Team Fortress 2

Team Fortress 2

Have you got what it takes?
Create and submit new items (such as hats, weapons, badges, boots, and more) for consideration to be incorporated into the actual game. Click here to learn more.
Woedenaz 3 Jun 22, 2012 @ 11:21pm
Add Maps to the Workshop?
I think it would be a fantastic idea to add Custom Maps to the workshop. There's a plethora of them out there and I don't think they get nearly the exposure they deserve.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 41 comments
tyler 7 Jun 22, 2012 @ 11:28pm 
Not a bad idea. It would be interesting if server owners could choose to install maps on their server through the Workshop, and then their server could be updated with the most recent version of that map as the author updates it. Kind of a centralized place for new maps and updates.
Woedenaz 3 Jun 23, 2012 @ 1:58pm 
Oh yay, a spammer.:|
Post Script Jun 23, 2012 @ 2:36pm 
Sounds good! :D
UncleAugie69 Jun 24, 2012 @ 12:12am 
tue shay
Woedenaz 3 Jun 24, 2012 @ 1:14pm 
Took me significantly too long to realize what you were saying there, Spyhunting.
SapphSky Jun 24, 2012 @ 3:07pm 
You can submit maps, just as long as they are within the requirements. http://tf2maps.net is home to many tf2 maps, some there even made it in.
Dawson Dancy Jun 24, 2012 @ 9:45pm 
ur prettttttty right my ♥♥♥♥♥♥
Woedenaz 3 Jun 25, 2012 @ 12:22pm 
I'm fully aware of tf2maps, CloudMario. But I think yyler's suggestion is even more important.
Captdoe1 Jun 25, 2012 @ 2:02pm 
I wish you could make maps in Team Fortress 2 Beta, but Idk because its not working for me XD
bigshep Jun 26, 2012 @ 2:29pm 
If somehow (this would probaly never happen) Valve could team up with tf2maps.com and cloudmario.com and many other Team Fortress map sites. Admins can easily go to that one workshop page (and this would have the same maps uploaded in both sites, but the only problem would be copies of the maps) then install it, in-game.
Last edited by bigshep; Jun 30, 2012 @ 7:15am
Pacifist Jun 26, 2012 @ 10:06pm 
I like this, especially Big Shep's idea.
Woedenaz 3 Jun 27, 2012 @ 1:24am 
Honestly, I don't care how they do it. I just think it needs to be done. Maps are bizarrely under-appreciated. They take so much time and effort with so little reward. A little more community exposure on the Workshop would really do wonders.
The_Ulf Jun 27, 2012 @ 3:40pm 
I am all for this! The success of Portal 2's perpetual testing initiative lends this some solid credence, I am confident that a good solution could be implemented for TF2.
Ravidge 14 Jun 27, 2012 @ 4:38pm 
The most important factor for a Map workshop section is the integration with servers. Where server owners can subscribe to maps and have them automatically uploaded/patched as needed.
Client subscriptions are less important but I don't think it hurts to have it?

If there's a huge issue with bandwidth usage, then limit the workshop to be only for Server subscription, that alone would help so much.

The largest hurdle for a mapper is not actually making the map, it's to get it played. If you don't have a friendly server host with a community that appriciates custom maps, it's near impossible to get consistent tests and feedback. And then once you're happy with the result, getting it beyond that test-server to reach a wider audience is hard. And only a handful of maps ever get out of that situation.

Even if the map is perfect, and it's the best map ever created, if it's custom there's 2 things that will annoy the server owners who run the map:
1. They need a dedicated web server just so connecting clients can get the map.
2. Maps get updated on a regular basis and to keep up the admins need to manually update and upload for themselves. If 40 servers is running the map, getting all of them to update when the mapper releases a new version is impossible. It can take months before the admins realize/care about it.

Custom maps need to get back in the spotlight. Counter-strike (first one) had no official maps, they were all community made. TF and TFC maps were made by the community... I think the workshop could really help bring custom maps back, to be seen as something GREAT instead of just a nuisance.
Woedenaz 3 Jun 27, 2012 @ 5:05pm 
Seriously. Exactly what ravidge said. All of it. It's like he pulled words from my brain chicken and fried them into a delicious brain mcnugget.
< >
Showing 1-15 of 41 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Jun 22, 2012 @ 11:21pm