Patient Feb 19, 2014 @ 5:09pm
How do fix Error Code -7?
I recently noticed that Steam would not open when I attempted to launch it. Because of this, I tried to uninstall then reinstall. I opened the new, reinstalled Steam, but it only says "Error Code: -7 Failed to load web page (unknown error)." when I try to go to the store, my profile or anything else. Any suggestions on how to fix this would be greatly appreciated.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 24 comments
Ninjabutter Feb 19, 2014 @ 5:11pm 
Do you mean you get this message in the Steam browser window, or somewhere else (like a pop-up warning, etc.)?
Patient Feb 19, 2014 @ 5:13pm 
Originally posted by Ninjabutter:
Do you mean you get this message in the Steam browser window, or somewhere else (like a pop-up warning, etc.)?

It's an error message in the Steam program. It just shows up where the store, for example, would normally be. It also pops up when I try to look at my friends list.
Ninjabutter Feb 19, 2014 @ 5:19pm 
Ah ok, I wondered since it had a "failed to load web page" error.

This link was for addressing a slightly different error, but I didn't find anything for error #7 specifically, so if you have nothing better to do, it might be worthwhile to see if this helps you - http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1797408
Patient Feb 19, 2014 @ 5:20pm 
Originally posted by Ninjabutter:
Ah ok, I wondered since it had a "failed to load web page" error.

This link was for addressing a slightly different error, but I didn't find anything for error #7 specifically, so if you have nothing better to do, it might be worthwhile to see if this helps you - http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1797408

I will give it a try. Thanks!
Patient Feb 19, 2014 @ 5:23pm 
Unfortunately, that didn't work. Steam actually won't open now.
Azza ☠ Feb 19, 2014 @ 5:23pm 
Check your firewall ports are open for Steam:
http://firebind.org/tests/steam

Patient Feb 19, 2014 @ 6:01pm 
I tried to do the test for the firewall but that didn't work. I don't think it's a problem with my firewall though, because I have had my virus protection software for a while and it hasn't caused issues with Steam before.
HEL-VR Jul 25, 2018 @ 4:19pm 
So did anyone find a solution?
The Giving One Jul 25, 2018 @ 4:23pm 
Originally posted by Is Someone There?:
This thread is almost 4 years old, so there surely have been some topics where users have had this error since then also.

And I did a forum search and surely some of those can help you also :

"Error Code: -7 Failed to load web page (unknown error)."

https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/search/?gidforum=882959061466924237&include_deleted=1&q=%22Error+Code%3A+-7+Failed+to+load+web+page+%28unknown+error%29.%22
HEL-VR Jul 25, 2018 @ 5:02pm 
Originally posted by The Giving One:
Originally posted by Is Someone There?:
This thread is almost 4 years old, so there surely have been some topics where users have had this error since then also.

And I did a forum search and surely some of those can help you also :

"Error Code: -7 Failed to load web page (unknown error)."

https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/search/?gidforum=882959061466924237&include_deleted=1&q=%22Error+Code%3A+-7+Failed+to+load+web+page+%28unknown+error%29.%22

Thank you very much but i think ive fixed the error :)
HEL-VR Jul 25, 2018 @ 5:11pm 
For anyone that needs help this is how i fixed it :

First of all uninstall steam.

you can do this by pressings tart and typing "apps and features" then search for steam and uninstall. If you have multiple directories delete them all.

Then Go to your Settings > Network & Internet > Network Reset (on the bottom of screen)

The Network reset will take 5 or so minutes where all of your network drivers will be uninstalled, reset and updated. I then re-installed Steam and no longer had the error.

Further things you can do if this does not work:

Check if the firewall has allowed steam by going to; Update & Security > Windows Security > Firewall and Network Protection > Allow an app through Firewall - search for Steam and make sure its enabled on both private and public.

One more thing you can do is update your windows as you could have had an error during installation or update.

Go to Settings > Update & Security > Check for updates - this will automatically initalize, download and install all required updates, do not interupt this as it can cause fatal errors. Furthermore it will require a restart that will install the update properly.

This is all i can do to help i struggled really hard to find a solution as this error seems to be very rare but i know how frustrating it is to do this as ive been searching for information the entire day to fix, and thought that someone would love to find this all in one message. I will post this message on other forums and wish you luck on fixing <3
The Giving One Jul 25, 2018 @ 5:13pm 
Don't forget to always include the suggestion to save or backup the steamapps folder, because if you don't, and users follow your exact steps, all their games will be uninstalled.

Just on that note of your suggestion above. Thanks.
Spring Stab Man Jul 25, 2018 @ 5:45pm 
Originally posted by The Giving One:
Don't forget to always include the suggestion to save or backup the steamapps folder, because if you don't, and users follow your exact steps, all their games will be uninstalled.

Just on that note of your suggestion above. Thanks.
You da real MVP
Spring Stab Man Jul 25, 2018 @ 6:08pm 
Hey i'm still having trouble, so i uninstalled steam and did everything you said but it still has the error code Error Code: -118
Failed to load web page (unknown error).
Last edited by Spring Stab Man; Jul 25, 2018 @ 6:11pm
Spring Stab Man Jul 25, 2018 @ 6:09pm 
And i had to download steam through my Tor browser cause internet explorer or chrome didn't let me go to the website
Last edited by Spring Stab Man; Jul 25, 2018 @ 6:09pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 24 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Feb 19, 2014 @ 5:09pm