
Pushed 1.4.3c. This is another minor patch, though I did add a new item. Check the "Patch Notes" tab up top for more info.
Xan // Eti  [developer] Jan 26, 2019 @ 10:16pm 
I've been doing some discussion among my peers to plan for a prototype extension patch. I understand that many users may want digitigrade legs (similar to the Avali), and as such I plan to acknowledge this demand while retaining as much compatibility as I can. So here's the general plan:

• Add a patch that overrides race images to use digitigrade legs. This patch will include a selection of upgraded cosmetics and armor to match the new shape.
• Append some method of allowing user-designed packs for cosmetics, as the limitations imposed by the custom shape and vanilla items are very restrictive
• Ensure x-compatibility with other mods e.g. Avali by using the same shape.

There's more to be planned before this is launched but I thought I'd bring it up for you all.
Xan // Eti  [developer] Jan 29, 2019 @ 5:22pm 
Hey all!

We've (Myself and a couple friends who volunteered to lend a hand) decided that we are taking on the job of adding an expansion for the altered body shape! (See the post above)

This addon will be offered as a separate mod so that those who prefer the standard humanoid model can keep this mod without any interference from the changes. Better yet, this extension is designed to be client only! This means that if your friends are using the default mod alone, but you're using the extension addon, it will work and there will be no compatibility issues since we will override textures on items that exist in the game. On your screen, you see the clothing and body that fits you. On their screen, they see the humanoid shape. Neat, huh?

The new mod will include:
  • An override to alter the body shape of all Spirit Guardians so that their legs match that of the Avali mod. This specific decision was made because Avali is a very popular mod that has established a large repository of clothing and armor that uses this body shape. Simply put, we're swinging off of the existing content to give ourselves and our subscribers a boost for the amount of available content. We will not be using the same tail shape as the Avali (but we will be using tails on the stock models that reflect the shape of Spirit Guardian tails) so certain armor from Avali may be incompatible if it adds accoutrements to the tail.
  • A selection of clothing items based on those included in this variant of the mod. Whenever this mod gets a clothing update, the other one will too. The clothing appearance in the other mod will override existing elements, so that way the mod remains clientside. It's effectively a reskin, in this sense.

What do you all think?
Last edited by Xan // Eti; Feb 16, 2019 @ 2:27pm
Xan // Eti  [developer] Mar 13, 2019 @ 1:35pm 
Heya folks.

I've been silent for some time so I wanted to give you all a bit of a status update.

I've had some work come up on my own end that I needed to sort out, which caused a delay in progress for the change mentioned above. I'm now back on the project, albeit working quite slowly. I have the idle poses done (I need to get them validated + cleaned up) and I'm working on motion right now for various animations.

I just wanted to make this update thread to say that I am still working on things, but the progress + frequency you hear from me is going to be slowed down quite a lot. As such, here's an assumption you should make from now on: Things aren't dead unless I say they are. Otherwise, assume it's being worked on at a slow pace.

As for an ETA? I'm unsure. I'll get back to you on that.
Xan // Eti  [developer] Apr 20, 2019 @ 11:44am 
Status update!

I've gone on a brief hiatus as other work takes over once again, but I should ideally have the color change done in the poll out within a month.
Xan // Eti  [developer] Dec 29, 2019 @ 9:19pm 
Depending on whether or not this change is approved, some time in the future (whenever Sayter is not too busy), Frackin' Races will be updated and this race will have total immunity to fall damage.
Xan // Eti  [developer] Jan 31, 2020 @ 7:46pm 
^ was added some time ago. Forgot to mention for a month. Oops.

It's been a very busy time for me as of late but I decided to hop back in to this mod for a little. I can't give you ships (yet), but I *can* give you mechs. Spirit mech components coming SoonTM!
Xan // Eti  [developer] Feb 8, 2020 @ 9:49pm 
NEW PROJECT: Since this is easy and it's been royally pissing off my OCD, spirit teleporters will now look like actual wells. I'm redoing the graphic from scratch.
Xan // Eti  [developer] Feb 28, 2020 @ 2:17pm 
I've been doing more contemplation and I've come up with plans for a change I think you all will love.

Spirits are receiving new racial tech options, including...
  • Head Tech: Nanite-Sein, an AI construct designed to replicate simple behavior of Sein, adding the ability to use Spirit Flame and maybe an upgraded version adding charge flame.
  • Body Tech: Light Burst, because lobbing pure-light grenades at enemies is fun.
  • Leg Tech: Bash. You know I had to do it.

The default keybinds for these will be:
F - Use Spirit Flame / Charge Flame
R - Light Burst (may change if conflicting with gun reload mods)
V - Bash

Thanks to XModConfig...
You will be able to map your own keys to these abilities, if you have XModConfig installed.
< >
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
Per page: 1530 50