lart Oct 12, 2012 @ 6:28pm
Steam Games not compatible with Windows 8?
Hello,
this post is not about the quality of Windows 8, why Metro is bad or not and so on.
After searching the forums and not being able to find any information on this I just wanted to ask whether anyone has seen a list of Games on Steam that will not run anymore with Windows 8 or only with weird compatibility settings.
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
< >
Gateway2009 Oct 12, 2012 @ 8:30pm 
None of them not a single game will work until the api changes
Lance DeBard Oct 16, 2012 @ 8:25pm 
umm I am using Windows 8 and I play games
Lance DeBard Oct 16, 2012 @ 8:25pm 
no problems at all forever
Lance DeBard Oct 16, 2012 @ 8:26pm 
it would probably be the dot netframework that would give problems
Judge Rage Oct 26, 2012 @ 10:06am 
So, is there any form of resolution to this after the launch of windows 8 weither or not steam games worth with it fine? Or are a lot of them still buggy.
Kiya Oct 26, 2012 @ 10:28am 
Someone posting this morning said that all he needed to do was to verifify integrity of game cache for each game, then they worked.
lart Oct 28, 2012 @ 8:13am 
So I did a fresh install and tried a few games. The result is quite underwhelming.

Lets start with a few zombie games.

- Deadlight - Working fine - with XBOX360 Controller
- Dead Rising 2 - No GFWL (aka now saves), No Controller
- Dead Rising 2 - OTR - Crash to Desktop
- Telltales The Walking Dead - Crash to Desktop - Manually find and insert a new dinput8.dll to make it work

Thats 2 1/2 not working out of 4

- Dark Souls - Crash to Desktop (GFWL & Windows 8 feels broken at this moment)
- Dishonored - Working - Original XBOX360 controller is not however. Analog controller is not working. The as if you use the wrong dinput8.dll in The Walking Dead

Thats just a few games I tested to this point.

Update:
Most of the games work now.
1. The Windows 8 Xbox360 Driver does not work with the analog stick. Installing the Wndows 7 Xbox360 driver from the accessory pack solved all controller issues.
2. As in the Darksouls FAQ, the GFWL that comes with many games does not work. Solution is to uninstall GFWL and download the most recent release.
Last edited by lart; Oct 28, 2012 @ 9:42am
Dominus Primus 932 Oct 28, 2012 @ 8:26am 
I tested Doom 3 BFG last night after upgrading from Win7 and it worked. This morning, however, I cannot run ME2. I expected problems and was right, but I'm sure it will all be worked out soon.
The Hunt33r Oct 28, 2012 @ 8:32am 
Hi ! Just same problem. I got W8 yesterday, and tried to play this morning.
What is not working :
GTA IV
GTA : Episodes from Liberty City
S.T.A.L.K.E.R Call of Pripyat (the process launched, but nothing)
Apparemment, From Dust (updating OVER and OVER)
Darksiders 2 (Darksiders 2.exe stopped working)
The Darkness II
Counter Strike : Source
Borderlands 2
Those with nothing between () just don't launch after Preparation.
I tried to uninstall and reinstall and nothing changed.

The Hunt33r Oct 28, 2012 @ 8:43am 
On WinXP, you can't play all games and can't enjoy DX11 ^^'
Satoru Oct 28, 2012 @ 10:15am 
Originally posted by Charles Guequierre:
Why don't you all stick with WinXP as I do? ;P

Because pretty much any game scheduled to come out next year will not support XP
Spawn of Totoro Oct 28, 2012 @ 10:20am 
May have to wait a month or two (or three, or four) with Windows 8. Developers, Steam, Device makers and even Microsoft need time to make patches and fix problems.

This why I got the Windows 8 Upgrade Retail package from Staples. I'm sitting on it untill the problems are worked out, then I'll install it. And it only cost me $40.

Though MS has a sale on it untill Jan. 1st, 2013. You can get it for $40 + Mediaplayer for free. Yes, they are charging extra for Mediaplayer people.
Last edited by Spawn of Totoro; Oct 28, 2012 @ 10:20am
Showing 1-12 of 12 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50
Date Posted: Oct 12, 2012 @ 6:28pm