ripmeoff Jun 15, 2017 @ 2:31pm
Another Steam update - ONCE AGAIN getting error code 3!
I bought Civ5 way back in 2011. It ran fine yesterday.
Stream made an update in the last 24 hours, and now it WON'T RUN! I get the totally misidentified (as steam servers too busy) ERROR CODE 3.

WHY DO I PERIODICALLY HAVE TO GO THROUGH THIS CRAP?????

The lack-of-support section of steam says to "Please make sure that Steam and all Steam games are listed as exceptions in these programs." Fine. I found the exclusions page of my McAfee Anti-Virus, but WTH do I put in there??? The internet URL? They give no explanation.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 50 comments
Hitman82 Jun 15, 2017 @ 5:33pm 
I have this problem as well, it's not just Civ V, XCOM has the same error. Both Firaxis titles, don't know if that matters.
The Giving One Jun 15, 2017 @ 5:56pm 
Problem is, McAfee is garbage, and may have child processes that are not disabled if the parent program is disabled or exclusions made.

To further illustrate this, it does not even like to be uninstalled using normal methods, depending on your version. (has been known to leave behind one or two childs after the parent is uninstalled)

From this post...

http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/135509823657765073/?ctp=3#c135509823664302785

McAfee Product Removal Tool

https://service.mcafee.com/webcenter/portal/cp/home/articleview;jsessionid=mWFvrUrzN1D-DJkK2u2uVu7xu3vzum8Ksl4Nhen2lhc_2yRiU_EP!1801083531!-53234356?articleId=TS101331&_afrLoop=1845365062456321#!%40%40%3F_afrLoop%3D1845365062456321%26articleId%3DTS101331%26centerWidth%3D100%2525%26leftWidth%3D0%2525%26rightWidth%3D0%2525%26showFooter%3Dfalse%26showHeader%3Dfalse%26_adf.ctrl-state%3D146ndytf2b_4

EDIT...

The support page also has other methods to try listed there.....

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9828-SFLZ-9289

Anti-Virus Applications - Any Anti-Virus program could potentially block Steam and Steam game access, especially when not properly configured for use with Steam. Please make sure that Steam and all Steam games are listed as exceptions in these programs. If the issue persists, please try disabling or temporarily uninstalling the program to test the issue.

Always reboot after uninstalling, then verify the game files as here......

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=2037-QEUH-3335
Last edited by The Giving One; Jun 15, 2017 @ 6:00pm
Hitman82 Jun 15, 2017 @ 8:40pm 
I'm not using McAfee (I have AVG), but the problem is the same on my desktop and laptop, both occurred with the current patch. Looking through the links you provided, The Giving One, I'd say that Steam doesn't like *name any application you can think of* and blames it for the problem.
The Giving One Jun 15, 2017 @ 8:53pm 
Hitman82 Jun 15, 2017 @ 10:09pm 
Originally posted by The Giving One:
AVG is in bold and with a green symbol...

and seen here many times to cause issues with Steam and games for other users.

Some examples.....

I appreciate your help and apologize if I'm hijacking this thread, I could start another if that's appropriate.

I've read all of those examples, but I have this problem with several games, not just one. Some games such as Gal Civ 3 still run fine in offline mode, I suspect it has its own DRM. Is there any point in verifying each game when they run fine in online mode? Is the problem not the Steam client itself?

I have a desktop PC and a laptop. I get the same error as the OP when trying to launch a game in offline mode, everything works fine while online. The problem started this morning on both machines (I discovered it on the desktop while troubleshooting the laptop). Both machines have AVG Free 17.4.3014. I have a couple of apps from the "other" category but not the same ones on both computers, and no others with the green symbol, so I'd assume it's a problem between AVG and Steam.

I've added the Steam folder to exceptions in AVG, do I uninstall/reinstall Steam (moving steamapps out of the folder of course) to hopefully fix the problem?

TLDR: I can log on and play fine on either computer if in online mode, the problem is in offline mode for both machines. I have AVG on both, and the problem started with the latest Steam update.
The Giving One Jun 15, 2017 @ 10:17pm 
@HITMAN82

I cannot say AVG is your exact problem. But it is a possibility. When troubleshooting using proper process of elimination as the method, removing known possibilites is the first step. Then, if needed, you move on to unknown possibilities.

AVG is a known possibility. So, uninstall it, then reboot the computer. Then verify the game files after that reboot.

