Steam Greenlight
Rabid Aug 23, 2014 @ 7:15pm
Dear Steam.....
It is time to set some kind of standard minimum for greenlight.

After just voting on about 500 games that look like they were made in MS Paint, it is time to step in and have some quality control.
You shouldn't need us to vote on products that are clearly crap or an attempt to make a quick buck.

Is Steam and Valve about games and gamers still or is it just about making a buck now?
Yes I understand I do not have to buy these games, but it makes it hard to find the good ones when you have to sift through thousands of clearly ♥♥♥♥ ones to find them.

Please bring back quality over quantity. When it is almost impossible to get a refund on a product purchased via steam, we need assurances that the games we buy can actually be called games.

Greenlight is a great thing, allowing the community to provide feedback, but you know it is broken when it allows legions of 12 year olds to vote yes on every piece of ♥♥♥♥ they see regardless because purple.

You really need to be doing more to protect those who are the source of your income. No, not the developers, but we the gamers. If not then you need a 24 hour period where we can get a refund no questions asked after purchasing a game and discovering you let another quite clear piece of ♥♥♥♥ on your store.

Not sure why game development and retail seems to be exempt from rules that any other business would be shut down over.

How many Car manufacturers can sell cars with no wheels and get away with it?
How many companies can sell you a TV without a warranty?
How many companies can sell you a ♥♥♥♥♥♥ product with no option to get your money back?
Why should video games be any different?

Any ways this is just my opinion. Nothing will change my mind that modern gaming has gone to ♥♥♥♥, and a broken system is to blame.
So feel free to counter my viewpoints. But I won't be responding. I've said all I have to say here.

</rant>
< >
Showing 1-15 of 61 comments
Rabid Aug 23, 2014 @ 7:18pm 
Just one thing I will add. Please don't say look at the reviews before buying a game.

You honestly cannot go by them any more. As people review favourably and upvote for the lulz alone on some of the worst games going, just look at any game with "Simulator" in its title.
wilco64256 Aug 23, 2014 @ 7:45pm 
The system is working as intended. If you don't like something, don't vote for it. Voters ARE the quality control here.
Black Blade Aug 23, 2014 @ 7:46pm 
Well reading what you say and much of these did not give me much sense.. first of all how did you vote 500 games? did you mean on Greenlight? if so you are doing the QC right there.

Second of all these dose not seem to be much abut Greenlight at least not to me and more abut general QC on Steam, if so it may be better to join in a existing tread abut the subject over at the Steam Public forums

http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/

If i got it wrong feel free to correct me
Rabid Aug 24, 2014 @ 12:27am 
Guess I will reply after all :p
500 was a slight exageration of course. I reviewed about 30 games today. and voted. And I realise it is we gamers voting on them.
It's just like one god awful game after another regardless of your tastes. There is just a level of bad everyone can see, even the blindest fanboy or derpy kid. Steam could just go "No, that is complete ♥♥♥♥. and a scam. Comeback when you're out of primary school and know how to code. We will not waste our customers time with this dribble."

I am all for indie titles but c'mon? So much awful. 50 million RPG games that all look the same made with some 'Drag N Drop' engine. Steam could say, hey sorry we have enough of those right now.
Games that look and play worse than any thing from the 1970.
It's too easy to just make something that is basically a game by definiton, but is just a scam. I mean people are thinking they sell 100000 copies at a buck a piece, what 12 year old isn't going to want to try taking a shot at that, what adult wouldn't? It's pretty much easy money atm.
Get a cheap game engine and just make something with it in a week. Derrp, no effort required, no consequence if you add "early acces" to the proceedings. Just free cash. No refunds required, no promises need be kept.
And it's breeding a swarm of bad developers. pfft developers? Some guy or kid at home going "make munny! I canz yooz compooter" and steam just gets flooded with crap games.
A great many that do make it through greenlight.

I dunno it's just frustrating that more and more I find less and less games that have any kind of skill or imagination put into them. Feels more like shopping for games on an android store than a PC one these days.

So it is about greenlight, I'm all for supporting indie devs, I own a lot of early access.
But it's getting to be like a kid with his hill trolly getting a job with a formula one racing team because he is cute and not because he has formula one qualifiations.

Let the people vote sure, that part is great and makes sense, but at least make sure what we are getting is worth voting on to begin with.
Raise the entry fees or something?

Sorry just frustrates me I guess seeing all these ♥♥♥♥♥♥ assed clones and crap looking games all the time.

Any ways peace out. :lilguppy:
Black Blade Aug 24, 2014 @ 1:59am 
Can you please maybe name so of these so bad games?
To be honest i cant count that many and many times i see people toss numbers with out holding any real water in there

If you meaning to cast some games give some names please, don't just call them bad
Even more when your 500 become 30 that is some what of looks bad..

Over all the games that i contend that many do call bad are:
Air Control
Earth 2080 (something like that) - removed from Steam and refunded

But what more games can you count to get to the level that no one likes them?

