Hyatice Dec 13, 2012 @ 6:04pm
Windows 8 and Steam
First thing's first: Don't, please, say that the issue is Windows 8; I know like 80% of you guys are probably hating on it, but hey, I like it.

So, for most everything (including Steam chat windows) I can have a metro app full-screen on a second monitor without any problems.
Edit: This also applies when the 'docked' app is on the larger side of the screen.

But when I click on the Steam Friends window, or the main Steam window, it automatically switches my second monitor to the Desktop. I haven't had this happen with any other apps or programs, and I can't figure out what causes it.
It happens when Steam is in full screen or windowed mode. It happened before the "Big Picture" update was pushed through as well, in case you were wondering.

Perhaps weirdest of all is that it only does it once I close and re-open all my steam windows. So if I start Steam and simply minimize the main Steam window without ever closing it, I never get the issue. The moment I close it and then open it from the tray icon, I can't click on the Steam window without it minimizing my apps on my second monitor.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4780235/Before%20Click.png
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4780235/After%20Click.png

The only differences between these two screenshots is that I clicked on the Steam window. Seriously, that's it.
Last edited by Hyatice; Dec 13, 2012 @ 6:21pm
Showing 1-15 of 65 comments
< >
Spawn of Totoro Dec 13, 2012 @ 6:11pm 
Steam can't use the MetroUI. MS desided to restrict access to the metroUI to apps sold through it's own store.

In order for Steam to access the MetroUI, it needs to adhear to MS's requirements for apps to be sold in said store.

Untill then, Steam is considered a Desktop mode app, and can not use the MetroUI,
Last edited by Spawn of Totoro; Dec 13, 2012 @ 6:12pm
Hyatice Dec 13, 2012 @ 6:13pm 
... I don't understand where you're coming from sir, I never said that was my issue. Steam is causing metro apps to minimize and be replaced by the Desktop, on a second monitor, only when I click on the window, and only when I've closed the Steam window and re-opened it.

It has nothing to do with Steam not being a metro app. As far as I can tell it might be something with Steam possibly creating a false position on the screen and tricking the computer into thinking it's stretching across 2 monitors. (It does exactly the same thing as if you took a Browser window and dragged it so that the side goes onto the second monitor)
Hyatice Dec 13, 2012 @ 6:16pm 
Here's something to give you an idea of what's going on. The top screen (1920x1080) is my main monitor, I use it as my desktop environment, and usually have either Netflix fullscreen on the bottom, or netflix/skype, or netflix/mail, or mail/skype on the bottom. You get the idea.

If I have Steam open on the top screen, and I click inside the window, it will minimize the 'larger' app, or the fullscreen app on the bottom screen.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4780235/Screencap.png
Spawn of Totoro Dec 13, 2012 @ 6:21pm 
It does though, maybe in part atleast. If Steam accesses anything the system will change to the desktop mode. If you get a message or alert, even if it starts a download.

As for the two screens, that would have to be a settings issue. Is Steam going into big picture mode when this happenes?
Spawn of Totoro Dec 13, 2012 @ 6:22pm 
Originally posted by -Δ- Hyatice:
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4780235/Screencap.png

Can you give a pic of the problem too?
Hyatice Dec 13, 2012 @ 6:23pm 
And let me clarify, it's ONLY steam, any other program on my desktop does not make the bottom screen minimize. Hell, I can play a full-screen video game on the top screen and it won't minimize the bottom Metro apps.

It also wouldn't explain why completely exiting Steam and then re-opening it for the first time leaves me without any issues at all. It's only once I re-open it by either clicking my Steam shortcut on my Taskbar/Desktop or by double clicking the tray icon.
Last edited by Hyatice; Dec 13, 2012 @ 6:30pm
Spawn of Totoro Dec 13, 2012 @ 6:33pm 
Define "exiting steam". Compleatly close? or Minimize?
Hyatice Dec 13, 2012 @ 6:35pm 
To fix the issue: Completely close, right click Tray icon, Exit, re-launch. Steam and Metro play friendly until I close all Steam WINDOWS, leaving the Steam service running, and then once again re-open a WINDOW by clicking on the Steam tray icon, or by clicking on a Steam shortcut.

