Muts Mar 26, 2020 @ 2:54am
Slow download speed (Steam only)
Hi,

It's been a few days since I actually downloaded anything through Steam but I had speeds of over 25 Mb/s consistently. Latest I think was Temtem or Battlerite (not sure).

Now I thought, I have some time during the corona crisis, so let's buy HalfLife Alyx! My download is maxed at 1 Mb/s!!! While I can still download other files (through torrent/newsgroup/...) at full speed. Steam is the only program that has it's speed limited.

I tried clearing download cache, changed download region (to 10 different countries), nothing changes (and I don't have a limit set)... Always set at 1 Mb/s (doesn't lower, doesn't go higher more than 100 Kb/s).

I'm also directly connected to my ISP, so no sub-router in between.

Any ideas?

I'm really not in the mood to wait 15 hours before the whole game is downloaded :(

Is everything limited cause of the Corona Virus?
Last edited by Muts; Mar 26, 2020 @ 2:55am
< >
Showing 1-15 of 143 comments
Cathulhu Mar 26, 2020 @ 3:01am 
https://store.steampowered.com/stats/content/
Looks fine to me. At the moment Steam is distributing 6.9Tbps with a peak of 10.4Tbps about two days ago.

I did download something yesterday and it worked fine with my 100MBit connection resulting in 12.5 megabytes per second.
Crazy Tiger Mar 26, 2020 @ 3:32am 
I just downloaded some updates for games and they had the same speed as always.

Try a different download region/server.
endrsgm Mar 26, 2020 @ 4:00am 
could also be the ISP. eu gave them permission/guidance to slow/throttle bandwidth use the other day.
The author of this thread has indicated that this post answers the original topic.
Bio Dec 3, 2020 @ 4:08pm 
Have this same issue as well, only started less than a few months ago however. Downloaded at 50-60 MB (Epic Games downloads at this rate with no problem), yet steam barely breaks the 2 MB peak now, going has down has 200-300KB average download speed.

Tried clearing download cache and chage regions but it did nothing or made it worse.

EDIT:Like other users pointed out where the region is doesnt matter, but preferably if its night time in those areas, it works well like that. Ex: Barely any change in spain or UK servers from portugal, but near perfect to vietnam server
Last edited by Bio; Jan 5, 2021 @ 4:40am
adz Dec 3, 2020 @ 4:20pm 
yeh i guess last few months steam has been having slow downloads, a while ago i was capped at 500kb.. but i can do 14mb.
GoZzo The BOT Dec 3, 2020 @ 5:19pm 
Im having very slow download speeds as well. I dont know whats going on but i have 800 mbps download and 650 mbps upload, and madden is at 4 mbps download right now
Benson Dec 4, 2020 @ 11:21am 
same problem here guys, last two days and i can barely hit 1mbs....absoulte joke. any other site like epic, origin or even gog and i hit my peak dowload speeds all the time.
cSg|mc-Hotsauce Dec 4, 2020 @ 11:24am 
Originally posted by Benson:
same problem here guys, last two days and i can barely hit 1mbs....absoulte joke. any other site like epic, origin or even gog and i hit my peak dowload speeds all the time.

Really?

I'm on the East Coast US and I switched the DL server to one in Asia and it went from a congested, slow speed to this...

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2301936988

:qr:
Luigi Dec 4, 2020 @ 1:17pm 
is that why I have 62 megabits/second only to have it go at 1MB?
Bio Dec 5, 2020 @ 12:43pm 
Changing download regions works to some extend, some people say it fixes perfectly, for me its a mixed bag. Some far away countries give me more speed than closer countries, havent found one that gives me the download speed I should have.
Kitchen Shooter Dec 12, 2020 @ 11:18am 
I'm on this boat too. I still haven't found what is going on. I get 2MB/s, when I should be getting 60MB/s. speedtest and fast.com report the correct speeds, although with the more realistic test https://www.thinkbroadband.com/download I get around 20MB/s which decreases to 8MB/s when downloading the 1Gb file.
So not sure what is the problem, if it just Steam or some other issue when downloading big files.
crunchyfrog Dec 12, 2020 @ 11:48am 
Remember not to fall into the trap others fall into.

Namely do the region dance, and do it correctly!

So, change your donwload region, but the mistake people make here is by thinking it's like online gaming (ie. choose the closest server to you) and that's the OPPOSITE of the right thing to do. Because if your region is busy, then it's highly likely your neighbours are too, right?

So choose ANYWHERE in the world, as ping is irrelevant.

I typically go on Google and look up timezones. See which countries are in the wee hours of the morning and bang, pick one of those. Done.
maks1m.r Dec 23, 2020 @ 6:33am 
I had the same issue. My internet is about 200Mb/s and download was about 1.5 MB/s.
My region is Ukraine, then I switched to German server and the download speed become about 12 Mb/s.
crunchyfrog Dec 23, 2020 @ 10:21am 
Originally posted by maks1m.r:
I had the same issue. My internet is about 200Mb/s and download was about 1.5 MB/s.
My region is Ukraine, then I switched to German server and the download speed become about 12 Mb/s.
Of course this is going to happen, especially now, as we're in the midst of perhaps the record sale.

You are going to get this behaviour for a few weeks.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 143 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Mar 26, 2020 @ 2:54am