P_TuSangLui Apr 17, 2016 @ 9:41am
Windows can not find 'C:\Steam\steam.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and try again
I just recently upgrade my Window from 7 to 10 and reinstall Steam. However, when I try to run Steam.exe I encoter this message: "Windows can not find 'C:\Steam\steam.exe'. Make sure you typed the name correctly, and try again"

There are 2 folder in my steam directory. They are 'bin' and 'public'. I also have steam.exe and uninstall.exe. I had tried /install on steamservice.exe but it isn't working. Adding Path variable isn't working either.

Please help.
< >
Showing 16-29 of 29 comments
The Giving One Apr 19, 2016 @ 2:00pm 
@Isuzu D Max

No worries, friend. At least you reported back as to what you did to fix the problem, it seems. That can perhaps help others that come across your thread here and your solution, and helps to remind all of us that infections such as the one you described can cause this problem.

Glad you are sorted out there it seems, thanks for replying as to what you did, and good luck to you always.
Exanima Apr 9, 2018 @ 9:20pm 
I installed "Registry Recycler" Fixed issues and steam works
aeldron May 11, 2019 @ 4:32pm 
If anyone else bumps into this problem. I also had issues after uninstalling Avast, not just with steam.exe but lots of other exes as well. Neither malwarebyte nor Registry Recycler fixed it.

The solution that worked for me was this:
https://community.teamviewer.com/t5/Previous-versions-EN/Cannot-open-teamviewer-13-Windows-cannot-find-C-Program-Files/td-p/34713

Run regedit
Go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options

expand the list and delete the entry for steam.exe and any other software you're having issues with.

And never install Avast ever again.
Rolo Aug 22, 2019 @ 1:42pm 
Originally posted by aeldron:
If anyone else bumps into this problem. I also had issues after uninstalling Avast, not just with steam.exe but lots of other exes as well. Neither malwarebyte nor Registry Recycler fixed it.

https://community.teamviewer.com/t5/Previous-versions-EN/Cannot-open-teamviewer-13-Windows-cannot-find-C-Program-Files/td-p/34713

Run regedit
Go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options

expand the list and delete the entry for steam.exe and any other software you're having issues with.

Hey big thanks. This was this was exactly my problem. wasted hours on system restores and registry cleaners. Youre a lifesaver :)
DaChicharon Jun 4, 2020 @ 11:38am 
Originally posted by PridePlayer:

Run regedit
Go to:

Hey big thanks. This was this was exactly my problem. wasted hours on system restores and registry cleaners. Youre a lifesaver :)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So I just went through this entire post and did all the troubleshooting tips to fix the issue and COMPLETELY missed one detail on the fix using the regedit manually....... Saw right in the HKEY path for steam.exe that it was running through AVAST even after I had uninstalled it!

Thanks everyone for the effort here as I FINALLY got my machine to run Steam again....!!!!
You guys are all super awesome and keep up the good work and I agree with aeldron with what he said about;

"Never install Avast ever again!"
Last edited by DaChicharon; Jun 4, 2020 @ 11:40am
RomeO Jun 9, 2020 @ 8:17pm 
The start up Icon's name has been changed by some stupid reason. All you have to do to make it work is Change the name to Steam.exe and you are in. the file was rename for no ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥ reason. I hope you find the solution.
RomeO Jun 9, 2020 @ 8:26pm 
Go to C/ Program filesx86/ steam/ scroll down you will see two steam Icons One is just an Icon the other one is the startup they are both TYPE application. In my case the startup was changed to Steamsetup1. I changed this for Steam.exe, and now It is finally working. bad thing.. That I uninstalled Steam and all my games. I am installing everything all over again. I hope I was able to help.
Prelate Jun 9, 2020 @ 8:42pm 
Originally posted by RomeO:
Go to C/ Program filesx86/ steam/ scroll down you will see two steam Icons One is just an Icon the other one is the startup they are both TYPE application. In my case the startup was changed to Steamsetup1. I changed this for Steam.exe, and now It is finally working. bad thing.. That I uninstalled Steam and all my games. I am installing everything all over again. I hope I was able to help.

YOU ARE A SAINT. This worked perfectly. I didn't have to uninstall anything. Thank you so much. <3
Lime1 Jun 10, 2020 @ 8:16am 
The lesson is remove Avast and use malwarebytes
-steam should give us an antivirus for GAMERS-
Last edited by Lime1; Jun 10, 2020 @ 8:18am
KiddiJr Jun 10, 2020 @ 10:06am 

Run regedit
Go to:

Thank you so much!
Bluebeard Jun 10, 2020 @ 2:16pm 
Originally posted by KiddiJr:

Run regedit
Go to:

Thank you so much!
Sorted this out for me - thanks!
spacereceiver Jun 10, 2020 @ 2:37pm 
Had the same problem. I uninstalled steam than instaled in other location and it works.
DhmoodD Jun 11, 2020 @ 9:55am 

Run regedit
Go to:

thanks for the last two days i had this problem and this is the only thing that worked
76561198873100959 Feb 15, 2022 @ 11:05pm 

{LINK REMOVED}

Run regedit
Go to:

Dudeee:steamsad: brooooooo you really saved not only my steam but my few more applications and my data in them cause i thought i did had to uninstall and reinstall these applications then i had to download all the gmaes/ software i had in them you saved my time soooo much love lifesaver
< >
Showing 16-29 of 29 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Apr 17, 2016 @ 9:41am