Also, notifications do not cause the Metro apps to minimize.

I think I can safely clarify after tinkering with Alt+Tab that it's not only when I "click" on the Steam window, it's whenever Steam becomes the 'main focus' app.
Last edited by Hyatice; Dec 13, 2012 @ 6:39pm
Spawn of Totoro Dec 13, 2012 @ 6:38pm 
http://answers.pu barticles.com/59476,windows-8-dual-monitor-problem-help-1345529306.html

May have to remove the space. It is censored for some reason.

This person seems to have the same issue, and it doesn't involve steam.

I'm still doing some research. I'll get back to you.

Can you please post a pic of the problem so I can see it?
Last edited by Spawn of Totoro; Dec 13, 2012 @ 6:40pm
Hyatice Dec 13, 2012 @ 6:39pm 
^ There are two screenshots in the first post detailing it.
Hyatice Dec 13, 2012 @ 6:41pm 
And that person's issue is not the same as mine. His has to do with leaving the Start menu open while interacting with the other window, which as far as I know is not possible by Microsoft's design.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/4780235/Start%20Menu.png

He was trying to achieve this, and be able to leave the start menu (bottom) open all the time without minimizing when interacting with other apps.
Last edited by Hyatice; Dec 13, 2012 @ 6:42pm
Spawn of Totoro Dec 13, 2012 @ 6:53pm 
Well, either way, you are the only one with this issue. No one else, so we can safely say it isn't Steam, but is a configuration and/or conflict problem some where.

They have announced a multi-monitor enhancement coming though.

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2012/05/21/enhancing-windows-8-for-multiple-monitors.aspx

Maybe that will fix it.

In the mean time, I suggest posting your problem in the Microsoft Site as well. They have experts there who can help you better with finding the cause and fixing it.

I can't find anything to fix your issue. Sorry I couldn't have been more helpful.
Last edited by Spawn of Totoro; Dec 13, 2012 @ 6:53pm
Hyatice Dec 13, 2012 @ 7:04pm 
No problem, google wasn't helping me out either, that's why I came here.

I don't know if I'm the only one with the issue; I can have my coworker with Win8 test this for me and post results.

And, honestly, the combined total amount of people who have all the same variables as me is probably less than 20 right now, combined with Win8 being fairly new, thus it wouldn't be vocalized yet.
The variables being: Win8, dual monitor setup, using Steam and metro apps at the same time.

Thank you for your input, though.

And I still am under the belief that it is Steam at fault, at least in some way, as opening it for the first time after a reboot, or closing (Tray > Exit) and reopening it fixes it, until I exit out of the Steam window. I'll tinker around with Steam settings and see if anything works.

The issue comes around with each new Steam window that is opened and then closed. For example, if I were to open Steam Settings, with a metro app open, click around on it, it will not minimize. If I close Steam Settings, then re-open it, it minimizes. The same applies to Small Mode, Friends List, "Add a Game" etc.
Last edited by Hyatice; Dec 13, 2012 @ 7:07pm
Spawn of Totoro Dec 13, 2012 @ 7:10pm 
Less then that, the actualy, in the linked I posted it states only 13.48% of desktop users use dual monitors.

Still think it has something to do with the MetroUI though. I am running windows 8, but no second monitor.

Like I said, ask in the MS forums. They have helped me a lot with problems I couldn't solve.
Last edited by Spawn of Totoro; Dec 13, 2012 @ 7:11pm
Hyatice Dec 13, 2012 @ 7:15pm 
Could be some combination of both, or possibly the new DWM in Windows 8 conflicting with something that Steam has potentially always done.
Possibly some kind of conflicting pointer correlation between the "Window Location/Size" cache in DWM and Steam having a similar pointer of its own? << Which would make sense considering it's only on windows that have been open once before during that session of Steam and then being reopened.
Last edited by Hyatice; Dec 13, 2012 @ 7:16pm
Showing 1-15 of 65 comments
< >
Per page: 15 30 50