This topic has been locked
Puttonih Apr 21, 2020 @ 9:18am
Illegal purchase | Don't fall into it
Hello!

I just found out that there's new type of scam. This man said:

"I'm having a hard time to confess it to you, I hope you don't get mad Because I accidentally reported you for doing illegal purchased instead of someone else the admin said your account will be permanently suspended"

I asked then who is this admin and he linked suspicious looking link, asked then "did you add him?"
I then asked what kind of purchase...he didn't aswered.

This is 100% scam, do not fall into it! You're best option is just ignoring him / blocking and reporting.

Share this message and be careful...scammers are the worst!
Last edited by Puttonih; Apr 21, 2020 @ 9:43am
Originally posted by crunchyfrog:
Originally posted by Miss Ann Thrope:
If somebody told me that they'd accidentally reported me for something I did not do, I'd simply shrug and carry on with my day. A false report is not my problem.

Originally posted by Kargor:
Random invites have gone down quite a bit, though -- they rarely happen anymore. No idea what changed, though.

Probably the limit of 30 friend requests per week, that was introduced to cut down on spam.

This. I wish this straight up thinking were more widely spread.

Being reported means NOTHING if you haven't done anything. A report is a RIGHT everyone has, but the actual penalties are based on EVIDENCE.

That's the whole point.

So, NEVER EVER be worried about being reported unless you know you're doing something you shouldn't. It ALWAYS works on evidence, ALWAYS.

Kudos for pointing this out.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 50 comments
FFL2and3rocks Apr 21, 2020 @ 9:20am 
This is nothing new. Don't log in to third-party websites like the one in your name history. Your account may be compromised, and they want you to make a trade to a friend so they can redirect the trade to a different account.
Last edited by FFL2and3rocks; Apr 21, 2020 @ 9:21am
cSg|mc-Hotsauce Apr 21, 2020 @ 9:22am 
Your PSA will be overlooked just as much as the last 5,000 PSA's about this that users posted this year alone that you did not see.

:qr:
J4MESOX4D Apr 21, 2020 @ 9:26am 
Just because you haven't heard of it doesn't mean it's 'new'. This scam must be a couple of years old and there's probably 100 threads a day pop up.

Rule number one of Steam; there are no admins either. The more scam sites you visit, the more scam attempts you will invite or worse.
Puttonih Apr 21, 2020 @ 9:45am 
It's new to me. I'll update post headline.
nullable Apr 21, 2020 @ 9:50am 
Originally posted by Puttonih:
It's new to me. I'll update post headline.

A forum search of "accidentally reported" would provide some interesting results. If you don't post on these forums regularly, and otherwise aren't involved with scams every day, it's not surprising that it's new to you. I suspect most users are unaware of most scams being run on Steam so it would all seem new to them when they first encounter it. Problem often tends to be people assume that they'd know about older, long running scams. Why people assume that I'm not sure. Probably don't like the idea that they're ignorant about some specific thing no one really them to have specific knowledge about, like "everybody knows that", when they don't. But human beings are weird that way.
Last edited by nullable; Apr 21, 2020 @ 9:50am
757av8er Apr 21, 2020 @ 10:16am 
I hadn't heard of it. Thank You
I probably wouldn't have fallen for it but you never know.
Brimzel Apr 21, 2020 @ 10:25am 
Originally posted by Puttonih:
I accidentally reported you
Not really new. You'll find a bunch of people that still fall for it in this forum...

People have a hard time reading pinned threads as it is, imagine an unpinned one that'll get buried eventually...
crunchyfrog Apr 21, 2020 @ 12:22pm 
And this is the second "hey watch out for this new type of scam (that isn't)" today.

I'm not having a go at you OP, but we get at least one a day and that has been going on YEARS. These are not new scams. Far from it.

Furthermore, why I'm being tongue in cheek is simple - while your goal is altruistic it DOESN'T WORK.

The number of people who read these forums is absolutely TINY. A fraction of a fraction of 1%.
On top of that many don't read - don't take this the wrong way but YOU didn't, otherwise you'd notice the stickies explaining this already.

And you know what the effect of all these posts for years are? NONE.

SO sorry, but you're shouting into the void.
I didn't know about this scam. it happened to me tonight. The user crook who said he had reported is UnderPressure. sent me back to the user (steam!) Mr.Jones(Official). can you confirm that it is a scam? Will I have consequences now?

I'll post the chats=
UnderPressure:
Im so sorry i made a mistake and it involves your steam acc

[02:21]
CompleteTempestaDiAcciaio✠:
?

[02:22]
UnderPressure:
This is what happened, Because recently I accidentally reported your account for doing illegal purchased instead of someone else and the admin said your account will be suspended

[02:25]
1) it cannot be sufficient to make a report to suspend an account without proof. it is madness2) you must warn that you are wrong3) next time, be careful

UnderPressure:
I used steam ticket man
I'm sorry I tried to tell him that it was a mistake profile ID but he wants you to appeal, can you please help me to explain to him?

