Steam Greenlight
Pay for Votes?
Not sure if this issue has been raised before.

Is there any system in place to stop the potential problem of 'pay for click' style methods for getting votes?

Not sure if many of you have heard of it but companies have been paying people in third world countries like India to 'like' them on fackbook, make fake twitter accounts to follow them, etc. All to boost their apparent popularity.

How easy it would be for some company to use a little investment money to pay a company in India to create a load of steam accounts and vote for their game.
< >
Visar 1-15 av 67 kommentarer
Gorlom[Swe] 21 okt, 2013 @ 12:04 
The steam accounts need to be "valid", which means they need to have paid money for a game, to be able to vote on greenlight.
Skoardy 21 okt, 2013 @ 12:10 
Is a developer paying a company in India to create loads of Steam accounts to vote for their game?

What I mean is - Is this an actual issue or just speculation? Apart from anything, Valve wouldn't reveal whatever measures they'd have in place to detect/stop such a thing, so I don't really think there's much point in discussing it - apart from standing on the sidelines, casting accusations and starting rumours.
Frisky_Bishop 21 okt, 2013 @ 12:13 
pure speculation, whats life without a few conspiracy theories :)
Ursprungligen skrivet av Frisky_Bishop:
...sensible?
CerberuX 21 okt, 2013 @ 14:40 
:P
Gorlom[Swe] 21 okt, 2013 @ 16:28 
Ursprungligen skrivet av -Z-:
Ursprungligen skrivet av Frisky_Bishop:
...sensible?
Madness!1!
linkharden12 22 okt, 2013 @ 0:44 
its been confermed and the devalopers do it to jest ask a few of them
Skoardy 22 okt, 2013 @ 4:29 
So you'll easily be able to provide confirmed reports of such rather than expecting people to take your word for it, I guess?
C0untzer0 22 okt, 2013 @ 4:49 
Dude, he saw it on the internet, what more proof do you need?
Gorlom[Swe] 22 okt, 2013 @ 4:56 
Ponies or it didn't happen!
Frisky_Bishop 22 okt, 2013 @ 8:51 
I only said there was a 'potential' for it,

besides that link guy totally "confermed" [sic] it XD
bvguthrie 22 okt, 2013 @ 20:18 
This was not exactly paying, but it was a chance to get the game free for a vote: http://wildgamestudio.com/wgs3/?p=212.
I doubt any company trying to get through Greenlight would have the funds to do any kind of large-scale paying, so slightly shady things like this are probably as bad as it would get.
Gorlom[Swe] 23 okt, 2013 @ 1:13 
Wouldn't companies with a large enough budget to make this idea viablespend it on 1) developing the game 2) a proper adcampaign or marketing plan. ?
Ursprungligen skrivet av GorlomSwe:
Wouldn't companies with a large enough budget to make this idea viablespend it on 1) developing the game 2) a proper adcampaign or marketing plan. ?
Logic has no place around conspiracy theories.
BadBreath 23 okt, 2013 @ 7:02 
This is yet another reason to do away with Greenlight altogether, and simply open up the platform to all in a SEPERATE section. The system ATM is a joke, you have McNumpty pixelated indie game featured alongside Skyrim, stupid.
Senast ändrad av BadBreath; 23 okt, 2013 @ 7:02
< >
Visar 1-15 av 67 kommentarer
Per sida: 1530 50

Datum skrivet: 21 okt, 2013 @ 11:35