Garry's Mod

Garry's Mod

GM BuildSpase E3
Vuthakral May 31, 2018 @ 1:53pm
Feedback, Suggestions, etc.
My quick two cents
I really like this map. I feel like it's got a lot of potential to become one of those maps synonymous with Garry's Mod, with maps such as bigcity, fork, valley, etc. I'd love to use this for my server's default map if it weren't for two things, which I'll describe below:

Feedback

The optimization. It's... not that good. I get an average of 40-50 FPS on this map, which isn't bad. But that's the average. It dips to the 20s zone when overlooking the entire map, and that's with detaildist disabled, no grass. (660TI, Quad-core CPU @ 3.4GHz. MCore enabled in gmod.)

The lake's depth. The one near the center of the map just to be clear. Underwater building, creatures, etc are a common thing in my server's community, and the lake isn't exactly very deep. It works for boats, but not for underwater bases, creatures, submarines, etc. The air space is absolutely massive right now (to the point the map goes out of render distance if you go up high enough), and I think it can take a tiny hit if it means a deeper lake.

Suggestions

A small map addition: Have you played Half-Life 1? A pipe connecting one side of the dam to the other, optionally with an openable/closable water gate in the pipe. It just seems like a cool addition that could make the map feel more alive and have some more depth.

A small bit of support for an addon: There's an addon called StormFox - Environment Mod which adds a realtime lighting system, day/night cycle, and weather/wind to the game. It controls visual functions with six map entities, right now your map has four of these six things. The only two which are not present are the light_environment and env_tonemap_controller entities.
Last edited by Vuthakral; May 31, 2018 @ 3:12pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 16 comments
Jimmy Liquidity  [developer] May 31, 2018 @ 4:50pm 
Fix the Garage doors ; )
epicplayer40 Jun 1, 2018 @ 8:53am 
A I N O D E S
KOVAH_ehT | HT.S |  [developer] Jun 1, 2018 @ 9:20am 
not adding or updating this map cuz its old and i have better things to do, i didnt optimise it at all because i wanted to get it out fast, if you understand anything about visleafs then the whole map is basically func_detail full vvis not fast. the map used to have ai nodes but i deleted them because again, fast. i might fix the garrage doors soon though.
Jimmy Liquidity  [developer] Jun 1, 2018 @ 12:29pm 
Originally posted by KOVAH_ehT | HT.S |:
not adding or updating this map cuz its old and i have better things to do, i didnt optimise it at all because i wanted to get it out fast, if you understand anything about visleafs then the whole map is basically func_detail full vvis not fast. the map used to have ai nodes but i deleted them because again, fast. i might fix the garrage doors soon though.
ayy
Last edited by Jimmy Liquidity; Jun 1, 2018 @ 12:29pm
wolfrcats Jun 1, 2018 @ 5:10pm 
I'm wanting to see trail dirt roads and pavement roads somewhere
Vuthakral Jun 1, 2018 @ 8:17pm 
Oof. But fair enough, I understand.
ellis3246 Jun 2, 2018 @ 1:36pm 
can the dam be destructable to the point where if its fully destroyed it floods the map and kinda emptys the dam
KOVAH_ehT | HT.S |  [developer] Jun 2, 2018 @ 1:55pm 
Not how source works
Sanders Jun 24, 2018 @ 6:34pm 
so you dont wanna fix the dam map even though you made it ? well thats just lazy
KOVAH_ehT | HT.S |  [developer] Jun 24, 2018 @ 7:07pm 
yea im so lazy because im busy with other more important things
Sanders Jun 26, 2018 @ 2:28pm 
i dont mean like your lazy lol i ment its just anoying that the doors and the rocks don't show up........
Atravist Sep 19, 2018 @ 12:55am 
i dont like the building that can be found in downton rp map, the one used in darkrp, that building is used for gun selling, i think it doesnt belong in the map, maybe a better building like a self created? but other than that the map is great!
Last edited by Atravist; Sep 19, 2018 @ 12:55am
Meme Oct 29, 2018 @ 8:29am 
The map needs beter lighting, specifically in the buildings. the lighting was fine on b12, but this is a little dark, and the "light" tool is no help at all. the water is shallow as well.
Mantha Sep 11, 2020 @ 1:00pm 
This is still a very dim map. I have to crank up my monitor brightness just to see things in the distance.
Euno May 23, 2023 @ 3:03pm 
I just need those damn window textures fixed! I tried mat_specular 0 in console.
Still didn't work. :(
< >
Showing 1-15 of 16 comments
Per page: 1530 50