[02:28]
I don't know these things (stema ticket man) and I don't even care. they can't do anything without evidence. anyway, what the ♥♥♥♥ am i supposed to do?

[02:29]
UnderPressure:
Ok that's him add him and explain that I report you it was accidentally only please help me to clarify on him I don't know what to do if you will get banned https://steamcommunity.com/id/SteamSupportJones

[02:53]
thanks man. this of steam wants me to prove my innocence to him, and it's not clear how. Certainly I will not give him password and money, so if you are cheating me you will not see 1 euro anyway, and no password. If it is not a scam, we are raping the law: you report and I must prove my innocence, not he who must verify the truth. Thank you very much, thank you very much.

[02:56]
UnderPressure:
Okok

Good day Steam User
This account is detected for doing Illegal Purchase(s)

This account has been flagged by Steam Support for the theft of other user's Steam accounts. This activity is a violation of the Terms of Service Agreement. Account functionality will automatically be restricted after 12 hours by the time on issuing this report.

If you believe you have received this message in error, please make an appeal respectively and message me so i could help you.

-This is Mr.Jones(Official) your Support, How may I help you?
Hello sir!
Yes I received the report according to our coordinator review about illegal activity for Illegal Purchased.
Are you aware that your account will be permanently suspended and locked and if you cant prove yourself that you're not involved in any fraud/scam issues?
Originally posted by CompleteTempestaDiAcciaio✠:
I didn't know about this scam. it happened to me tonight. The user crook who said he had reported is UnderPressure. sent me back to the user (steam!) Mr.Jones(Official). can you confirm that it is a scam? Will I have consequences now?

I'll post the chats=
UnderPressure:

?

UnderPressure:
This is what happened, Because recently I accidentally reported your account for doing illegal purchased instead of someone else and the admin said your account will be suspended

1) it cannot be sufficient to make a report to suspend an account without proof. it is madness2) you must warn that you are wrong3) next time, be careful

UnderPressure:
I used steam ticket man
I'm sorry I tried to tell him that it was a mistake profile ID but he wants you to appeal, can you please help me to explain to him?

I don't know these things (stema ticket man) and I don't even care. they can't do anything without evidence. anyway, what the ♥♥♥♥ am i supposed to do?

UnderPressure:
Ok that's him add him and explain that I report you it was accidentally only please help me to clarify on him I don't know what to do if you will get banned https://steamcommunity.com/id/SteamSupportJones

thanks man. this of steam wants me to prove my innocence to him, and it's not clear how. Certainly I will not give him password and money, so if you are cheating me you will not see 1 euro anyway, and no password. If it is not a scam, we are raping the law: you report and I must prove my innocence, not he who must verify the truth. Thank you very much, thank you very much.

UnderPressure:
Okok

Good day Steam User

This account has been flagged by Steam Support for the theft of other user's Steam accounts. This activity is a violation of the Terms of Service Agreement. Account functionality will automatically be restricted after 12 hours by the time on issuing this report.

If you believe you have received this message in error, please make an appeal respectively and message me so i could help you.

Hello sir!
Yes I received the report according to our coordinator review about illegal activity for Illegal Purchased.
Are you aware that your account will be permanently suspended and locked and if you cant prove yourself that you're not involved in any fraud/scam issues?
The only and most important question is: why do you add every user to your friends list unfiltered?

You know... you could have spared yourself the whole conversation if you'd just clicked "ignore" on a pop-up message that reads "XYZ added you to their friend list."
Last edited by ℑ𝔯𝔲𝔩𝔞𝔫; Apr 25, 2020 @ 7:14pm
Originally posted by 𝙸𝚁𝚄𝙻▲𝙽:
You know... you could have spared yourself the whole conversation if you'd just clicked "ignore" on a pop-up message that reads "XYZ added you to their friend list."

Thats the point, igonore block and move on, i informed a mod, and the impersonator will get punished, but its most likely just another hijacked account.

I'll post the chats=
UnderPressure:

?

UnderPressure:

UnderPressure:
I used steam ticket man

UnderPressure:

UnderPressure:
Okok

Good day Steam User

Hello sir!
The only and most important question is: why do you add every user to your friends list unfiltered?

you are right. and I'm a fool. for fear I also contacted the assistance of steam. Anyway I warned you for these 2 scammers.
you are right. and I'm a fool. for fear I also contacted the assistance of steam. Anyway I warned you for these 2 scammers.

Did you read all the warnings before?

Report the user, but no worry the account will get banned, but like i said, most likely just another hijacked or alt account. Most scammer arn`t that dumb to leave traces.
Many thanks for your warning! I almost fell for the news of two people I don't know! That was a very important safety notice!
Puttonih Apr 26, 2020 @ 3:48am 
Many thanks for your warning! I almost fell for the news of two people I don't know! That was a very important safety notice!
You're welcome!:woodlehappy:
< >
Showing 1-15 of 50 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Apr 21, 2020 @ 9:18am