This topic has been locked
Steam playing random audio?
I was just minding my business when all of a sudden some random audio started playing on my computer. I thought it was from my browser, but after I closed out all other programs it kept playing. It had to be steam. Sure enough, after exiting steam it stopped. Has anyone else experienced this?

I listened to the audio for a bit before exiting though to try to figure out what it was. It was...Richard Nixon talking about the watergate scandal?

EDIT: I looked it up and there's been reports of steam playing random game audio at times, but not any audio like this.

I've also done virus scan and malware scans, and came up with nothing.
< >
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
Fork_Q2 Mar 19, 2014 @ 2:27pm 
Don't worry, it does not sound serious, possibly just schizophrenia on your part.
Originally posted by Fork_Q:
Don't worry, it does not sound serious, possibly just schizophrenia on your part.

Not funny, considering I actually have schizophrenia :L

But I know for a fact this isn't related to it.
Black Blade Mar 19, 2014 @ 4:58pm 
well first of all do you have "Richard Nixon talking about the watergate scandal" someone on your PC?
If so maybe you some how active Steam Music or something? by pressing something
Originally posted by Black Blade (Study again \(-.-)/:
well first of all do you have "Richard Nixon talking about the watergate scandal" someone on your PC?
If so maybe you some how active Steam Music or something? by pressing something

If you mean a file on my PC, then no.
Black Blade Mar 19, 2014 @ 5:03pm 
Then i really have no clue what happen by you XD
Sounds super odd... all i can think is or a ISO is messing around or you had a 1 in a 1000000 bug :D: hope fully not going to happen again
Kenjamin Jul 28, 2014 @ 12:13am 
The same thing just happened to me. I was laying in bed and all of a sudden my pc started playing audio. I checked chrome and ended the process, but it still kept playing. It was an advertisement against a Wisconsin politician, which is where I live. Then it started an Australian gaming podcast and I had no idea where this audio was coming from. I then ended the Steam task, getting ready to then go through other tasks, ending them one by one until the audio stopped, but as soon as I ended Steam, that was it. Scared the hell out of me at first.
spaceboy Jul 28, 2014 @ 1:58am 
Were you in a game server, like idling on a TF2 server? This happens to me all the time on certain TF2 servers that run Pinion ads. Usually it's just once every so often, but this one time it just kept running the same set of commercials back to back non-stop, and it was a weird variety of stuff not targeted to gamers, like cooking shows and stuff.

I also had another strange thing happen at the same time, the guides section in the overlay window started showing gudies for baking bread and other cooking stuff. Totally bizarre. Imagine my surprise when I open the overlay and I'm face to face with a fat loaf of multi grain whole wheat. lol
Originally posted by spaceboy:
I also had another strange thing happen at the same time, the guides section in the overlay window started showing gudies for baking bread and other cooking stuff. Totally bizarre. Imagine my surprise when I open the overlay and I'm face to face with a fat loaf of multi grain whole wheat. lol

Can u link us to a guide shown by that issue? Could it be a silly guide made by a Steam user for the Love & War update, aka BREAD update.. ?
¨\(~_~)/¨meh Nov 20, 2015 @ 3:32am 
I have the same problem. The xbox 360 startup sound randomly plays on my computer allthough I am not doing anything and browser is closed, plus lat time it hapened (about 1 hour ago) not even Steam was on.
same thing happening to me and i know its not a virus because i just got my computer and haven't downloaded anything other than steam and google crome.I close every app/tab that is open as well with steam. But whenever i decide to shut off my computer it says steam is running.

Is there a fix??
Katie Apr 13 @ 12:51pm 
This thread was quite old before the recent post, so we're locking it to prevent confusion.
< >
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Mar 19, 2014 @ 2:12pm