And as to exceptions, I see that said here all the time, where users do that and still have issues. Problem is, some antivirus programs have child processes that still cause issues with Steam, even if exceptions in the parent antivirus are made, or where the parent antivirus is disabled.

So, uninstall then reboot, then verify.

One example I can name off the top of my head is Norton Online Back up, just as an example with Norton Antivirus. These childs are still running if the parent is disabled or exceptions are made, depending on the antivirus.

AVG has always been in bold and with a green symbol on that list. It says what to do in the troubleshooting process with AVG on that listed page.....further down.......

* We recommend that applications listed in bold with a ( * ) symbol are fully uninstalled from your system if disabling them does not resolve the issue.

Again, I cannot say for sure that is your problem. But it is a known possibility.

EDIT...Pretty sure AVG has a child such as "AVG Protection". You can see this in msconfig under services or startup tab. This user seems to have had that going on, or it was an older version feature of AVG.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/730/discussions/0/364042063114127030/#c364042262879377617

I cannot say, as I never use any antivirus programs from that list.

EDIT 2....Interestingly enough, his screenshots are still up on imgur....

http://imgur.com/imLAbO7

See the child there ? AVG Protection is seperate from AVG itself.
Last edited by The Giving One; Jun 15, 2017 @ 10:47pm
RedLightning Jun 15, 2017 @ 10:18pm 
Originally posted by HITMAN82:
AVG is in bold and with a green symbol...

and seen here many times to cause issues with Steam and games for other users.

Some examples.....

I appreciate your help and apologize if I'm hijacking this thread, I could start another if that's appropriate.

I've read all of those examples, but I have this problem with several games, not just one. Some games such as Gal Civ 3 still run fine in offline mode, I suspect it has its own DRM. Is there any point in verifying each game when they run fine in online mode? Is the problem not the Steam client itself?

I have a desktop PC and a laptop. I get the same error as the OP when trying to launch a game in offline mode, everything works fine while online. The problem started this morning on both machines (I discovered it on the desktop while troubleshooting the laptop). Both machines have AVG Free 17.4.3014. I have a couple of apps from the "other" category but not the same ones on both computers, and no others with the green symbol, so I'd assume it's a problem between AVG and Steam.

I've added the Steam folder to exceptions in AVG, do I uninstall/reinstall Steam (moving steamapps out of the folder of course) to hopefully fix the problem?

TLDR: I can log on and play fine on either computer if in online mode, the problem is in offline mode for both machines. I have AVG on both, and the problem started with the latest Steam update.

You would think that if it was the antivirus software it would not work at all ..
The Giving One Jun 15, 2017 @ 10:27pm 
According to OP, Steam is not working, in fact.
Originally posted by ripmeoff:
Stream made an update in the last 24 hours, and now it WON'T RUN!
So his McAfee is still a known possibility.

EDIT..Unless he was referring to Civ 5 there, as that could be viewed as a bit confusing. Still, McAfee is a known possibility.
Last edited by The Giving One; Jun 15, 2017 @ 10:29pm
Hitman82 Jun 15, 2017 @ 10:47pm 
@HITMAN82

I cannot say AVG is your exact problem. But it is a possibility. When troubleshooting using proper process of elimination as the method, removing known possibilites is the first step. Then, if needed, you move on to unknown possibilities.

AVG is a known possibility. So, uninstall it, then reboot the computer. Then verify the game files after that reboot.

And as to exceptions, I see that said here all the time, where users do that and still have issues. Problem is, some antivirus programs have child processes that still cause issues with Steam, even if exceptions in the parent antivirus are made, or where the parent antivirus is disabled.

So, uninstall then reboot, then verify.

One example I can name off the top of my head is Norton Online Back up, just as an example with Norton Antivirus. These childs are still running if the parent is disabled or exceptions are made, depending on the antivirus.

AVG has always been in bold and with a green symbol on that list. It says what to do in the troubleshooting process with AVG on that listed page.....further down.......

* We recommend that applications listed in bold with a ( * ) symbol are fully uninstalled from your system if disabling them does not resolve the issue.

Again, I cannot say for sure that is your problem. But it is a known possibility.

Thanks for your quick reply! I've been troubleshooting PC hardware and software problems for over 20 years, some of that professionally. I'm very fortunate that the problem is repeatable on both computers. Before I go uninstalling things, I'm trying to nail down what the problem is so I don't create a bigger problem.

