Paint the Town Red

Paint the Town Red

Ocean Man's Levels
 This topic has been pinned, so it's probably important
Ocean Man  [developer] Mar 18, 2018 @ 6:51pm
Ask Me Anything
No matter if you have questions about my levels, the workshop in general, editor techniques or to any topic you can imagine.

Feel free to ask them here!
Last edited by Ocean Man; Mar 18, 2018 @ 6:52pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 56 comments
Derp Copter Mar 21, 2018 @ 1:00pm 
How do you make amazing levels?
Ocean Man  [developer] Mar 21, 2018 @ 1:22pm 
Originally posted by Derp Copter:
How do you make amazing levels?
Well, I don't plan that much when I start a new level. I simply have an idea and then I try to realize it. And when I'm stuck I just quit for a day and start again once I got more ideas. :)
Infected Mar 22, 2018 @ 11:15am 
Can you make a Sesame Street in Hell lvl? XD
Ocean Man  [developer] Mar 22, 2018 @ 1:21pm 
Originally posted by Satanic Elmo:
That's a pretty crazy and unique idea. :D
But I guess I'm the wrong type of creator to make it real.
DEady42 May 8, 2018 @ 4:06am 
How to download textures?
Ocean Man  [developer] May 8, 2018 @ 4:58am 
Originally posted by Kotya_Mad_Master Gt42:
How to download textures?
There are two ways to add custom textures into your game:
1. Add new character textures to the editor by clicking "subscribe" on texture packs in the workshop.
2. Download texture replacer packs for the game at nexusmods.com and install them.
napalmbrain May 10, 2018 @ 6:04pm 
I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to get the textures to show up in the game! You said that by subscribing to them, it would add the textures. I look in the skin editor, all over my files, and nothing! Please help me! I don't want to be a snowflake or anything by step-by-step instructions would be best. Thanks man.
Ocean Man  [developer] May 11, 2018 @ 12:37am 
Originally posted by PFC Cole:
I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how to get the textures to show up in the game! You said that by subscribing to them, it would add the textures. I look in the skin editor, all over my files, and nothing! Please help me! I don't want to be a snowflake or anything by step-by-step instructions would be best. Thanks man.
If you subscribe to custom texturepacks on the workshop, you can build characters out of them in the editor.

Just enter the level editor and go to "settings". There you should see some kind of grid and a selection menu, where you can select texture packs from all the texture packs you downloaded.
You have multiple slots now (They're named custom character 1, 2 etc.) where you can mix head and body textures from various packs together.

To add an enemy with custom textures to your level, just create a new enemy and click "appearance" in the enemy menu. If you scroll all the way down now you should see the custom variations at the bottom. And if you choose one of them the enemy should change it's appearance to the custom texture you selected.

Note that this new update mainly revolves around implementing custom textures into your own levels. They don't directly replace any vanilla textures of other levels.
napalmbrain May 11, 2018 @ 1:18pm 
Originally posted by Ocean Man:
Originally posted by PFC Cole:
If you subscribe to custom texturepacks on the workshop, you can build characters out of them in the editor.

Just enter the level editor and go to "settings". There you should see some kind of grid and a selection menu, where you can select texture packs from all the texture packs you downloaded.
You have multiple slots now (They're named custom character 1, 2 etc.) where you can mix head and body textures from various packs together.

To add an enemy with custom textures to your level, just create a new enemy and click "appearance" in the enemy menu. If you scroll all the way down now you should see the custom variations at the bottom. And if you choose one of them the enemy should change it's appearance to the custom texture you selected.

Note that this new update mainly revolves around implementing custom textures into your own levels. They don't directly replace any vanilla textures of other levels.

Thanks man! That really helped! My problem was that I was trying to aply the textures to another level I had downloaded off steam.
Ocean Man  [developer] May 12, 2018 @ 2:51pm 
Originally posted by Fegelein:
how to not get bored makeing a level
We'll for me it's less about getting bored but more about loosing inspiration as you progress.
That's why I always listen to music while I create levels.

Mainly these:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FlxM_0S2lA&t=334s
Last edited by Ocean Man; May 30, 2018 @ 5:06pm
Hotcheeto09 May 12, 2018 @ 2:56pm 
When i try to go to custom texture editor. and when i press "create exampl textures" it doesnt say or pop up anything
Ocean Man  [developer] May 12, 2018 @ 3:06pm 
Originally posted by Agent1337:
When i try to go to custom texture editor. and when i press "create exampl textures" it doesnt say or pop up anything
If you press that button and then go to your custom texture folder, you should see the example texture files. These are really helpful to get started with your custom texture packs.
Ocean Man  [developer] May 13, 2018 @ 10:48pm 
is paint the town your fav game or just one of them?

i always wondered that
It's definately one of my favorite games, since I love games in which you can be creative and build custom content. The whole creating technique of building stuff out of smaller stuff is really fun and it really improved my creativity quite a bit.

But I guess the other reason why I love this game so much and what makes it really unique is it's potential and a strong and awesome community. I can't wait until the day when Paint the Town Red leaves Early Access, since I think then people will experience it's true potential.
Ocean Man  [developer] May 16, 2018 @ 12:18pm 
how did you get the other textures like the katana boss and binker boss?
I extracted them from the game files using the method described in my Texture Pack Replacer Guide.
Grug May 22, 2018 @ 10:41am 
Originally posted by ♥♥♥♥♥♥ Shuckle:
I'll do it!:steamhappy:
< >
Showing 1-15 of 56 comments
Per page: 1530 50