Railway Empire

Railway Empire

Railway Empire Workshop
Share your self built maps amongst other players or download their built maps.
Learn More
kingbeandip 1 Aug 10, 2021 @ 10:25am
Locomotive Stats
For anyone else wondering, WB is Maintenance Requirements. Also, for trains fully loaded with freight, if an engine has the EXPRESS qualification, its speed will be multiplied by 0.6. ALLROUNDER is multiplied by 0.8.

-AxleArrangement: Displays engine layout (eg. 4-4-0, 2-6-6-2, etc.); no gameplay effect
-GravitationFactor: How much the locomotive is affected by gravity. 1.0 is normal, less than 1 is more affected, greater than 1 is less affected.
-LocEnergyMax: Tractive Power (appears to be affected by something else as well)
-Qualification: Speed multiplier for freight
-Mass: Weight of the engine. It appears that the engine's LocEnergyMax has to accelerate both the mass of the engine plus the mass of the load.
-Reliability: 1.23 = 123%
-TenderAsset: Model for the tender. Can be replaced with any tender or locomotive model. (I haven't tried rolling stock.)
-Turn: 1.0 is unaffected by turns. Values less than 1 cause the train to slow down on turns.
-WB: Maintenance Requirements: Higher is worse.

As an aside, the ENGINE_POWER technology increases engine power primarily, and slightly increases engine speed as a secondary effect.
Last edited by kingbeandip; Aug 12, 2021 @ 11:13am
< >
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
gardlt 4 Aug 10, 2021 @ 5:58pm 
Hmm, what do you mean with those modifiers? Is a Express engine with 40mph top speed, slower than a Mixed engine with 40mph top speed? Have any in-game proof?
kingbeandip 1 Aug 12, 2021 @ 11:05am 
Yes, an express engine pulling freight is slower than an identical freight engine pulling freight. It depends on how many freight cars there are. So if 3 engines with a top speed of 40mph and identical power are pulling 8 freight cars, the FREIGHT engine will top out at 40mph on level ground, the ALLROUNDER at 32, and the EXPRESS at 24. I noticed this while balancing engine stats. I was getting some weird behavior, then changed that one flag (that was the only change I made) from EXPRESS to FREIGHT and the train got much faster.

Also interestingly, power only seems to affect acceleration and climbing—not top speed on level ground, no matter how much load. Engine mass also affects acceleration (more mass means worse). This game doesn't appear to simulate any frictional losses from the train cars, so the game uses the method I described above to force express trains to run slower when pulling freight. Not very intuitive.
Last edited by kingbeandip; Aug 12, 2021 @ 11:07am
gardlt 4 Aug 12, 2021 @ 10:14pm 
Good info. In my current game, with max upgrades I have a choice of Fairlie, freight @ 43mph, vs Limmat, mixed at 48mph. Most of the runs are deadhead return. Crude theoretical efficiency from achieved speed is quite similar Fairlie: 2*(48/43) = 2.23, Limmat: load/empty (1/0.8) + 1 = 2.25. In important aspects like reliability and acceleration, the Limmat has a slight edge. So I went with it. In true strategic fashion I can't be 100% sure it's the right choice. :)

PS. I fiddled with the weight settings to adjust acceleration for my first effort at a scenario not long after the game came out.
Thineboot Nov 28, 2021 @ 1:34pm 
Why are you hiding this great find in a workshop thread?

A short test: Sandbox, 1910-1930, 8 Grain to Toledo
Engine Suitability Speed 8 cars % Texas Freight 90 92 102.2% Old Maude Freight 70 71 101.4% Mallet Freight 75 76 101.3% Mikado Freight 80 81 101.3% Santa Fe Mixed 103 90 87.4% Berkshire Mixed 98 85 86.7% Super Hudson Express 130 92 70.8% EMD E-unit Express 140 96 68.6% Hudson Express 120 82 68.3%
Since R&D is deactivated a short check in Free mode: same results for Old Maude.

Definitely needs a closer look at the numbers, database and in-game.
gardlt 4 Nov 28, 2021 @ 2:12pm 
Better question: why did the devs hide it in the game code?

This section isn't hidden and the author made the most unique custom map so far: definitely worth trying. This info is most needed by people who try to mod engine stats. Those people will probably look here first. :)
Thineboot Nov 28, 2021 @ 2:30pm 
Maybe so that we can find new stuff even years after release ;)

Hidden in the sense of you have to explicitly subscribe the Workshop Discussions to see it in "new comments". There is only so much you can watch on a constant base. It was pure luck that I check in and saw a meaningful topic that caught my eyes :)

Apocalypse Railway, yes, definitely will check it out :steamthumbsup:
kingbeandip 1 Nov 28, 2021 @ 4:29pm 
I would gladly post elsewhere, but I haven't found any other place the community calls home. But yeah, it is weird that the devs did it this way and never explained the mechanic at all.
< >
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
Per page: 1530 50