(also viewing your reviews you have only 11 public, if that is all your reviews i really like to know were the 19+ games that you review as bad are at)

Edit
Out of these 11 reviews only 4 games were reivew as bad
And just for the point i really do not agree on the review abut "The Plan" and by that review i guess you will say its a game that will not be worth to be on Steam?
Last edited by Black Blade; Aug 24, 2014 @ 2:03am
MTB-Fritz Aug 24, 2014 @ 2:35am 
a good post all in all but your exagarations and lack of facts fail this.....
Skoardy Aug 24, 2014 @ 4:40am 
So if a whole bunch of people like the look of a game, would like to buy it on the Steam store and have all voted for it to come to the Steam store but as long as you don't like it, Steam should reject it? Am I getting this right? People liking things you don't like is upsetting you?
a good post all in all but your exagarations and lack of facts fail this.....
TrickZZter Aug 24, 2014 @ 10:07am 
Do you know that Valve wants to replace Greenlight with self-publishing system? Something like Google Play.
Black Blade Aug 24, 2014 @ 10:08am 
Originally posted by TrickZZter:
Do you know that Valve wants to replace Greenlight with self-publishing system? Something like Google Play.
That was never really said but was more of a guess of the users, over all they said that Greenlight was too slow, what they really mean is was not really told
amerk Aug 24, 2014 @ 11:32am 

Did you know Valve is in contact with aliens in order to send Greenlight into outer space and have Martians control the voting numbers?

See how easy that was.

Just because a rumor is started doesn't make it any more true or plausible. The rumor that GL would evolve has been said for over a year now, and started by Gabe; and yet, nobody ever said GL would go away completely. Also, Valve has said nothing. Gabe said what he'd like for the system, but what he wants and what Valve chooses to do are two different things.

Not to mention the last anybody ever said anything on this was several months ago.
Last edited by amerk; Aug 24, 2014 @ 11:33am
Palad1n Aug 24, 2014 @ 1:05pm 
I can understand where the poster is coming from though, in terms of "quality" games there seem to be a great many that are simply here to try and make a quick $$$ and / or simply a lackluster product.

That said, I do not know how many votes it takes to get a game "greenlit", but it seems as though part of the reason why we have so many games that some may feel are low quality is in fact due to the playerbase on Steam and their ability to vote.

You could have countless number of little kids on here (which frankly scares me) who will vote yes for anything. I have seen quite a few games with just screenshots only and no videos at all to be found that get voted favorably, or games with no real concept or a quick knock off FPS clone.

To see 1000's of greenlit games is scary because it really is time consuming to wade through them all to find the ones that truly deserve the players' attention. I do believe that Steam's business practices are geared more towards the quick $$$ over quality games, based on what I am seeing.

This is ofcourse my opinion and no, I will not give a list of games as examples, there are plenty for anyone to find all through out greenlit games both currently lit and those waiting in process. Muddle through the 1000's currently there, this is not how things should be.
Gorlom[Swe] Aug 24, 2014 @ 1:52pm 
Originally posted by Palad1n:
That said, I do not know how many votes it takes to get a game "greenlit",
LAst I heard the number of votes required to get into the top 100 was around 5 000.
but it seems as though part of the reason why we have so many games that some may feel are low quality is in fact due to the playerbase on Steam and their ability to vote.
ability or inability?
I think the inability lies in their comprehension of the task at hand and the question being asked.
Quite a few seem to make up their own question or simply treat the "yes" and "no" buttons as "like" and "dislike" buttons.
I even saw one guy go full on white knight mode and scold people for voting "no" on a game "just cause it was made by little girls". The complaints made was that the greenlight page showed no gameplay art or story but instead just showed off the formentioned girls and presented them as the developers. He ignored all the complaints and decided that people wqere being sexist and discriminating towards the girl developers and not toward the complete lack of any game (Imo the white knight dude was more sexist than the people "voting" no)

You could have countless number of little kids on here (which frankly scares me) who will vote yes for anything. I have seen quite a few games with just screenshots only and no videos at all to be found that get voted favorably, or games with no real concept or a quick knock off FPS clone.
I shouldn't be too worried. if they vote yes on everything then their votes beomces meaningless. Valve uses a comparative system which means that the games with the most yes "votes" gets looked at by Valve, if the only votes the game you mentiond get s are from people that will uvote "yes" on any- and everything then they won't get more than other games.

To see 1000's of greenlit games is scary because it really is time consuming to wade through them all to find the ones that truly deserve the players' attention. I do believe that Steam's business practices are geared more towards the quick $$$ over quality games, based on what I am seeing.
To be fair they won't really be arriving in the store at the same time... These are games that has gotten greenlit over the past 2-3 years and a majority of them has not made it to the store yet.
Last edited by Gorlom[Swe]; Aug 24, 2014 @ 2:15pm
Zeon Aug 24, 2014 @ 5:57pm 
Originally posted by Skoardy:
So if a whole bunch of people like the look of a game, would like to buy it on the Steam store and have all voted for it to come to the Steam store but as long as you don't like it, Steam should reject it? Am I getting this right? People liking things you don't like is upsetting you?

Your'e right Skoardy. They should go with there votes, and if steam sees alot of good reviews it would be added into the store. If they ses alot of bad reviews. they would reject it. Idk what will happen if good and bad review are the same amount.
Last edited by Zeon; Aug 24, 2014 @ 5:58pm
Zeon Aug 24, 2014 @ 6:01pm 
That is just the worst idea ever. Why would valve do that?
Last edited by Zeon; Aug 24, 2014 @ 6:02pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 61 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Aug 23, 2014 @ 7:15pm