ratoN♛ Nov 18, 2014 @ 2:09am
My skins gone from my inventory, HELP me maybe?
Hey, yesterday i started to trade through ♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥, i had four items, p250 splash and M4A1-S guardian (to cheap items, ♥♥♥♥ em). Someone offered me a knife and sent me a picture link, it was saved as a screensaver, i opened it, it didn't open and the next minute i checked my items they were gone, not all of them but only my skins. I don't know if it was his fault or the STEAM fault, but all that matters is my skins. Was he some kind of a hacker or whatever? I'm new to this STEAM thing.
Thanks!
< >
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
Cathulhu Nov 18, 2014 @ 2:10am 
http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/1/35221584722506312/
You seem also to be new at computers and common sense.
Why in the hell would you execute a Screensaver file from a total stranger? They are nothing more than an EXE with another name. He wasn't a hacker, he was a phiser and you fell for it like a dumb idiot.
ratoN♛ Nov 18, 2014 @ 2:40am 
Originally posted by Cathulhu:
Why in the hell would you execute a Screensaver file from a total stranger? They are nothing more than an EXE with another name. He wasn't a hacker, he was a phiser and you fell for it like a dumb idiot.
Dude, how the ♥♥♥♥ could i know that a screensaver can make my items delete? Okay, but thanks for the answer anyway.
crunchyfrog Nov 18, 2014 @ 2:46am 
You need to do the following:

Firstly contact support (you'll need to create a support account if you don't have one). Ask them for the items back.

Now you MUST remove the malware. Follow these steps precisely:
(1) Run your antivirus suite's INTENSIVE scan and let it remove any nasty stuff. When finished, download Malwarebytes' Antimalware and let that do the same.
(2) Reboot your PC.
(3) Run them both again, one after the other. If they remove nothing further, NOW change your passwords to Steam and your email. If data IS still removed, go back to step (2)
Cathulhu Nov 18, 2014 @ 2:54am 
Originally posted by catalysT:
Dude, how the ♥♥♥♥ could i know that a screensaver can make my items delete? Okay, but thanks for the answer anyway.
Your common sense would have told you that a screensaver file would be suspicious as hell. A 5 second search with Google would have confirmed that.
Last edited by Cathulhu; Nov 18, 2014 @ 2:55am
crunchyfrog Nov 18, 2014 @ 2:56am 
Your common sense would have told you that a screensaver file would be suspicious as hell. A 5 second search with Google would have confirmed that.

Let's not be harsh here. Anyone can make mistakes. The question is whether they learn or not.

ratoN♛ Nov 18, 2014 @ 3:12am 
Originally posted by crunchyfrog:

Firstly contact support (you'll need to create a support account if you don't have one). Ask them for the items back.

(1) Run your antivirus suite's INTENSIVE scan and let it remove any nasty stuff. When finished, download Malwarebytes' Antimalware and let that do the same.
(2) Reboot your PC.
(3) Run them both again, one after the other. If they remove nothing further, NOW change your passwords to Steam and your email. If data IS still removed, go back to step (2)
Do you think that this will help me get back my data?
crunchyfrog Nov 18, 2014 @ 3:14am 

(2) Reboot your PC.

I'm a user just like you. I cannot tell you.

All I will add is that Valve are under NO OBLIGATION WHATSOEVER to do so, but they may well do so for a first time only. They won't if you've had this done before.
ratoN♛ Nov 18, 2014 @ 3:15am 

All I will add is that Valve are under NO OBLIGATION WHATSOEVER to do so, but they may well do so for a first time only. They won't if you've had this done before.
Thank you for your help man.
crunchyfrog Nov 18, 2014 @ 3:16am 

Thank you for your help man.

You're most welcome. That's what we're here for - to help make this place better for others.
muckymucks Nov 18, 2014 @ 3:18am 
The weakest link of any security system is the user.
< >
Showing 1-10 of 10 comments
Per page: 1530 50

Date Posted: Nov 18, 2014 @ 2:09am