Furritto May 5, 2015 @ 3:36am
"Steam must be running to play this game"
So i installed a game and whenever i run it it says that Steam must be running to play this game, but it steam IS running. And when I unselect Run as Administrator it says that it couldn't write a file. The hard drive is probably full, while i still have 1.49 Terabytes free space left.
Is there a fix for this?
< >
Showing 1-15 of 22 comments
ONe_mOMENT May 5, 2015 @ 4:19am 
What game is it that your trying top launch?
Last edited by ONe_mOMENT; May 5, 2015 @ 4:20am
Alcator May 5, 2015 @ 4:50am 
Originally posted by ItzDennisz:
So i installed a game and whenever i run it it says that Steam must be running to play this game, but it steam IS running. And when I unselect Run as Administrator it says that it couldn't write a file. The hard drive is probably full, while i still have 1.49 Terabytes free space left.
Is there a fix for this?

Double click the STEAM icon (typically minimized in the System notification tray at the bottom right corner) - the Steam interface/client should open as a big window.

At the top, click on LIBRARY (second option from the left, big letters).

The LIBRARY is your, well, library of purchased or otherwise acquired games, software, movies etc.

The game you want to play should be visible in the left panel of the LIBRARY view - find it, click on it. The rest of the LIBRARY view should now populate with useful information about your game, and at the top of it, just below the name of the game, you should see a blue button that says PLAY. Click on it. Steam will launch the game properly.
The End May 5, 2015 @ 4:54am 
So i installed a game and whenever i run it it says that Steam must be running to play this game

You do not have any games on your profile.

Last edited by The End; May 5, 2015 @ 4:57am
You do not have any games on your profile.??

The End May 5, 2015 @ 5:18am 
No. this still gives me the same error

What game is it, and where did you get it from?
Alcator May 5, 2015 @ 5:32am 
Originally posted by Rockon:
So i installed a game and whenever i run it it says that Steam must be running to play this game

You do not have any games on your profile.

If that is indeed true, then,

ItzDennisz, be aware that your computer literacy is probably very low (= you don't know enough about how to use a computer), so you are in serious risk of being tricked into doing something really stupid with your computer and getting into trouble.

Please find a trusted person who understands computers, ideally someone who is using Steam for years already, and who will walk you through the basics and advanced things personally.

Also, please be aware that some people may give you wrong advice, such as "Hey, install this cool program and you will make million headshots in your game! Automatically!" - you might lose your account or multiplayer capabilities with crap like that.
Santa 🎅 May 5, 2015 @ 5:57am 
OneChuck May 5, 2015 @ 6:24am 
Black Blade May 6, 2015 @ 2:24pm 
Originally posted by Alcator:
If that is indeed true, then,

ItzDennisz, be aware that your computer literacy is probably very low (= you don't know enough about how to use a computer), so you are in serious risk of being tricked into doing something really stupid with your computer and getting into trouble.

Please find a trusted person who understands computers, ideally someone who is using Steam for years already, and who will walk you through the basics and advanced things personally.

Also, please be aware that some people may give you wrong advice, such as "Hey, install this cool program and you will make million headshots in your game! Automatically!" - you might lose your account or multiplayer capabilities with crap like that.
Can be a Free to play game you know -_-

Any how OP
I think run as Administrator fix that in most cases, but seem like it dose not in your case
Did you try to vrife files for the game?

Also what game are you trying to run?
rebelljake Oct 9, 2015 @ 12:12am 
any game i try to play on steam that is not steam powered gives me the same error
Black Blade Oct 10, 2015 @ 10:01am 
Originally posted by rebelljake:
any game i try to play on steam that is not steam powered gives me the same error
What you mean that its not steam powered?
Did you also try the fixes before?
rebelljake Oct 26, 2015 @ 11:11am 
Originally posted by Black Blade:
What you mean that its not steam powered?
Did you also try the fixes before?
it does not say steampowered in the list of OS when i download from steam just shows the windows logo
Black Blade Oct 26, 2015 @ 1:16pm 
it does not say steampowered in the list of OS when i download from steam just shows the windows logo
You mean Steam play? that dose not mean it needs Steam
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9439-QHKN-1308
rebelljake Oct 26, 2015 @ 4:07pm 
Originally posted by Black Blade:
You mean Steam play? that dose not mean it needs Steam
https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=9439-QHKN-1308
it still says that steam must be running i have tried launching from start menu,as administrator and everything it gives me the same error everytime
Black Blade Oct 26, 2015 @ 4:31pm 
it still says that steam must be running i have tried launching from start menu,as administrator and everything it gives me the same error everytime
did you try to see if Steam has an update?

if that dose not work, you may want to consider to refresh steam files, as something may have messed up on the update
That or try to move out and back to beta
Last edited by Black Blade; Oct 26, 2015 @ 4:32pm
< >
Showing 1-15 of 22 comments
Per page: 1530 50