DawdlingDan Jul 29, 2018 @ 11:20am
Sign in as offline
Hello, I've always had Steam set up that when I opened Steam, It'd default me to appear as offline. I would then manually change my state to online when I wanted. I think it was a checkbox in the steam settings which allowed this, (automatically sign into friends) or something similar.

Since an update a few days ago, I now always show up as online as default and I can't find the option anymore. Has it been moved somewhere else?
< >
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
Glimmer Jul 29, 2018 @ 11:24am 
The beta client has a convenient access to Offline mode. If you'd like to continue using the current version, there are a few ways to set yourself offline

Method #1:
Steam > Settings > Set Taskbar Preferences
put a check mark next to Offline
Right click on the Steam icon in your task bar and select Offline

-----------------------------------
Method #2:
Create a Steam shortcut and add
-nofriendsui
to the end of the Target field. When you use that shortcut to start Steam, your friends list will be almost identical to the previous version, including the drop down menu with Offline

If you want Steam to start automatically while also disabling the new FriendsUI, put that shortcut into
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\StartUp

-------------------
Method #2.1 (alternative way to disable FriendsUI on auto-start)
add the
-nofriendsui
to the registry entry that controls Steam auto-starting.
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

-----------------------------------
Method #3
Create a shortcut that contains this string
steam://friends/status/offline
cSg|mc-Hotsauce Jul 29, 2018 @ 11:25am 
As of now, in the beta.

• Added 'Do Not Disturb' mode. When selected, the user will receive no notifications from friends or groups, incoming chat messages will not open new chat windows or play an incoming message sound.
  • Added 'Offline' as a selectable status. This will log the user's client out of Steam Friends and the user will appear as offline to their friends.

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/SteamClientBeta#announcements/detail/1721949565424431614

:qr:
Last edited by cSg|mc-Hotsauce; Jul 29, 2018 @ 11:25am
XENOZK Sep 29, 2018 @ 3:33pm 
still no fix for this problem yet??? WOW
XENOZK Sep 29, 2018 @ 3:34pm 
Originally posted by cSg|mc-Hotsauce:
As of now, in the beta.

• Added 'Do Not Disturb' mode. When selected, the user will receive no notifications from friends or groups, incoming chat messages will not open new chat windows or play an incoming message sound.
  • Added 'Offline' as a selectable status. This will log the user's client out of Steam Friends and the user will appear as offline to their friends.

https://steamcommunity.com/groups/SteamClientBeta#announcements/detail/1721949565424431614

Still cant login to friends as offline by default.
cSg|mc-Hotsauce Sep 29, 2018 @ 4:18pm 
Originally posted by XENOZK:
As of now, in the beta.

Invisible does that for you. You appear offline to everyone while still logging into the friends network.

8ullfrog Sep 30, 2018 @ 12:22am 
I'm not in the beta, but by going into the much maligned friends screen, I was able to click the gear icon and set "Sign in to friends when steam client starts" to Off. Then I selected Offline. Hopefully this will do it.
XENOZK Sep 30, 2018 @ 4:48pm 
Originally posted by XENOZK:

Invisible does that for you. You appear offline to everyone while still logging into the friends network.

Originally posted by 8ullfrog:
I'm not in the beta, but by going into the much maligned friends screen, I was able to click the gear icon and set "Sign in to friends when steam client starts" to Off. Then I selected Offline. Hopefully this will do it.

Yes this all works to a degree, but not how it used to, and as my prefered way.....

What i would like to see return is the ability to sign in to friends with appearing offline as default, regardless of how you signed out last session.

As it is right now, if you sign out while appearing offline you will sign in next time appearing offline. Likewise, if you sign out appearing online, you appear online when signing in again.

If you forget to set your chat to appear offline when signing out, you are going to appear online again when signing in, this is a problem if you just want to see whos online but not let everyone know you are on and ready for some gamage.
< >
Showing 1-7 of 7 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Jul 29, 2018 @ 11:20am