The games run fine when online, but not when offline. The same games work/don't work on both computers. How will removing AVG and verifying game files solve this problem? What is the Steam client trying to do when offline? I'm suspicious that it's Steam's DRM that is the problem, possibly broken by AVG. Since I'm making assumptions, I'll go one further and assume Steam makes a copy of a key or registration of the game(s) locally, and somehow that was messed up with this latest update. If this is the case, backing up my steamapps folder, disabling AVG and reinstalling Steam should fix the problem, right?
The Giving One Jun 15, 2017 @ 10:50pm 
Please see my edits above in the post that you just quoted. Sorry, but I just did that and you should take a look.

No, you do NOT need to uninstall/reinstall Steam yet. Making a backup of steamapps is fine, while troubleshooting this problem.

Thing is, even where you have been using programs for a long time, new conflicts can still come up with Steam. If it runs in the background, it needs to be looked at and considered. Depending on the process and/or program of course.

EDIT..AVG Protection "could" be your problem, as to the offline or online difference you explained above. And there can be other possible software conflicts that can be related to that. We can continue down that road after you decide on AVG.

EDIT 2..Have to go now, but will check the thread tomorrow. Sorry, and thanks for the kind words from all here that applies to. Good luck until then. Feel free to post if my suggestions did help, or you need further assistance. Others in the community may help also.
Last edited by The Giving One; Jun 15, 2017 @ 11:10pm
Hitman82 Jun 16, 2017 @ 1:16am 
Spent hours on this today to no avail.

Removed AVG and Steam, rebooted, installed Steam, rebooted, verified Civ V files, launched game online successfully. Switched to offline mode, still error code 3. Restarted PC again, tried again, still no go. Very few processes running, none are on the list, all are accounted for.

Have reinstalled AVG (I have stuff to do on the internet on that computer in the morning), I excluded Steam folder and tried running Civ in online mode, worked fine, still no joy in offline mode.

I didn't touch the registry, may give that a go tomorrow. Hoping to wake up and find Steam fixed their client and I've only wasted one day. Thanks for your help!
Phil Jun 16, 2017 @ 1:30am 
Apologies if I should start a new thread, but I seem to be experiencing the same issues. I'll post my attempts to help isolate the issue, still no solution unfortunately.

Thur morning, played Football Manager 16 offline with no problems.
Thur evening, got the errorcode (3) message when playing offline.

- online play works fine, offline gives the error despite the following changes:
- re-installed steam client
- added steam to antivirus exclusions
- uninstalled antivirus, restarted laptop (with no active antivirus) and still same issue.
- verified game files

curiously all 3 Football Manager games I have are affected (16, 15, 14). i played 16 & 15 recently...
all other steam games work fine in offline mode.

I'm no techie but to me it suggests:
- its not the antivirus as it still occurred with it uninstalled. could be firewall though?
- its not Steam client. i reinstalled, and it only affects FM games.
- its not steam servers that are busy as it works fine online.

another thing i noticed is that as my laptop restarted steam tried to update which it never used to do, could that be relevant?
Last edited by Phil; Jun 16, 2017 @ 1:31am
Hitman82 Jun 16, 2017 @ 8:55am 
Looks like the same problem northphilip83 so I'd say it's relevant to the discussion. What antivirus are/were you using? Is anyone out there able to run XCOM, Civ V or Football Manager 14,15,16 offline? This is just screaming "broken Steam client DRM" unless others are able to run these games offline.

Edit: Asked a friend to test this, Civ V had the same error, SM Railroads and Slimerancher did work though, I'd assume those two are not using Steam DRM. She's using MS Security Essentials antivirus.
Last edited by Hitman82; Jun 16, 2017 @ 9:19am
Phil Jun 16, 2017 @ 11:20am 
I was using Avast antivirus... thanks for the reply, hopefully its a Steam client issue that they can resolve.

just a correction, I only tried FM 16 & 15, I meant to try 14 but didnt get round to it...
Last edited by Phil; Jun 16, 2017 @ 11:21am
NyxBSomethinTTV Jun 16, 2017 @ 1:01pm 
My civ 5 is also doing this (yay -_-)
Thing is though, my computer has not been online for almost /a month/. So.... maybe on don't follow how steam updates work??? But it literally hasn't been online for like two weeks at least.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 50 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Jun 15, 2017 @ 2:31pm